RC poster

New Aton owner... anything i should know?

super excited for my aton to arrive. just wanted to know if theres anything i should do before getting that puppy up and running... thanks guys

Take it easy in film mode first.
    Make sure the firmware is up to date.
    Make sure props are nice and tight.
    Make sure TX batteries are good.
    Have fun!!!

RC poster
    thanks cant wait
    Last edited by Double G; 03-27-2018 at 05:48 PM.

RC poster
    Trust your instincts, if the field looks too small or too many trees etc. then your probably right, this thing covers air space pretty
    quickly!
    Recent new flyer myself and I was amazed at this machine and it’s power although film mode is pretty tame and perfect for
    Begginer.
    Don’t rush the learning process if you’ve never flown , let practice and cofindence develop as you learn with it , before long you’ll move up to sport mode . Don’t rush yourself just enjoy!

RC Racer
    Took me a year to be confident enough to fly it in pro mode.... still hit the ground pretty badly at least once everytime I go out. This thing is tough. Iím amazed of some of the crashes it survived without even breaking a prop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thanks for the info guys!!! Just one last question regarding the Lipos: is there anything that needs to be done with brand new ones? or are they fully charged ready to plug in out of the box? Just wanna take the proper care of them.

thanks again guys!!! happy flying!!

RC poster
    lipos are typically shipped much like cell phone batteries with a partial charge on them
    (about 30- 50% ) and they will need to be fully charged prior to use. That includes new
    Ones purchased individually as well as the one that came with your Aton. I just added
    the 4000mah battery to my 2/5000’s. Next on my list is the #2972 charger.

RC poster
    ok i just charged the 5000 mah lipo i purchased bundled with the ez-peak dual charger and everything seemed fine. Charged to full in bout 90 minutes. My aton should be arriving in the mail in about 3-4 days im thinking depending on whether FedEx ships on turkey day.... so is it ok to leave the battery sitting or should i discharge it if its gonna sit for a week maybe? and lastly, what do i do with a discharged battery that i wanna reuse again? charge it like normal?

thanks again boys n girls!!!

RC Qualifier
    It's best for a lipo to be at 3.8volts per cell (storage ) until ready to use ... then charge it before using
    Shortens battery life to sit at full charge

RC poster
    Well in anticipation of the arrival of my new aton ive charged and discharged the battery twice now so i guess i inadvertently did sort of a break-in LOL. I initially thought the aton was coming so i charged it, then realized it wasnt good to let the lipo sit for 48 hours fully charged so i discharged it in "store" mode on my ez-peak dual charger. Then this morning i wake up and charge it again bc i thought the aton was coming again but it seems Fedex handles the initial care of the pkg with USPS completing final delivery, which means tmrw or sat delivery, which in turn made me put it in "store" mode again LOL

i know its a lot of back and forth but i just wanna be careful with the lipos from what ive been reading theyre much more volatile and require much more attention than your standard Nimh...sorry for the long-winded post lol
    Last edited by Coons81; 11-23-2017 at 10:07 PM. Reason: additional comments

RC Qualifier
    I always cycle new batteries a couple of times before flying for the first time. some say it helps, others disagree, but generally... most agree that doing this helps break them in before flying.

I doubt you will be storing batteries for extended periods of time, but if you do need to... check them on a regular basis and cycle them periodically to keep them in good working order.
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC poster
    I usually charge my batteries when I get back from flying each day so they are ready to go. ( make sure they’re cool and not warm to the touch before charge) The longest they have sat fully charged for flight is 1 week , right or wrong I did read that sitting full charged for a few days doesn’t hurt them just not much longer than 7 days. “I’m not saying to do it this way” but I just like to have mine ready to go. I have about 2 dozen flights on my LiPos and I still average 17-20 min flight times in sport mode.

RC poster
    Expert mode is just that, a mode for experts. The biggest difference is the absence of auto leveling, so wherever you flick the stick, that's where the Aton's gonna go until you flick it somewhere else. I put mine in the ground hard trying to fly export mode too early, so I got the privilege of ordering a new body, arms, props, and putting it all back together again.

That said, on my last outing I was going pretty well in sport mode, so I tried expert again and I was able to pull off a flip! Best feeling of accomplishment. You'll know when you're getting close to expert mode. It's like when you start balancing on two wheels even when your training wheels are still attached.

RC Qualifier
    Also remember that the Aton has one feature that most other quads do not offer... Air brakes. When you are ready to make the move in to expert, keep in mind that the right shoulder button is your bail out. As long as you have sufficient altitude, pressing and holding that button will bring it to an upright dead stop giving you time to catch your breath and regain control, use RTH, or change your flight mode. Kudo's to Traxxas for that one... A very handy feature to have.
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerrw View Post
    Also remember that the Aton has one feature that most other quads do not offer... Air brakes. When you are ready to make the move in to expert, keep in mind that the right shoulder button is your bail out. As long as you have sufficient altitude, pressing and holding that button will bring it to an upright dead stop giving you time to catch your breath and regain control, use RTH, or change your flight mode. Kudo's to Traxxas for that one... A very handy feature to have.
    saved my Aton a bunch of times with it. Yesterday it belly splashed pretty hard into the ground because I didnít have enough altitude when I did a flip. It tumbled towards the ground, air brakes leveled it pretty fast but it still kinda hit and bounced off the dirt. I expected the worst when I landed it, but only one of the props got bent. As I stated before, the Aton is a tough drone, and perfect for beginners and experts alike. I still have a spare frame I bought when I got the Aton, but I donít think Iíll need it anytime soon as this thing is really hard to break....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    In all honesty I love my drone, I started with something like the alias and bought this after I felt comfortable (I did my research to, im a fairly skilled pilot so I figured this drone was made for what I want. I truely believe Traxxas needs to work on the software of this unit. I feel like im going to have a small heart attake everytime I launch and the wort part is it usually attracts a croud of inocent people. If flown this quad 10 time, 5 of which where disasterous fly aways. IUm talking one of the times it just took off and went maybe 400 ft in the sky, as im sitting there pondering what to do it goes on a 70 mph dive directly into private property. Im almost ready to put this one on the shelf for good and move on. But i hope your having better luck on ur end brother!

RC poster
    ive been using this drone.. had a Mavic Air drone but that got kinda boring.. i kinda miss the FPV..or feed from the camera.. but.. i never really flew it out of line of sight anyway.. this Aton is alot of fun..