RC poster

What are the three most common things you break on your Summit

I'd like to get an idea of what upgrades to get. I've just bought the Boom Racing steel heavy duty helical spiral differential ring and pinion gears after the rear stripped when I put a 12v Dewalt motor in. The only other thing that has needed replacing is the spur gear but I foresee many more upgrades in the future. The Leading Edge Machining stuff looks good, but is so expensive. It's either get a Slash 4x4 or spend the same money upgrading my Summit, so I'll try and get only the essentials for the Summit.

RC Enthusiast
    Id like to know to. i just got one used and it has a brushless set up and so far ive not broken anything but im ordering the LEM diff and tranny kit soon.

RC Racer
    Parts ive broken on brushless: bunch of spider gears (lem diff cups on the way), half shafts (thinking of getting lem shafts, not sure), 1 axle carrier (friend crashed in the back of me at 2km/h this morning in the snow...?), bumper mount (got RPM), Tie rod end and i think 1 ring gear. Id love to know the weakspots that people have found. Spider gears and driveshafts are the big one for me. I too am wondering if i should make my summit into a beast this christmas or get a new rc :-).
    Last edited by Demigod15; 11-19-2017 at 08:06 PM.

i've burnt out two micro servos and the gearbox ate all of the bearings. my esc also stopped working so for me that is:
    1) micro servo
    2) gearbox
    3) ESC
    Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, SCX10, Bearded Dragon

RC Enthusiast
    I've had one micro servo burn out, one ate it's gears which I replaced.
    Just done my third motor. Two burnt out and a brush snapped off the other motor on its first use.
    Had a totally destroyed front diff.
    Broken two drive shafts.
    One shocks started to leak.
    And a wish bone snapped (was the trees fault) .

Micro servo controlling. the 2 spd.
    Bearings from water abuse.
    Had a stick get stuck in the cooling vents on the Titan and took all the fan blades off. Motor still going strong though.
    The rest is wear and tear.

RC poster

Red face

I found the reason my diff gear stripped, the inner ball bearing that goes to the center drive shaft literally turned to dust. Apparently it's a very common problem, especially with brushless.

The bearing on the left is the outer one, you can see there's not much left of the inner bearing, all that's left of the balls is some silver dust inside the housing. The outer diff case is a little chewed up too.

I'd tried to find an aluminium outer diff housing with no luck. I think the only people the make it is Hot Racing, but that's out of stock.
    Last edited by lifeofbrian; 11-26-2017 at 06:36 PM.

RC poster
    1) 2 of the 2065 servos, Traxxas warrantied both 2) Replaced the drive axles, rocks jamming 3) Blue rubber dust cups shred easily. Other - Stock 2075 steering servos are lame, inadequate steering torque if you get bigger wheels & tires.

Curious, my 1/10 Summit (56076-4) came with ferrite beads on the 3 2065 leads, but Traxxas refuses to replace them, sent me the servos without the ferrite. For those of you who are not sure what a ferrite bead does - they are used for noise suppression below 300MHz, most frequently installed to allow the item to pass EMC Compliance testing (CE mark and FCC). Not sure why Traxxas customer service were such jerks about that.

I run stock drive train except Pro-Line drive axles. I have allot of gravel where I play and the stock drive shafts would get rocks jammed under them. This was caused by the addition of full under carriage armor by T-Bone Racing, so the new, smaller Pro-Line axles address that. I have also added Savox SV-1271SG steering servos using 7.0 volts from a Castle 20 amp Regulator\BEC (battery direct connection). Beefed the steering with aluminum horns, Hot Racing steering assembly RVO4806, and Traxxas aluminum turn buckles. 40 Series MudSlingers move effortlessly now. Added OuterWears Prefilter chassis shroud and OuterWear shock covers, GREAT addition! Also added Traxxas aluminum push rods, Rocker arms were upgraded and Rear shock springs were replaced with front springs, less rear end droop. If you run at night, the Traxxas roof rack light bar upgrade does OK. LED units provide much greater candle power. I have 7 Traxxas trucks and 3 from Axial, the Summit is my favorite!

RC Racer
    Biggest failures i had with mine were after a brushless setup. Diffs, servos and axels. Other than that i never broke anything while it was stock.
    If it still moves, it aint broke enough!

RC Qualifier
    For me the bumper mounts I bought rpm bumper mounts