RC poster

Question Latraz Teton Spur Gear Stripping

So I took my newly repaired Traxxas Teton out today and ran it hard with my Viper battery for a solid half hour on loose gravel (pretty much sand) and stripped my plastic spur gear again. I was aware that running this little thing on gravel would in fact damage the gear, but I am looking for a permanent solution. I've found a metal Spur gear on ebay for a replacement but I'm not sure if just replacing the broken parts with metal ones is good enough. Here is the link to the gear I'm ordering: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Met...gAAOSwo4pYDpvL

So here are my questions:

Is ebay a reliable place to get modification parts?

Is there a cheaper way (than modding) to prevent the continual stripping of the spur gear from running on gravel?

Could this be a continual problem even if I replace the gear with a metal one?

RC Enthusiast
    I can tell you that if you're running a brushless system, it will fail at any weak point. I upgraded the whole drive train to Hot Racing steel parts and then the pinion gear stripped as it was only aluminium! Now replaced.

If your still running stock then a metal spur gear should solve your problem but here's a tip; behind the Spur gear is the problem. A design flaw, 2-3mm gap which is how sand gets inside the gear casing. When you replace the gear, if you can improvise a pi metal or plastic sleeve to go over the drive shift and sit behind the spur gear, it will eradicate the problem.

The steel spur gear from Hot Racing actually comes with this part which is genius on their part.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thanks. I will probably get that spur from hot racing. It's interesting how their results and most RC part dealer results for upgrade parts don't show on a google search. I will make sure to check hot racing next time I'm planning on buying a hop up or repair.