RC poster

Stampede 4x4 vxl

I've been planning to get a castle creations 3800kv ESC and motor combo to replace my continuous ly faulty vxl system. But I can't quite figure out what pinion gear I should be putting on this setup. There's different styles of an 11t-15t pinion gear with a 5mm drive. Which style of gear should I be using. Could someone send me a link to something they have used in the past. Ive also seen talk about the pitch of the gear... 32p? I don't quite know what this means. I plan on keeping the 54t spur setup because I have like 5 extras laying around I picked up on a killer deal a while back. I believe I paid $3 for a pack of 10 on clearance some where😁

RC poster
    If I'm wrong please correct me but the rrp 32p(8mod) 14t pinion gear would be an option for me.
    Here's a link
    https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...BoCiJAQAvD_BwE

Skip the CC 3800kv setup, thats better suited for 2wd short coarse trucks, you'll want something in a lower KV to move the extra weight of the p4de.

The spur and pinion gears that traxxas uses are of the 32pitch(angle of the teeth) design, so they both need to be matched to mesh correctly, but when starting off, use the stock 11t pinion and work your way up because the motor temps pretty much dictate how high of a tooth count you can go.

Alternative ESC/MOTOR combo that will do you wonders...

ESC - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-E...-/271143892179

MOTOR(5mm shaft) - https://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-4Poles...6ZDM5Y61FR2S70
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

Quote Originally Posted by Bige4u View Post
    Skip the CC 3800kv setup, thats better suited for 2wd short coarse trucks, you'll want something in a lower KV to move the extra weight of the p4de.

The spur and pinion gears that traxxas uses are of the 32pitch(angle of the teeth) design, so they both need to be matched to mesh correctly, but when starting off, use the stock 11t pinion and work your way up because the motor temps pretty much dictate how high of a tooth count you can go.

Alternative ESC/MOTOR combo that will do you wonders...

ESC - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-E...-/271143892179

MOTOR(5mm shaft) - https://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-4Poles...6ZDM5Y61FR2S70
    From what I have read the .8 gears will work with the 32 pitch. Not much of a difference in the two.
    Choose Life !!!

The Castle 1410 3800kv motor is a good motor if you plan to run on 2S. It will be better than the VXL motor in every way. If you want to run 3S more than every once in a while then it would be better to get a lower KV, bigger motor, like the Castle 1415 2400kv motor for example.

I use the Castle 1410 3800kv motor in one of my Stampede 4x4 trucks along with a Sidewinder Sv3 esc. I actually geared it down to 9/54 because that is the truck friends/relatives use when they don't have their own truck, so I wanted to slow it down, and I also wanted to make running 3S more viable. 9/54 is actually surprisingly fast with that motor even on 2S.

I think you should start with the stock pinion (11t) and go from there. Again, the castle 1410 3800kv motor is already better than the VXL motor in every way. Don't create a bad experience for yourself with the new system by starting out with too large of a pinion.
    Last edited by GotNoRice; 11-17-2017 at 07:38 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    From what I have read the .8 gears will work with the 32 pitch. Not much of a difference in the two.
    They're the same

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    They're the same
    E Gads. Could have sworn I read somewhere there was such a small amount of variation that the 2 would work together. Thank you for setting me straight Grip....
    Choose Life !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    E Gads. Could have sworn I read somewhere there was such a small amount of variation that the 2 would work together. Thank you for setting me straight Grip....
    Technically you're right

RC poster
    Well I don't want to completely overpower the truck and it become so much of a torque monster that I can't control it from a stop. Sometimes punching in a dirt driveway is fun.
    From what I've read the lower kv have a higher low end punch. The stock vxl setup had quite a bit of punch in just a 7 cell nimh battery. I couldn't keep the thing from flipping over if I accidentally gave it too much throttle

RC poster
    Yes. I do plan on using just 2s. I don't really have any need to push this setup to it's limits and my other hpi Sprint 2 is only capable of a 2s. The idea was to have either one use the same set of batteries.

RC poster
    And noted. I will try a smaller pinion like you suggested.

Now my actually question though... Since the castle creations is a 5mm shaft, what is my best option as far as the make and style of the pinion gear. I know the teeth need to mesh properly but which style is going to fit better inside the housing

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dfrank1039 View Post
    And noted. I will try a smaller pinion like you suggested.

Now my actually question though... Since the castle creations is a 5mm shaft, what is my best option as far as the make and style of the pinion gear. I know the teeth need to mesh properly but which style is going to fit better inside the housing
    You can get that setup with. 3mm shaft also the stock sct ESC is not really recommend on 3s , does well on 2s ...I actually run a 4300kv with a hobbywing SC8 ESC on 3s and it does amazing with low temperature on both , the 3800kv works quite well on 3s if u run a better ESC the stock Castle sct ESC will burn out fast .
    As gears I use 11/54 and it's fast .

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk