RC Racer

Anyone else notice this?

My steering servo on the trx4 stops or reaches full throw before the steering wheel on the transmitter hits it's stop, in both directions.

At first I thought I just needed to turn down the steering % or turn down the travel adjust using the Bluetooth app but I noticed the servo was turned all the way and not binding the steering on a stop.

I noticed this before when I bought a new receiver with the TSM after using an older Traxxas Tqi receiver without it. It seems to me like the TSM receiver is causing this for some reason. It not a big deal on a rock crawler but I like to be able to use the full steering throw on the wheel and not have waisted resolution. I bet its at least 10-20deg of rotation waisted on the ends of the steering on the transmitter.

Any thoughts?

RC Competitor
    the steering end points are off, you'll need to set them. if you have the bluetooth module installed it's very fast and simple to do, if not then it can be set from the transmitter.

Pages 34 & 35 will show you how to set the steering endpoints.

TRX-4 Scale and Trail Crawler (82056-4) Manual

RC Racer
    Will it hurt anything to just leave it?

Mine is probably like yours Toadster25. I haven't had any problems so far.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It's a good idea to set endpoints, if you're trying to steer against the end of the suspension's ability you can burn out the servo.

RC Racer
    I tried to adjust the end points. The servo is not binding, it just stops moving before the steering wheel on the controller. I really think it has something to do the TSM receiver because I noticed this exact same thing when I installed a TQI receiver with TSM in my team associated B6D that I was racing. They don't make the non TSM receiver anymore so I bought that one and figured I'd just turn off the TSM but it messed with the servo travel. Try turning your TRX-4 steering slowly and watch the servo will stop before the steering wheel hits it stop and yes it looks like the servo is binding but it is not, the servo has reached the end of its travel.
    Its not a big deal on the TRX-4 and I'm not really complaining I'm just wondering if I'm the only person that has noticed this and is there something I can adjust to fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadster25 View Post
    My steering servo on the trx4 stops or reaches full throw before the steering wheel on the transmitter hits it's stop, in both directions.

It not a big deal on a rock crawler but I like to be able to use the full steering throw on the wheel and not have waisted resolution. I bet its at least 10-20deg of rotation waisted on the ends of the steering on the transmitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadster25 View Post
    Try turning your TRX-4 steering slowly and watch the servo will stop before the steering wheel hits it stop and yes it looks like the servo is binding but it is not, the servo has reached the end of its travel. ...and is there something I can adjust to fix it?
    I have to agree with the other guys.. from what you are describing, the end points do need to be adjusted.

The first time I powered up my TRX-4, I noticed that my servo would strain to push past the stops at the steering knuckles, causing the linkages/knuckles to flex just a bit under the pressure (servo whine was noticeable).

I setup my wireless module, and ended up dialing back the end points to around 87% or so. This allows the transmitter wheel to turn full lock to lock, without causing the servo to strain/flex the steering linkages/knuckles.

I have full left right steering control, while hopefully prolonging the life of the servo..