RC poster

Having a Blast, now need advice!

Short back story! I have been in RC my entire life. I have planes, helicopters, jets and now into full size drones. However my son has just now caught the bug in rc trucks. So with Christmas right around the corner what better way to bond with your son than to buy him a brand new Slash 2x4 with all the goodies. So after looking at all of his stuff to make sure everything was good an in working order, it hit me. I should get a truck so we could run and race together? Soooooooooo

That's right, Dad went and picked up a used Slash 4x4 that is technically brand new. I purchased from an old man that bought it a month ago , drove it once and said it was way to fast for him. Get this, he got it to chase the ducks away from his property. Anyway, I picked it up and brought it home.

I tore the new truck apart, A. to get really familiar with it. B. to clean it, dig in the axles and such. C. just because it is sooo much fun. I cannot remember just how long it has been for me in the four wheel arena.

Anyway to my problem. I have the stock brushless system with 3S lipo set up. I did throw in most all of the Platinum upgrades while I was at it. I have her all back together and she is spotless and ready to go.

WELL, so I thought so. I decided to just put around in the family room for a couple of minutes when once it happened I knew exactly what went wrong, I stripped the Spur gear clean. So there are only 2 options, option 1. Motor was not tight enough within mesh tolerance? Or the slippery clutch is too tight? I adjusted the motor using the paper method and I even took it down to my local Hobby shop and they checked my work and said good job. So it has to be the slipper clutch right? After taking it apart to inspect, clean and add the upgraded metal bushing kit with new bearing, I tightened the spring down all the way than backed it off a 1/4 turn as some others on the board has done. HOWEVER, right in my manual it says the minimum should be no less than a 1/2 turn back out. Any guidance before buying some more goodies and back up supplies at the shop?

RC Champion
    Paper method is right as long as you use the right thickness of paper stock. Tightening your spur sounds right. All this leads me to question if something is binding up the drive shafts. You said you tore it down correct? How far is down? All the way to differentials? Did everything go back together as they came apart?
    -Super hopped MERV
    -Lidz by Skrizz

You can lock up the slipper if you want. It's there to add some shock protection for the drivetrain and as a traction control device.
    You would definately know if you stripped the spur gear. Missing teeth or ground flat teeth where it came loose.
    If the truck is near new it's quite possible the slipper needs tightening. They wear in and need tightening after the first few runs.
    Good luck.

RC poster
    Good questions. I tore it completely down. Everything went back together real easy. However I am not using traxxas oil weight, I am using white lithium grease for marine application to repel water. But I have used this product before and in fact, it is much easier to turn the axles than some other heavy weight oils we use. The Spur gear is stripped clean, no chips or skips, clean cut shaving.

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

If you are near me, I will help you go through it
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Mesh set, spur gear mysteriously stripped.
    Sounds like possible slipper clutch bearing failure.
    The bearing in the motor mount that supports one end of the slipper or center diff

RC poster
    We will know more today when we tear her back down in the rear. Highly unlikely that a bearing went bad on a new rig. I cleaned all the bearings as well and lubed them all with WD40 too. This really has me scratching my head for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
    Highly unlikely that a bearing went bad on a new rig.
    Oh, you'd be surprised Also make sure you don't get anything wet (i.e WD-40) on the pads
    Member of the 100+ post club! Here to mess up!

RC poster
    Good call, I use brake cleaner for the clutch pad, just like on the big vehicles I service in my shop. However, these can be more fun to work on most times. Full size vehicles can be a real pain!

RC poster
    Thanks El Sob, however I am in Phoenix AZ and you are deep in California country.

RC poster
    Well I went to one of the local hobby stores, have to say not much help! However, they decided to scold me on having a Lipo 3S and said that was my problem! I told them the truck was designed for it and is in the manual as well. They told me otherwise. So I purchased 4 Spur gears just to keep a couple on hand and used one. Took it apart and the teeth actually are not that bad. So I took it out, readjusted the clutch, slapped in the new Spur gear, readjusted the motor once again. All is well and no issues now.

I did pick up front and rear sway bar kit and slapped that on and picked up an extra clutch kit for just in case.

I also picked up some shock oil. Snagged 30,35,37.5 and 40. Now the next time I buy I will pick up 4 more continuing on up the weight category.

So all in all in the past week I have spent $1200 between my sons Slash 2x4, 2S battery packs, Hitech X2 charger, Slash 4x4 Platinum, 3s Lipo and now after some upgrades and stocking up on some parts, tools and oils. I am now scared for what comes next. Spending lots of coin, but my son and I are going to have a blast!