RC poster

Question Rustler VXL upgrade to Lipo???

Hi guys!

I am running a Rustler VXL on a standard stock setup with a Traxxas 7-cell NiMH battery. For me this setup is already pretty fast and it runs with no heat problems.

I don't have much knowledge about lipo batteries, but what would be a good lipo upgrade? or should i stay on NiMH?

I read on serveral blog about staying on 2S lipo's instead of going to 3S lipo's.

What would be a good battery upgrade for me without having heat problems with the VXL setup?

All help is welcome

There are loads of good batteries
    I have heard that smc, spc and gens ace are pretty good battery brands
    Make sure you dont buy a cheap charger!!!! i have heard hyperion have pretty good chargers

I am currently switching to lipos with my rusty right now, i am going for a hitec x2 and smc lipos. That is what i have gathered from my research to be best bang for buck.

You should definatly switch to lipos, they are lighter and much much much more powerfull. There is a really nice "punch" with them compared to nimh batteries. The only downside to them that i know of, is that you have to be pretty carefull with them when charging and ect

Have fun!! dont take my word on all this stuff, i only got into lipos recently, see what some of the more experienced guys say
    Last edited by Amistry20; 11-22-2017 at 06:07 AM.
    I ask way to many questions

RC Qualifier
    I use smc lipos. They are really good lipos and they are fairly cheap. I use 2s and 3s. 3s is fun but the motor does get hot. The hitec x1 **** charger is what I use. I havenít had a problem with it and it is only $25. So for the smc 2s lipo and x1 **** charger, you could be in a decent lipo setup for $50- $60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you're happy with the current speed stay on 2S. I'd pay a bit more for a charger(50-75), you'll get many more options.

I also like smc lipo batteries, I would also start off with 2s lipo you'd be surprised how fast it is compared to your nimh battery. Ask for a charger I also have a hitec X2 but I'm also looking for a hitec X4 since I'm going to be buying more SMC Lipo batteries. Another thing about lipo is safety read up on lipo safety and how to charge them and properly store them

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Good work isn't cheap, cheap work isn't good

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    If you're happy with the current speed stay on 2S. I'd pay a bit more for a charger(50-75), you'll get many more options.
    True but if all you need is to just charge a battery, then why pay more. Hitec is a great brand and this little charger charges my 2s, 3s and Nimh packs just fine.

I agree with what everyone says. I have all Traxxas batteries now, but will be switching to SMC when the need arises.

I couldn't believe the difference, going from nimh to lipo./ Even with the 2s you will still need to keep an eye on your temps. A good full run on one battery will cause your motor to go over the threshold of 160 degrees. If you don't already have these, I would invest in a temp gun, Also a fan for the ESC , fan and heat sink for the motor. Better safe than sorry.

Do you have the TSM? Happy RCing!
    Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    Thanks for all the help!

So a 2s SMC lipo will be a good upgrade for me but what MAH rate and C ratings would be a good idea for the Rustler?

@lektro: yes the Rustler has some TSM. Would that be influenced by the use of lipo? And i already installed a Traxxas Velineon VXL-3s ESC Cooling Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Fabbe View Post
    Thanks for all the help!

So a 2s SMC lipo will be a good upgrade for me but what MAH rate and C ratings would be a good idea for the Rustler?

@lektro: yes the Rustler has some TSM. Would that be influenced by the use of lipo? And i already installed a Traxxas Velineon VXL-3s ESC Cooling Fan
    My C rating on the Traxxas are 25. I would say 30 . I am not all that keen on the c rating but think it has to do with amp output from the battery.

As for MAH. I started with 5800. which gave me about 40 minute run times. the higher the Mah the longer your run time will be. The higher you go the bigger the battery gets. Make sure it will fit. You might need to do some mods on your tray. Of course the harder you run, the quicker the battery drains.

I was just curious about the TSM. I had that in my Stampede but changed to different motor, ESC, receiver and transmitter. Will be a good back up although i don't think I will ever need it. Personally I think the TSM is a gyro they put in the receiver.

There are some great threads in this forum that explain batteries and the ratings. Check um out!
    There are so many people that stick with nimh batteries due to the fact that they hear stories of lipo's catching fire. All you have to do is follow all instructions and precautions to the dots and you will never have a problem.
    Last edited by lektro; 11-22-2017 at 09:52 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    The local shop here in Belgium is selling these: https://www.mcmracing.com/nl/home/10...2s-07403052001 looks like they made their own brand in lipo ???

How about the traxxas lipo batteries with those ID system? how far are they good and is that ID system reliable?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Fabbe View Post
    The local shop here in Belgium is selling these: https://www.mcmracing.com/nl/home/10...2s-07403052001 looks like they made their own brand in lipo ???

How about the traxxas lipo batteries with those ID system? how far are they good and is that ID system reliable?
    That is what I have. the Dual Ezpeak ID charger. I have all Traxxas 25C ID Batteries... 3- 7.4v 2s 5800mah, 1- 7.4v 2s 7600mah , 2- 3s 11.1v 8400mah and 1- 3s 11.1V 6400mah, . Prices are higher but i see them as reliable. All you have to do is plug them in and push the start button. Most batteries charge within 30 minutes or so. The charger has balance ports on the front for when you charge non- Traxxas batteries with the balance leads. It will also charge nimh. I will be moving to SMC as these lose their spunk.

I have never seen the brand MCM But who is is to say it is good or bad. Looks like a Belgium made battery. I would see if i could find some reviews on that particular brand.

I just did a quick look online at MCMracing. Most all vids and reviews are not in my native tongue, but seem to be reputable company. Their batteries are more than likely well made. Sure can't hurt, to give one a try.
    If you look at your battery tray it has the cutout for battery leads coming from the middle of the battery, as traxxas batteries do. On most non traxxas batteries, the leads come out on the left or right. This will cause for a small modification in your tray.
    Last edited by lektro; 11-22-2017 at 11:24 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by josh62685 View Post
    True but if all you need is to just charge a battery, then why pay more. Hitec is a great brand and this little charger charges my 2s, 3s and Nimh packs just fine.

Charge, storage, discharge, voltage read outs, quicker charging, to name a few. You get what you pay for. Don't get defensive. It's just my opinion.

Charge, storage, discharge, voltage read outs, quicker charging, to name a few. You get what you pay for. Don't get defensive. It's just my opinion.

My defensiveness has always been null! I would never get that way, with you anyhow. I do see your point but do not see where the readout is! Happy Turkey Day!

Oh you are talking about the red lights... But the ID charger is like a Christmas tree! blue, red and green lights
    Last edited by lektro; 11-22-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

I like my x2 because I'm able to charge up to 10 amps seeing how I have a 7200 mAh lipo. Charging at 4 amps would take forever for me. My 2 cent

Quote Originally Posted by josh62685 View Post
    I use smc lipos. They are really good lipos and they are fairly cheap. I use 2s and 3s. 3s is fun but the motor does get hot. The hitec x1 **** charger is what I use. I haven’t had a problem with it and it is only $25. So for the smc 2s lipo and x1 **** charger, you could be in a decent lipo setup for $50- $60

Wrong one Grip. I was thinking of this one for some reason.

Am in no way bucking this Josh
    Last edited by lektro; 11-22-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Myrustlervxl View Post
    I like my x2 because I'm able to charge up to 10 amps seeing how I have a 7200 mAh lipo. Charging at 4 amps would take forever for me. My 2 cent

Myrustlervxl! Do you charge your 7600 mah battery at 7 amps and how long does it take, if so? I would think continuously charging at that rate would shorten the life of the battery. Just curious....
    Choose Life !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    My defensiveness has always been null! I would never get that way, with you anyhow. I do see your point but do not see where the readout is! Happy Turkey Day!

Oh you are talking about the red lights... But the ID charger is like a Christmas tree! blue, red and green lights
    I wasn't referring to
    You

Myrustlervxl! Do you charge your 7600 mah battery at 7 amps and how long does it take, if so? I would think continuously charging at that rate would shorten the life of the battery. Just curious....
    I have always charge at 1C it takes about 45 minutes to an hour at 100w

Aw Man! I thought we were going to have a knock'em, sock'em drag out fight here........... Just teasin!
    Choose Life !!!

I have always charge at 1C it takes about 45 minutes to an hour at 100w

Got you! I thought you were saying you charge at the higher amps. I charge at 1 amp also. I think most people do unless you are doing some serious racing..... Happy rcing sir!
    Choose Life !!!

Got you! I thought you were saying you charge at the higher amps. I charge at 1 amp also. I think most people do unless you are doing some serious racing..... Happy rcing sir!
    Oh yeah I wouldn't go any higher unless it was safe to. the only reason I mention that was because I like the ability to have 10 amps versus some Chargers I'd only put out 5 maybe 6 amps. But I imagine charging at a lower rate would expand the life of a lipo

Yes, you definitely want a charger that can charge (in amps) at least as high as the capacity of your battery. So for a 5000mAh battery, you'd want a charger that can charge at least 5 amps.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos