Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm

2s xl5 can run 4s...

A member claimed he was able to run 3s in his brushed slash with the 2s xl5 esc. I didnt have a 3s, so i figgured id try 4s... It works. Now i have not put a load on the system yet, so dont run out and buy a battery. Also running higher that 3s on your trx4s stock esc will void your warranty if you try. Im wondering if these 2 escs are the same animal with different stickers...

Anyway, here is a quick vid running it with my 35t in my ascender... Im gonna put the xl5 and a titan 21 turn into my slash buggy and do some 30mph bashing and see if the titan holds up...

Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Just wanted to make note that the XL5 in the video is a much older version than the current production model. The current XL-5 or XL-5HV will go into over-voltage protection when you exceed the suggested voltage range.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

the xl-5 i use on 3s(and i to will soon be trying 4s) is off an 2wd stampede from around 2008
    so mine would be a 2008(ish) xl-5. what year did they start having over voltage protection?
    cool ain't cheap

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    A member claimed he was able to run 3s in his brushed slash with the 2s xl5 esc. I didnt have a 3s, so i figgured id try 4s... It works. Now i have not put a load on the system yet, so dont run out and buy a battery. Also running higher that 3s on your trx4s stock esc will void your warranty if you try. Im wondering if these 2 escs are the same animal with different stickers...

Anyway, here is a quick vid running it with my 35t in my ascender... Im gonna put the xl5 and a titan 21 turn into my slash buggy and do some 30mph bashing and see if the titan holds up...

The Titan holds 4s fine. If I'm not mistaken, that's the voltage it sees in an emaxx. And I ran one on 4s for a while in a telluride with a mmp.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Not worried about 21t titan. I know the slash 12t will blow on 4s. My only concern with this setup is if my xl5 can handle ( traxxas employee tireslinger mentioned current 2s xl5s wont turn on if you over volt them.) 4s with the titan 21t bashing in my lightweight slash buggy. Any trx4 owners... The 3s xl5 has over voltage protection. If you plug 4s into it, it should not turn on according to trx specs. Anyone wanna try? If it runs the 21t on 4s...

If the stock trx4 esc can run 4s, i will buy the truck by noon...
    Last edited by rag6; 11-27-2017 at 11:23 PM.

Rag, you're the best! I can just see it in my minds eye..... a mega motored Back-trx-4 sending it at the Bashplex. May need to add a wing to get it to fly flat...... So are you a new owner? Its well past noon now.....

I ran a telluride on 4s for a while with a 21t Titan. It isn't THAT impressive. Lol

I remember a few years ago a guy with a Rustler on these boards who made a few 4s passes with the original blue xl5 and the 12t.

Had one to many beverages last night lol. I wanna test it in my slash buggy 1st. The 3s amd current 2s escs are different than mine. No one has confirmed that the xl5hv will run 4s...

I'm pretty sure tireslinger said it will go into over voltage protection mode. Lol

But i think traxxas has said all along that the xl5 has had ov protection.... Guess it wont hurt to plug a 4s in and find out then huh?

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    But i think traxxas has said all along that the xl5 has had ov protection.... Guess it wont hurt to plug a 4s in and find out then huh?
    It might not.

But, it might. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    It might not.

But, it might. Lol

I ran a mamba max (not pro) rated for 3s on 4s for years with an external bec. If you attempt to do it long term, I'd run one.

RC poster
    This is my fist post so any help would be great. I've got a 2wd slash that ive done some upgrades to and I realized my old VXL motor was shot. Bad. Any Ideas who to contact?

Quote Originally Posted by cdixon View Post
    This is my fist post so any help would be great. I've got a 2wd slash that ive done some upgrades to and I realized my old VXL motor was shot. Bad. Any Ideas who to contact?
    Start a new thread buddy. But, your best bet, Imo, would be a castle upgrade. The vxl motors new are overpriced in my opinion. However, it's easy to run across a good used one cheap.

Im gonna put the xl5 and 21t in my cheapo slash this week and give it a go on 4s. I also picked up 3 more xl5s to test for 4s...ivness. Ill let you know if it runs hot or not... Wonder if the lvc wotks... The light is green when i plug it in.

I know the xl5 that come in the newer rustler don't like 3s.

Breaking parts one run at a time

Lemmy get one of these older xl5s to survive a 4s load, and ill give it to a trx 4 owner to try on 4s.

so has anyone tried running the xl-5 on the ground with 4s yet?
    cool ain't cheap

Im guessing the 3s version will not, and it seems no one here will try. Ive got the older versions with the 3 separate heatsinks as opposed to the 3s with a single sink, and the current 2s version that has no heatsink. I do plan to gear it up and see if i can blow it up. If it runs through a 5000 4s pack without overheating or smoking, ill send one of my esc to someone to try in their trx4 on 4s....