RC poster

Why wonít my ez-peak plus charger not charge my lipo battery

So I plug my traxxas 25c 7.4v lipo 2s 7600mah with auto battery identification to my ez peak plus charger like normal and i put it to charge and press start/stop button and starts charging and after 5 seconds it stops charging and it 4a starts blinking . Is there anyway to fix this?

RC Enthusiast
    You probably over discharged the battery. The charger detects low voltage and stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Choose Life !!!

Quote Originally Posted by SlashedSlash View Post
    So I plug my traxxas 25c 7.4v lipo 2s 7600mah with auto battery identification to my ez peak plus charger like normal and i put it to charge and press start/stop button and starts charging and after 5 seconds it stops charging and it 4a starts blinking . Is there anyway to fix this?
    Is it an ID battery? oops nevermind.... just read it is!
    Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    So what Can I do to the battery do I need to buy another or is there a fix?

So what Can I do to the battery do I need to buy another or is there a fix?
    If you can find a charger other than traxxas you may be able to get it up to a charging level them try the traxxas. Just a guess. Can't say that will work. Do you have a voltage meter to check the battery?
    Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    Well I have a other charger it’s a dual venom charger and it has connectors for traxxas battery but I never used it because I don’t know what amps and volts to put it on?

RC poster
    Dual power venom AC 100V-240V DC 11.0v-18.0v

RC poster
    I'm having this same issue, EZ-peak plus charging for a couple seconds and then the solid red 4a light but I don't believe it should be overdischarged. I purchased 2 5000mAh 3s ID batteries that had to be shipped during a cold period of the year, so that was my first thought, however I have a VXL-3s ESC, which as I'm sure most of you know, has a low voltage detector, and after the batteries wouldn't charge I hooked them up to it and got a decent amount of run time before the low voltage alert came up. It charges my 2s just fine, and I worked through the troubleshooting guide that was posted above, which says it is indicating that the battery type does not match the charger configuration. Does it have something to do with the fact that the 3s has balancing wires attached to both the red and black leads as opposed to just the black one like my 2s?

Well I have a other charger itís a dual venom charger and it has connectors for traxxas battery but I never used it because I donít know what amps and volts to put it on?
    If it is a 2s 7600mah battery charge at 1c ( 7.6 amps ). Make sure you're balance charging and the charger will automatically detect it is a 2s battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Trentbaby65 View Post
    If it is a 2s 7600mah battery charge at 1c ( 7.6 amps ). Make sure you're balance charging and the charger will automatically detect it is a 2s battery.
    Yeah you sure don't want to charge a ID battery without a balance lead. You can purchse adapters that will allow you to charge on a different charger. You just need a balance port for the lead that comes off the adapter.
    https://www.amazon.com/HobbyStar-Tra...+hitec+charger

You might need a different end for charger side. This is just an example.. I use one for my 4 s id batteries because they wont fit my ID charger.
    Last edited by lektro; 01-06-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

If you have a lipo that goes below the minimum voltage and the charger will not charge it. If the battery is still good. there is a way to bring it back.
    Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    I discharged my batteries to the low voltage cutoff a couple days ago and my ex peak plus wont charge them, my only other option is going to be to plug the into my 350mA charger with no balance feature, maybe 3-5 hours? does this sound like a bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac006 View Post
    I discharged my batteries to the low voltage cutoff a couple days ago and my ex peak plus wont charge them, my only other option is going to be to plug the into my 350mA charger with no balance feature, maybe 3-5 hours? does this sound like a bad idea?
    if they are at low voltage. The best way is to charge them on nicad at 0.1 amp till they read about 9.6 to 10 volts.considering if the are 3 s. Once that is done check all cells and if they are about the same you should be able to balance charge them on lipo from there.
    Last edited by lektro; 01-06-2018 at 04:07 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    all I have is the cheap wall charger that is 350mA and not adjustable and the easy peak, which doesn't want to recognize my batteries and only adjusts in full amps. I just don't want them to discharge too low from sitting too long til I can figure out how to charge them. And how would I check the individual cells without taking the battery apart? is it possible to do that? Maybe one of the cells is over discharged?

EDIT: I just tried my NiMH battery and it's doing the same thing, maybe it's the charger? but it charged my 2s just fine
    Last edited by Isaac006; 01-06-2018 at 08:15 PM.

when you start using the lipo batteries. Its always a good idea to get a decent charger to go with them. Need a charger that can tell you your individual cell chemistry and readings as they are charging. A must especially when going lipo. Not to keen on wall chargers....sounds like its time for a decent charger to me.
    Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    That's why I asked for the EZ Peak plus for my birthday, didn't know it was a piece of junk, I figured traxxas would make a good charger. I'm not sure if it's too late to return it or not. The wall charger was primarily for trying to bring back old NiMH batteries. I never intended to use it regularly. Can I charge the traxxas ID batteries with a charger that doesn't have ID technology though? I may need a little time, how long can you safely store a lipo after hitting the low voltage cutoff without being able to store charge it. I know an immediate store charge is ideal, but i'm not sure what I should do in the meantime to avoid ruining my batteries, as that is not an option right now.

EDIT:I just went and bought a multimeter, both 3s batteries are reading within half a volt of 11, so i'm not as worried about over discharge as I was. I also tested a brand new 9 volt battery and it tested 9.5, so I'm confident that the reading is at least close enough for this application. Is it a reasonable conclusion to come to that the power the aftermarket fan I have on my esc draws makes the low voltage detector shut it off sooner? the fan plugs into the ESC, so maybe not, but the voltage seems a little high. It could also be that I was using it in the garage and now it's in the house and therefore significantly warmer
    Last edited by Isaac006; 01-06-2018 at 10:26 PM.

I had this same problem with a 2200 7.4v traxxas LiPo and the same EZ Peak plus charger. I was driving my MERV around and I ran into a curb (i hate curbs.. especially with small vehicles). It wouldn't move after that, so I imagine something broke. No mechanical components broke, surprisingly (I hit it at like.. 40mph or so.. oopsy) but my negative battery cable and the iD cable broke off of the connector where it connects to the ESC! The guy at my local hobby shop re-soldered the cables back on, and we tested to see if it charged on an EZ-Peak Dual. It worked! I thought the problem was fixed.. but then...

It wouldn't charge on my EZ-Peak Plus at home... the 4th light started blinking and I had no idea what to do. I experimented with jiggling the wires around, plugging it in and unplugging it over and over again.. but then I think I knew how to fix it. Enter advanced mode by holding the iD button and the charge rate selector on the charger, enter your settings, and charge! It worked fine after that, but it would occasionally fail on me sometimes. Try that and see if it works.
    MERV, Rustler VXL, X-Maxx
    @kbedrich - Thingiverse

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac006 View Post
    That's why I asked for the EZ Peak plus for my birthday, didn't know it was a piece of junk, I figured traxxas would make a good charger. I'm not sure if it's too late to return it or not. The wall charger was primarily for trying to bring back old NiMH batteries. I never intended to use it regularly. Can I charge the traxxas ID batteries with a charger that doesn't have ID technology though? I may need a little time, how long can you safely store a lipo after hitting the low voltage cutoff without being able to store charge it. I know an immediate store charge is ideal, but i'm not sure what I should do in the meantime to avoid ruining my batteries, as that is not an option right now.

EDIT:I just went and bought a multimeter, both 3s batteries are reading within half a volt of 11, so i'm not as worried about over discharge as I was. I also tested a brand new 9 volt battery and it tested 9.5, so I'm confident that the reading is at least close enough for this application. Is it a reasonable conclusion to come to that the power the aftermarket fan I have on my esc draws makes the low voltage detector shut it off sooner? the fan plugs into the ESC, so maybe not, but the voltage seems a little high. It could also be that I was using it in the garage and now it's in the house and therefore significantly warmer

well... LVD usually turns on when the battery is at 3.3v/cell on the stock traxxas ESC's. A battery can only last a day at that voltage before deteriorating. I storage charge my LiPos on a traxxas LiPo charger after they cool down after running. You cannot charge a traxxas LiPo (or the new ones, at least) on a non-iD charger, especially not the wall NiMh trickle chargers. One of my LiPos almost exploded into flames because of that... I would buy a EZ-Peak live charger. It's really worth it, it's not junk, and it has bluetooth, and there's an alarm (it's not obnoxious) when the battery is done charging. It's worked really well for me.
    @kbedrich - Thingiverse

Quote Originally Posted by MindBlown View Post
    well... LVD usually turns on when the battery is at 3.3v/cell on the stock traxxas ESC's. A battery can only last a day at that voltage before deteriorating. I storage charge my LiPos on a traxxas LiPo charger after they cool down after running. You cannot charge a traxxas LiPo (or the new ones, at least) on a non-iD charger, especially not the wall NiMh trickle chargers. One of my LiPos almost exploded into flames because of that... I would buy a EZ-Peak live charger. It's really worth it, it's not junk, and it has bluetooth, and there's an alarm (it's not obnoxious) when the battery is done charging. It's worked really well for me.
    I am not questioning you on this but are sure you can't purchase adapters to allow you to charge an ID battery on a non ID charger? I mean a good charger. not a plug and play charger... Just curious now. Not questioning your knowledge.
    Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MindBlown View Post
    Thank you for the advice, that's what I was thinking of doing, Trying to see if I can get a refund out of the seller on the EZ peak Plus first though. I guess I should just order a EZ Peak Live though. The plus won't even go into advanced mode with an ID battery plugged in, and does the same thing it's been doing in advanced mode when I plug in the non ID NiMH batteries I have.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you can return your charger, do it. If you can afford to buy more batteries thy aren't Traxxas, do it. You'll be glad, and you won't be tied to one brand of battery and charger. It's just a market share tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    I am not questioning you on this but are sure you can't purchase adapters to allow you to charge an ID battery on a non ID charger? I mean a good charger. not a plug and play charger... Just curious now. Not questioning your knowledge.
    Traxxas used to sell them, actually, but they stopped for some reason. I got one just in time before they stopped making them. I've seen other aftermarket traxxas balance connector adapters, but I don't know if they work.
    @kbedrich - Thingiverse

https://www.rcsuperstore.com/Traxxas...-p/tra2938.htm

I don't see why this would not work. I have 2 for 2- 4 s 7600s i bought that came from a completer pack for the e-max Would you agree? by the way i use a hi tec charger. I am not 100% positive but see no reason why they wouldn't. I could be wrong.

[/URL]

This one I modified for 2 4s batteries that my ID dual 2 to 3 s wont charge
    Last edited by lektro; 01-07-2018 at 07:16 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Competitor
    ...and starts charging and after 5 seconds it stops charging and it 4a starts blinking . Is there anyway to fix this?
    Yes! Plug the battery pack into the charger completely! Once I began plugging them in completely the batteries started charging without the annoying blinking red error lights!

Some history: I hate disconnecting these batteries because Traxxas's "High Current Connectors" take so much strength. It's a pain because once they're plugged in they are difficult to pull apart. SO, knowing this fact, my tendency was to always plug them in just enough to get them connected, thus making it easier to disconnect. However, one day I got kinda ticked off and decided "screw it" I'm gonna jam these connectors together as far as they'll go. To my surprise the battery charged with no problem! I've been doing it like this ever since with no problems!
    I am pit crew for my son's 1/16 E-Revo VXL

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by sizzler View Post
    yes! Plug the battery pack into the charger completely! Once i began plugging them in completely the batteries started charging without the annoying blinking red error lights!

Some history: I hate disconnecting these batteries because traxxas's "high current connectors" take so much strength. It's a pain because once they're plugged in they are difficult to pull apart. So, knowing this fact, my tendency was to always plug them in just enough to get them connected, thus making it easier to disconnect. However, one day i got kinda ticked off and decided "screw it" i'm gonna jam these connectors together as far as they'll go. To my surprise the battery charged with no problem! I've been doing it like this ever since with no problems!
    this was helpful tell this to customer service they dont know how to troubleshoot +make a youtube video!!

Quote Originally Posted by King_Fresh007 View Post
    this was helpful tell this to customer service they dont know how to troubleshoot +make a youtube video!!
    Make a video on how to connect the Traxxas connectors?? To any rational person completely connecting the plugs together is normal. CS can troubleshoot based upon the information given over the phone. “My car isn’t running right.” will not solve the problem. Vague descriptions will get vague answers.
    The Super Derecho

I would be skeered to charge a lipo battery that was only partially connected. Sounds like someone is asking for problems doing so. Common sense would tell me, to make sure the connectors are completely plugged in before charging.

King Fresh! Let me know when you make that you tube video. I would like to see it.
    Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    Wow! I can’t believe that worked, you are a lifesaver!

RC Enthusiast
    **Using this practice on lipo batteries is dangerous. Therefore, the post has been removed.*
    Last edited by Double G; 04-18-2019 at 12:12 PM.

RC poster
    This post is so helpful and informative for me.

RC Enthusiast
    I use an EV PEAK CQ3 and Traxxas id adapter cable. Works just fine with my 4 3s 5000mAh batteries but not my 2 2s 7600mAh batteries.