Thread: Summit FPV club

Summit FPV club

With the recent boom in drone and quadcopter technology their first person view equipment has slowly made onto traditional 4 wheeled rc. And the summit appears to be the most popular 4 wheeled fpv platform in use. I have noticed four of our forum members, myself included, who have jumped on the summit fpv bandwagon. Over in the rcgroups forum they have the FPV Tonka summit group going strong. Anyone here sporting fpv equipment in the summits please post with details about your set up and possibly some videos and pictures.

Traxxalu
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...xas-summit-FPV

GSSP
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...t-Trailer-Test

Thundermaxx
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...t-fpv-1-3-help!!
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Racer
    don't tempt me

I've got all the stuff to made it... a drone waiting in a box for some motivation...
    but I think the SC8 roll cage that I use is too low for a good support for the cam... hummm you give me the need to test this...

maybe....
    "souvent fauchť toujours marteau !"

Can you mount the camera to the inside of the sc8 roll cage hanging down?
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

Even Walmart / Newbright is in on fpv groundpounders

cheap truck
    cheap radio system
    cheap fpv (wifi? ) link

but the same idea
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Racer
    I just tried it with the cam on the inside of roof, and it seems to be doable...

I will work on it as soon as I've got some time
    "souvent fauchť toujours marteau !"

RC poster
    Just rigged my summit up for FPV. I'm using two cameras, coupled with a remote source switcher to change between them. One is under the roof bar looking over the bonnet (it was going to be inside the 'cab' but the bonnet restricted the view too much)

The second camera (RunCam Eagle - great image quality) is mounted in a carbon fiber extension bar hanging from the back which gives me a similar camera angle to video games and is a lot of fun, but not any good for jumps. Suits me fine as I'm mostly into trail driving. I've also positioned a LiPo alarm where I can see the voltage readout

For video transmission I'm using a ~4 watt 1.2Ghz transmitter and a ground station I've built which contains a 1.2ghz receiver and a 5.8ghz transmitter so I can use my 5.8ghz FPV goggles without messing around with cables. The ground station also has A/V out so I can hook up either a DVR or a LCD monitor

For control, I'm using a Dragonlink UHF module (picture here attached to my Taranis for drone flying) which uses input from the regular 2.4Ghz Traxxas iQ's receiver via a PWM > PPM encoder. As the Dragonlink has two programmable 3-pos switches on it, this adds the extra channels I need for switching the FPV cameras

Last edited by Cyber; 11-29-2017 at 10:46 PM.

That 1.3ghz 4watt ground station looks killer. With the 5.8ghz mounted inside I see why you needed a fan. Looking good.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

Had one but took it off to make nv helment.
    Micro camera with night vision with a 5.8 transmitter running off a 7 cell battery. I might set it back up this winter with a gimble and larger controller
    Last edited by rustlerstein; 11-30-2017 at 01:25 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Last edited by boilo56; 02-01-2018 at 10:20 PM. Reason: bad links.
    Summit RX8/1550kv-Slash4x4 MM2/2400kv Twin-V Merv.

RC Qualifier
    My slow boat order just arrived today. Itís a cheap starter setup from AliExpress Iím sure I will upgrade as the desire for increased range will probably get me.

For now Iím actually more interested in a covert night ops kind of Summit/FPV setup. The camera I got has automatic day/night switching and Iím playing around with IR led setups.

I will see about digging up my old build thread (might need a big shovel) and getting it up to date.

This is one of the IR LED setups I will be playing with (Next to the faux Summit light bar)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

glad to see this thread alive and well.

Just last month I found that green dash cam jeep on sale at a swap meet for $10 . I purchased it for my son. The truck is ok but the fpv experience is horrible. It sends off a wifi signal which is captured by your smart phone. But the signal is VERY SLOW . You can drive two feet before the image even moves.

I finally got my SummVee FPV up and running on 1.3ghz. Using 2 Cloverleaf antenna I can get about 4 blocks away (through houses and trees before I lose my video signal. I just purchased a pepperbox antenna which should give me greater video range.

My next issue is driving the truck with a Taranis and 433mhz EZUHF system is great for control range but driving a truck with sticks takes some getting used to. So I ran across this

Its a 3d printed tranmitter that can house the internals of a 12 channel airplane radio. I took 30+ hours to print all four parts, now I need to buy the Taranis QX7 radio ( $109) and give it a good paint job.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    glad to see this thread alive and well.

Just last month I found that green dash cam jeep on sale at a swap meet for $10 . I purchased it for my son. The truck is ok but the fpv experience is horrible. It sends off a wifi signal which is captured by your smart phone. But the signal is VERY SLOW . You can drive two feet before the image even moves.

I finally got my SummVee FPV up and running on 1.3ghz. Using 2 Cloverleaf antenna I can get about 4 blocks away (through houses and trees before I lose my video signal. I just purchased a pepperbox antenna which should give me greater video range.

My next issue is driving the truck with a Taranis and 433mhz EZUHF system is great for control range but driving a truck with sticks takes some getting used to. So I ran across this

Its a 3d printed tranmitter that can house the internals of a 12 channel airplane radio. I took 30+ hours to print all four parts, now I need to buy the Taranis QX7 radio ( $109) and give it a good paint job.
    That Transmitter is very neat indeed, any more pictures? Iím using a Taranis X9D and like you said the, twin stick takes a lot to get used to if all you know is pistol grip.

Iíve spent more time than I should watching YouTube vids of drone racers debating thumb vs pinch in efforts to adapt. I think like anything, practice practice practice. Or print up a snazzy pistol grip on steroids like you have!

Actually that one is not mine. Thats the original model from thingiverse.com

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2552696

Mine just finished printing and I must buy a Taranis q x7 to fit in it.

My original idea was to use my Spektrum pistol radio with a signal transformer. It actually worked (albeit with only 4 channels) but all the electronics added in a lot of static / glitches in the system and I couldn't stop the servos from twitching.

RC Qualifier
    I realized that might not have been yours seeings how thereís an X7 in the background and you mentioned needing to pick one up.

Iíve had my Taranis for about a month and really like it. I bound two 8XRs to it and will be using most if not all of the channels for my 4WS, snow plow, lights and FPV stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro