RC poster

Alternative batteries

Hi all im getting a slash 4x4 soon and wondering if any other battery make would fit into the slash.The traxxas lipo batteries have the balance wire interconnected into the end connector, where as the other batteries ive seen have a separate fly lead for balancing. Will the balancing fly lead need connecting when in use with the slash or is it just for charging. Also i will need a converter lead to convert from one battery to the traxxas connector is there some sort of kit where you can get different connections for all types of batteries. Just asking all these questions because i have seen cheaper lipo batteries from other makes.So can someome point me in the right direction as what i need in the way of a lipo charger that will charge most battieries and really esy to use,what to do with the balance fly lead,good make of battery,and a converter kit to use different batteries. thanks

Alternative batteries

If you want a easy and hassle free way of charging lipos, use the traxxas id lipos with the charger traxxas makes to charge them. It takes care of the technical stuff.
    The traxxas id lipos are fairly expensive so if you want to use cheaper lipos I would cut the connector of the car and replace it with the old style of traxxas connector ( ask your local hobby shop for how to do that). That way you can use other brands of lipos which are cheaper and more powerfull. Do you have a lipo charger? DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT CHARGE LIPOS WITH THE CHARGER THAT COMES WITH THE SLASH as the charger it comes with can only charge NIMH batteries.
    Most batteries should fit, just check the dimensions of the lipo but most should fit.
    Balance charging is the safest way to charge LIPOS, I would not recommend getting a cheap lipo charger as they may charge your LIPOS incorrectly and result in a big fire. The traxxas chargers are good and safe. Make sure you look after LIPOS as they are extremely dangerous. Have a look online for how to take care of lipos.

Did I write too much
    Good luck and have fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Amistry20; 11-26-2017 at 07:00 AM.
    I ask way to many questions

You can buy any brand of battery and as long as it has a TRX connector (even non ID) it will work in your​ slash. The balance lead is only for charging.

Quote Originally Posted by Amistry20 View Post
    If you want a easy and hassle free way of charging lipos, use the traxxas id lipos with the charger traxxas makes to charge them. It takes care of the technical stuff.
    The traxxas id lipos are fairly expensive so if you want to use cheaper lipos I would cut the connector of the car and replace it with the old style of traxxas connector ( ask your local hobby shop for how to do that). That way you can use other brands of lipos which are cheaper and more powerfull. Do you have a lipo charger? DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT CHARGE LIPOS WITH THE CHARGER THAT COMES WITH THE SLASH as the charger it comes with can only charge NIMH batteries.
    Most batteries should fit, just check the dimensions of the lipo but most should fit.
    Balance charging is the safest way to charge LIPOS, I would not recommend getting a cheap lipo charger as they may charge your LIPOS incorrectly and result in a big fire. The traxxas chargers are good and safe. Make sure you look after LIPOS as they are extremely dangerous. Have a look online for how to take care of lipos.

Did I write too much
    Good luck and have fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Completely unnecessary to cut the plug off the car! Any battery with a Traxxas plug will work with the iD connector on the car. i use SMC packs with the old style (THCC)Traxxas connector in my GT with the iD style plug on the esc. Buy a decent charger with balance/storage modes, read up on lipo care/storage/charging and you'll be fine. A little common sense goes a long way.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Completely unnecessary to cut the plug off the car! Any battery with a Traxxas plug will work with the iD connector on the car. i use SMC packs with the old style (THCC)Traxxas connector in my GT with the iD style plug on the esc. Buy a decent charger with balance/storage modes, read up on lipo care/storage/charging and you'll be fine. A little common sense goes a long way.
    Very good advice.....

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply some very good information. As im from the uk im thinking of getting some 5000mah 2s lipo batteries at a very good price only thing is that it has a deans connection on it will a deans to trx connection work with the slash and will the trx connection need to be male or female to connect to the car thanks
    Last edited by Stupot; 11-26-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupot View Post
    Thanks for the reply some very good information. As im from the uk im thinking of getting some 5000mah 2s lipo batteries at a very good price only thing is that it has a deans connection on it will a deans to trx connection work with the slash thanks
    Of course you just need an adapter. make your own or am sure you can buy them.
    Choose Life !!!

Sorry for the confusion, in my experience the id connector on the car was a little light when using the older style connector on my batteries.
    I ask way to many questions

Quote Originally Posted by Stupot View Post
    Hi all im getting a slash 4x4 soon and wondering if any other battery make would fit into the slash.The traxxas lipo batteries have the balance wire interconnected into the end connector, where as the other batteries ive seen have a separate fly lead for balancing. Will the balancing fly lead need connecting when in use with the slash or is it just for charging. Also i will need a converter lead to convert from one battery to the traxxas connector is there some sort of kit where you can get different connections for all types of batteries. Just asking all these questions because i have seen cheaper lipo batteries from other makes.So can someome point me in the right direction as what i need in the way of a lipo charger that will charge most battieries and really esy to use,what to do with the balance fly lead,good make of battery,and a converter kit to use different batteries. thanks
    Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

My advice to you regarding chargers is to get a better charger than what you need. I got the deal of a lifetime on a charger in 2009 and it still is a bit above what I can use. I would recommend that you get the fan for the esc for cheap insurance. What model Slash 4x4 do you plan to buy?
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    Sorrry for the long delay in a response. I'm thinking of getting the Traxxas Slash 4x4 Brushless RTR - TSM (Mike Jenkins) edition. I would also like the Traxxas Slash 4x4 Brushless RTR OBA, TSM - Mark Jenkins edition but i cant justify the extra 70 here in the uk just for extra OBA i take it thats the only difference between the two.

My advice to you regarding chargers is to get a better charger than what you need. I got the deal of a lifetime on a charger in 2009 and it still is a bit above what I can use. I would recommend that you get the fan for the esc for cheap insurance.

Words of wisdom right there.

El Sob;

My advice to you regarding chargers is to get a better charger than what you need. I got the deal of a lifetime on a charger in 2009 and it still is a bit above what I can use. I would recommend that you get the fan for the esc for cheap insurance.

Words of wisdom right there.