Thread: Winter Prep?

RC Racer

Winter Prep?

Is there anything I should do to prepare my Revo for winter? I will mainly be driving it through fresh, soft, clean snow. How do I protect the electronics? Also, will the motor be fine? Will it even run in temps of -10C (15F)?

Thanks!
    Slash 4x4 w/TSM
    Revo 3.3

RC Racer
    I think to get the engine started keep it warm inside just before staring it. Once it's running I think it would be okay unless it's a brand new engine. The main problem will be keeping snow out of the radio and servo areas. It's not water proof at all and will need something done to protect it. I don't think water is very good on the bearings either. The bearings are sealed as long as your seals are still good.

RC Competitor
    Ive found that winter time is best for doin your upgrades, touchin up on any loose screws/bolts and such. I dont run in the snow for the exact reason toaster said, its not waterproof. Im orderin alum upgrades over the winter and goin do a tear down rite before the nice weather breaks in the spring

If you have the bug to do so then per the manual put a baby sock or aluminum foil around the cooling head. Don't lean the mixture just to get the engine warm. Balloon the electronics and use waterproof servos.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    I just spent probably half the day Saturday and half of Sunday doing a complete tear down of my revo. I like to take basically every singe piece apart and wash them off individually. It's pretty much impossible to get all the dirt off any other way. I know probably a waist of time but I like to take things apart and put them back together. I also like having it all cleaned up and looking like a brand new revo other than the body and a few scratches on some plastic parts. Im still amazed at the engineering and design of this rc and all the work that must have gone into making it.
    I've been thinking about getting a new trx-4 and was hoping if I spent some time with my revo I'd get a little burnt out on the rc thing but now I think I only want to try the trx-4 even more.
    I guess I need something different now to play with in the winter since my revo is all cleaned up and ready to go again.

^ Totally agree! I found that I got a better understanding of all of my RCs be taking them completely apart. Plus you can detect any failures before they happen (at least I like to think so LOL).
    Revo .18TM
    BL Rustler
    Stampede
    HPI Sprint 2

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by roadsideracoon View Post
    Is there anything I should do to prepare my Revo for winter? I will mainly be driving it through fresh, soft, clean snow. How do I protect the electronics? Also, will the motor be fine? Will it even run in temps of -10C (15F)?

Thanks!
    Yes the engine will run in those cold temps. It's best to keep it at a warmer temp when first starting, either by being inside your house just before you start or somehow bring a hair dryer/heat gun to where you are and blowing some warm air before you start. Once started the owners manual gives some good tips on how to run in colder weather. As someone else stated, do not lean the carb just to get the temps up.

As far as electronics go the best way is to run with water proof servos. If that's not an option you can literally or figuratively 'dip' them with PlastiDip. The receiver box you can put inside a balloon then re-attach it to the chassis and close off the opening although I believe it already comes with a rubber seal.