RC Enthusiast

Strip and rebuild Diffs

I'm just stripping and rebuilding my slash 4x4 and noticed the rear diffs are quite a lot stiffer than the front. Is this normal? Holding the diff in my hand is quite hard to turn but not impossible. The front is a lot freerer. Thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    have you opened them up an inspected them? has it ever been rebuilt before? there is fluid in there, and they may be different weights... it is also possible you have one that all the fluid hasseeped out due to a bad seal.....when I rebuild my diffs, I run heavy weight in them, and almost can't spin them by hand

I read in your other thread that you got your trucks used. Unless you contact the person you bought them from, the only way to know what is in the differentials is to take them apart. Before you do that, I highly recommend that you have rebuild kits ready. Like Jimbo, I also use very thick differential fluid. In the rear I have been using 500,000 weight fluid. I usually leave the front the stock 30,000 weight.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    im running 7k/60k/and I forget off hand what im running in the rear. but im doing it for racing purposes.

RC Enthusiast
    I’m going to open them up tomorrow and clean / rebuild. I’ve ordered some 30k for front and 10k for rear. I’ll only be racing my boy!

I would recommend that you get a lot of different weights of oil. That way you can experiment and find what you like the best. What surface will you be running on?
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I would recommend that you get a lot of different weights of oil. That way you can experiment and find what you like the best. What surface will you be running on?
    Mostly gravel. dirt, grass - Bit of tarmac now and again

RC Enthusiast
    I went with 30k / 10k in the end. Very satisfying stripping them out and rebuilding!

Every diff is shimmed different. You just have to see what you can get away with. Refer to the traxxas diff exploded views for assembly. Make sure there is only one shim on the outdrive gear behind the blue rubber seal. If both outdrive gears have a shim under the blue seal it will be very hard to turn. You could have a situation where a diff with 10k fluid turns harder that one with 60k fluid if it has too many shims. Hope this helps. Also note if your using a steel I-bar there is a certain way it goes in.
    https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-ML-121120.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    115 mph Heavily Moddified Slash 4x4 on 6s