Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    27

    Me again! Thermal red flashing vxl3s

    After about 30/40 minutes or so my truck likes to go into thermal protection. Slow red flashing What am I doing wrong or do I need to beef something up?

    Current set up:

    Slash 4x4 TSM / OBA. (OBA has been emoved)
    3S Lipo Traxxas ID 5000mah 11.1v 25c
    Vxl3s with fan but couple of blades snapped off
    Motor is blue and what came in the truck
    All new bearings throughout
    New 30k in front diffs
    New 10k in rear diffs
    Proline badlands 2.2/3.0
    Hearing is stock gearing as far as I’m aware. It does about 42-45mph top speed.

    Sometimes it takes longer but if I’m giving it a few high speed lengths it tends to flash sooner. When I come to put the battery on charge they charge from 4. I think they’ve charged from 2 when the battery has lasted with out the flashing red esc. Any help / advice would be great, shame to put it away with charge left in the battery!

  2. #2
    RC Champion shack351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Kville
    Posts
    1,127
    I ultimately moved on from the Velineon system because of heat issues. With absolutely nothing "wrong" with the truck, I would go into thermal shutdown like you and I finally had enough. Drop in the 19T and you'll cut your drive time in half. Castle baby!

    -Shack

  3. #3
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    27
    Can you point me in the direction of this castle? Or is there only one type?

  4. #4
    RC Champion shack351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Kville
    Posts
    1,127
    I'd be happy to! A few questions to better understand your particular needs.

    1. Do you race competitively or just bash and have fun?
    2. What is your budget?
    3. Do you mind upgrading a few other parts? Maybe not at the same time as a motor swap but in the following months.

    -Shack

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    27
    1. No racing, Just bashing and fun with the kids
    2. I don’t mind spending if it will run well and last
    3. Don’t mind upgrading more stuff. Looking to buy mip x duty shafts as I have broke a few stock ones. Already have alloy castors, steering blocks and rear carriers, fitted big bore shocks.

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,205
    Shack loves castle but keep in mind there are other options available. Poseidon, Tekin, TP, leopard etc. I'm a Poseidon fan, but also run a Chinese GoolRC that has impressed me in my P4de.

  7. #7
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Shack loves castle but keep in mind there are other options available. Poseidon, Tekin, TP, leopard etc. I'm a Poseidon fan, but also run a Chinese GoolRC that has impressed me in my P4de.
    I’m a newb but I recognise the castle name. I’d be happy if the truck ran the same as it does now, but without the red light.

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinginter View Post
    Iím a newb but I recognise the castle name. Iíd be happy if the truck ran the same as it does now, but without the red light.
    Get a hobbywing SC8-WP. Around 55 bucks. 120 amp esc. Could the slow red blink be a low voltage situation instead of a thermal issue? I'd still swap the esc when time and finds allow. You can pay about 20 bucks more and get the HW 150 amp esc good for up to 6S. Then you can swap motors at will

  9. #9
    RC Champion Dcuda69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Get a hobbywing SC8-WP. Around 55 bucks. 120 amp esc. Could the slow red blink be a low voltage situation instead of a thermal issue? I'd still swap the esc when time and finds allow. You can pay about 20 bucks more and get the HW 150 amp esc good for up to 6S. Then you can swap motors at will
    Good info here^^ I run the WP SC8(for about $10 more you can get the program card with it, makes adjustments ultra simple) I run mine exclusively on 3s with an occasional 4s blast. I've tossed 3 different motors at it..2400kv,2700kv and currently a 2150 1/8th scale geared 20/50. It has seen water and snow. It has taken it all in stride. A great value at $60ish.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,205

    Me again! Thermal red flashing vxl3s

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Good info here^^ I run the WP SC8(for about $10 more you can get the program card with it, makes adjustments ultra simple) I run mine exclusively on 3s with an occasional 4s blast. I've tossed 3 different motors at it..2400kv,2700kv and currently a 2150 1/8th scale geared 20/50. It has seen water and snow. It has taken it all in stride. A great value at $60ish.
    Thanks man. I have the HW and love it. Yes for the price of lunch get the card. It's super easy. I have the MMX and love it as well. I'm not sure the Castle warrants more than twice the price but I do love all the settings and datalogging for speed running.

  11. #11
    RC Champion shack351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Kville
    Posts
    1,127
    Gripdog is right... I do love my Castle stuff but yes, there are alternatives. I have recently ordered a TP Power motor and I think it's gonna rock. I don't have the experience using any of the lower-cost motors so recommendations will be from other forum members. I'm not knocking those motors, AT ALL, but what I do have experience with is the sensored Castle 8th-scale line up so that is what I'll reference. I know I sound like a broken record to some but I love the scale-ability of the MMX/2200Kv combo like what I used in my Shack Attack speed rig and my main basher. The motor is capable of running 3S to 6S and will even handle 8S for speed runs if you ever want to get crazy. On 3S it will pop wheelies all day long and the motor might see 110į. I normally run 7000mAh 4S packs and get an easy 30+ minutes out of it. Temps are usually less than 130į after those hard-core bashing sessions. I have bashed the 2200 on 6S and it's really just too insane BUT it's nice to have the ability to do something else with your motor/rig if you ever want to. If you use this motor, you can have a gnarly basher or a triple-digit speed rig. Driving it on 3S will be like driving a Veyron to get groceries. The motor/esc will have a very easy life!

    If you plan on a few upgrades, like MIPs, you can have a super-reliable rig that will treat you right. Diffs, driveshaft, and a few other low-cost additions will make you... and your truck very happy!

