Best Charger? charging lipos

I have recently installed by vxl-3s in my rustler and i have been using nimh on it so far but i am really not impressed with the speed. I had borrowed my mates lipo for a day and i was insanely impressed with the performance.

I have spent hours searching the forums for the best charger but eveyone has there own opinion. Some people say that the cheap brands are great while some people say that you should stick with main brands. I am going to stay with the main brands but i do not know what the best brand are. From my research brands like, hitec, hyperieon, venom, dynamite, ev-peak are all good charger brands.

I have had my eyes set on the hitec x2 and the Venom Pro Duo. Are these good?

I am yet to get my lipos yet but i will probaly be charging 5000-6000 mah lipos. i may buy one or two 7000mah. I understand what watts and amps to go for but i do not know what brand charger i should use.

i need an 6A or higher that can charge two lipos at once.
    i also do not want to spend to much, i want to spend under $100 USD
    I am aware of the danger of lipos

What are the best brands, i really do not want to have a fire in my house :P

Sorry admins for naming so many 'non' traxxas brands
    Any help would be really appreiciated
    Last edited by Amistry20; 11-26-2017 at 05:23 AM.
    I ask way to many questions

RC Qualifier
    i would go Venom. and lipo bags are necessary! if the lipo bag doesnt seem trusty, nor the company, the lipo bag will most likely not work. be safe! also, dont go DIY on this stuff. dont use an ammo box either, as the lipos might short circuit and destroy your house. do some more researching on the internet too, before u buy. also if u can, go 2 ur local hobby shop. they most likely have got u covered.

hope this helps! and i need some help too on my thread called: "Help! Castle ESC & Motor"
    $+RC+more$+friends+more$=FUN!
    YouTube: EvHexRC1

My lhs just tries to sell me what they have. They sell allot of no name and big Chinese brands like skyrc. They do not have a big selection and they are not much help with chargers. They don't have a large range because they can't make much profit as shipping is too expensive to Australia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Amistry20 View Post
    My lhs just tries to sell me what they have. They sell allot of no name and big Chinese brands like skyrc. They do not have a big selection and they are not much help with chargers. They don't have a large range because they can't make much profit as shipping is too expensive to Australia

I can give you a bit of advice. I have the ID dual easy peak charger which to me is not a bad charger. I didn't like it at first cause it has no displays. Only lights and tones. That would be my only reason for not buying one. Its good to see what is going on while charging instead of just lights. I did purchase a radient charger later on and started using that and found it was more of a pain than the ID charger so I took It back and now stick with the ID charger. Once I start buying the SMC batteries I will more than likely go with the hitec dual.

I have heard nothing but good things about the hitec chargers. A top of the line charger and get the one you really want. It's always a good thing if you can to pay a little extra for the best.......

If you have Traxxas ID batteries which is all i have at this time. It is nice to just plug in and push start. It charges rather quickly also.

One more thing I just read. The ID charger recommends 2 to 3s only.. hmmmm I never knew that. Good thing mine are all 2 and 3s...
    Last edited by lektro; 11-26-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

Thanks, i appreciate the advice. Are there any other dual lipo chargers i should know about?
    How does the venom compare to the hitec, the venom has better specs but you cant change the wattage on both sides
    Last edited by Amistry20; 11-26-2017 at 04:48 PM.

I'm in Australia and got a Hitec x2 from A Main.
    Love it works beaut.

2 very good lipo threads.

Batteries Explained:
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6289866

Going Lipo:
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9051805

I have had experience with Trx and Hitec chargers. Trx chargers are super user friendly. Hitec offers way more options and can take some time to learn them. Lipos are safe, even solder balance leads back on, accidentally arched them, had bad accident with them hard enough to crack hard case open and damage cells inside. Just handle with care and take precautions and theyll give long life worry free.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

Now i am conviced to get the hitec is the better choice. They must be good, Briber, you have 2 so yeah.
    One question, the Hitec x2 does not come with banana plugs that do not come with a connector on there. If i were to buy some with the connectors on there, instead of soldering connectors, what banana plug size would i need. People say that it is 4mm.

Thanks for helping me decide guys!!!

Now i am conviced to get the hitec is the better choice. They must be good, Briber, you have 2 so yeah.
    One question, the Hitec x2 does not come with banana plugs that do not come with a connector on there. If i were to buy some with the connectors on there, instead of soldering connectors, what banana plug size would i need. People say that it is 4mm.

Thanks for helping me decide guys!!!
    4mm is correct. You will be happy with your choice.

I just ordered the hitec x2 black edition
    i am really confused, it says the total watts is 100w
    but it says each port does 10 amps
    Does each port do 10 amps?
    is that a total of 20 amps?
    is that right?
    or is the the same as the normal hitec x2
    Last edited by Amistry20; 12-02-2017 at 05:41 AM.

RC Qualifier
    My new charger arrived yesterday. Does anyone have experience with this one
    https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...arger-dync2050
    It is 4x100W, so I can charge 4x10A?

I just ordered the hitec x2 black edition
    i am really confused, it says the total watts is 100w
    but it says each port does 10 amps
    Does each port do 10 amps?
    is that a total of 20 amps?
    is that right?
    or is the the same as the normal hitec x2
    100w is in ac house power. 200w is in dc 12v car battery power. I have the X2 Plus and in my charger I can change how much watts per Channel say 100 Watts on A and 0 watts on B or 50/50 Watts. 50/50 ac is good for about 5 amps per channel. I hope this make sense

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Good work isn't cheap, cheap work isn't good

I understand that, so the black edition has the same power? And can you split the power, like on the normal x2 plus?
    Thx for the help

I understand that, so the black edition has the same power? And can you split the power, like on the normal x2 plus?
    Thx for the help

From everything I read it has the same specs. The only thing I don't know is if you can split or not but I imagine you could let us know when you get it

Quote Originally Posted by Myrustlervxl View Post
    From everything I read it has the same specs. The only thing I don't know is if you can split or not but I imagine you could let us know when you get it

I did some more reading it does split in AC mode it sounds like it's sound a regular x2 plus

My lhs just tries to sell me what they have.
    and i thaught it was just my lhs that did this
    cool ain't cheap -Dan Dreger

Quote Originally Posted by Myrustlervxl View Post
    I did some more reading it does split in AC mode it sounds like it's sound a regular x2 plus

Yes, i had spent about half an hour reading through the manual and i had found that it does support the power distrubtion, just like the normal hitec x2 plus.
    Just for anyone who was thinking of buying it

Thanks guys for the help!

Yess! My Hitec x2 plus black edition has arrived. I have been fiddling around with it all day.
    The problem that I have encountered is whenever I charge my batteries, the charger wont charge them at the amp that i had selected. I am currently charging my nimh and when i want to charge my traxxas 3000mah at 2c (6amp) the charger will only charge at 5.1amps? and when i charge it on the smart nimh charge, the battery will only charge at 2.1 amps? The amp then stays at these amps and wont rise any higher.
    Channel B is at 0.1 amps so the spilt charging feature cant be the problem
    Please, anyhelp would be appreciated
    Last edited by Amistry20; 12-13-2017 at 07:48 PM.