    -Shack

  12. #12
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    Gripdog is right... I do love my Castle stuff but yes, there are alternatives. I have recently ordered a TP Power motor and I think it's gonna rock. I don't have the experience using any of the lower-cost motors so recommendations will be from other forum members. I'm not knocking those motors, AT ALL, but what I do have experience with is the sensored Castle 8th-scale line up so that is what I'll reference. I know I sound like a broken record to some but I love the scale-ability of the MMX/2200Kv combo like what I used in my Shack Attack speed rig and my main basher. The motor is capable of running 3S to 6S and will even handle 8S for speed runs if you ever want to get crazy. On 3S it will pop wheelies all day long and the motor might see 110į. I normally run 7000mAh 4S packs and get an easy 30+ minutes out of it. Temps are usually less than 130į after those hard-core bashing sessions. I have bashed the 2200 on 6S and it's really just too insane BUT it's nice to have the ability to do something else with your motor/rig if you ever want to. If you use this motor, you can have a gnarly basher or a triple-digit speed rig. Driving it on 3S will be like driving a Veyron to get groceries. The motor/esc will have a very easy life!

    If you plan on a few upgrades, like MIPs, you can have a super-reliable rig that will treat you right. Diffs, driveshaft, and a few other low-cost additions will make you... and your truck very happy!

    -Shack
    Plenty to sift through here! I’ll get googling. I don’t want the truck acting bonkers and flipping if I floor it, it will wheelie anyway. I just want same performance without the red light.

  13. #13
    RC Champion shack351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Kville
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinginter View Post
    Plenty to sift through here! I’ll get googling. I don’t want the truck acting bonkers and flipping if I floor it, it will wheelie anyway. I just want same performance without the red light.
    Nothing wrong with that! I would scrap anything that I mentioned in the above post. That suggestion was geared toward increased power, durability and perhaps driving fun. Someone here can surely suggest a solution that will be much cheaper, less powerful and will eliminate your thermal issues. Good luck!

    -Shack

  14. #14
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    27
    If I go with the hobbywing, will I be able to run 2 packs of Traxxas 11.1v 5000mah 25c 3S through it one after another? Or is that asking a lot of the stock motor?

    If I go with the Castle MMX / 2200, will the Traxxas ID batteries above be anygood? This combo is £285 over here so don’t want to be buying more batteries and a different charger too. I’m not really interested in doing any 6s stuff, or crazy high speed. What I’m really after is a good reliable truck that I can give a bit of abuse to that I don’t have to worry if it getting too hot etc

    Thanks for the advice

  15. #15
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinginter View Post
    If I go with the hobbywing, will I be able to run 2 packs of Traxxas 11.1v 5000mah 25c 3S through it one after another? Or is that asking a lot of the stock motor?

    If I go with the Castle MMX / 2200, will the Traxxas ID batteries above be anygood? This combo is £285 over here so donít want to be buying more batteries and a different charger too. Iím not really interested in doing any 6s stuff, or crazy high speed. What Iím really after is a good reliable truck that I can give a bit of abuse to that I donít have to worry if it getting too hot etc

    Thanks for the advice
    The stock motor will only deal with multiple 3S batteries if it's geared very conservatively. The 2200kv will run 3S batteries all day long, the 2650 will do the same.

  16. #16
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    The stock motor will only deal with multiple 3S batteries if it's geared very conservatively. The 2200kv will run 3S batteries all day long, the 2650 will do the same.
    Thanks again. Im leaning towards the 2200kv for the robustness and reliability. Itís also got options to open it up in the future should I want to make it a bit more lairy.

    Thanks for all the advice who chipped in :thumbup:

  17. #17
    RC Champion shack351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Kville
    Posts
    1,127
    My friend... if it's within your budget, you can't go wrong with the CC sensored 2200Kv/MMX setup. I'd be willing to bet my left one that you will have ear-to-ear smiles for a long time with that combo. Just start off with 3S. Coming from the Velineon system, you will notice an instant increase in performance. You can bash as long as your heart desires and the motor/esc will still have icicles on it compared to the stock system. After a while and you've developed a better grasp of your rig and driving skills, and a few upgrades, maybe you go to 4S.

    I will admit that when I first got my Slash, I was having a blast with the stock setup on 3S. Eventually though, I just wanted to rid myself of constant thermal shutdowns and push the proverbial envelope a little further. Thanks to the guys here on the forum, I was able to make an informed upgrade decision. Almost entirely from the advice that I got here, I bought the CC sensored 2200Kv & 2650Kv motors with the MMX. I have tried just about every conceivable gearing combo and applicable battery voltage with mine and my sons rigs and the 2200Kv is the boss... period... end of discussion. There were many times I swapped motors, with and without the ESC, to see if something I overlooked could be the reason for my 2200 rig consistently edging out the 2650. Nope, it didn't make any difference. I've even spoken to my Castle rep about it and although he agrees the 2200 is superior for raw performance, he was quick to point out that yes, they are similar motors, but you're almost comparing apples and oranges here. The 2650 is a ROAR approved motor designed to run on 2S/3S, when need be, and was never really intended to be direct competition to the 2200. The entire 1800, 2200, 2400 and 2650 sensored lineup are quality motors and any one of them would make you happy. The 2200, however, is the top dog for raw performance and it can handle some serious abuse. I'd like to see if any of the other three motors can manage doing speed runs on 8S without a meltdown. Very unlikely.

    Anyway, I hope that whatever you end up with makes you happy and does you right.

    -Shack

  18. #18
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    27
    How does this look as an option? It’s nearly half the price of the castle combo over here.

    http://www.hobbywing.com/mobile/good...er_attr=5456.0

    My stock gearing is 13/54 is that right? Would that need changing? I’m fairly sure I’ll be staying on 3S for now. I watched a 6s video and the wheels flew off the truck

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •