le cheap summit.

Hey guys, i bought this summit a while back, havent had any time to mess with it until just recently. I payed $50 for just the truck and an extra set of tires. Since the radio was missing, i used an old revo system and a couple of servo splicers, now when i engage the low speed in the trans the diffs are always locked, (not terribly happy about this but whatever). The previous owner used to "race" it lol and had put it away packed full of mud and dirt for a year, as a result of this lack of sense, the motor was no good (have a new one on the way) and 90% of the screws and hardware were rusted solid. The truck was in pretty sad shape all around, broken a-arm, bad motor, no remote, broken steering knuckle, missing a couple of the splined nuts for the wheels, and some other stuff. This is going to be a "build" thread, not planning on anything too extraordinary, but i'm by no means leaving it stock. It's going to be a very slow build due to lack of funds but it will be a clean build. First step is to get the motor here and see how she does! Here are some pics of it as of right now. Let me know if the pics work, been trying to figure out Imgur still not used to it.

if you fall, I'll catch you! - Your Floor

Not seeing pictures.

Dont judge the wiring, just temporary, i'll have it loomed up here pretty quick if i have the time to mess with it. Still not a bad buy for $50, needs some work but it's a summit so it was a no brainer.

Last edited by RCMad72; 11-27-2017 at 09:25 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Holy spaghetti. I think I'd have bought it too.

At $50 (with free spaghetti ) it was a steal. Its an am radio model. Just toss that antique rx receiver and upgrade it slowly.
    It looks solid.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    At $50 (with free spaghetti ) it was a steal. Its an am radio model. Just toss that antique rx receiver and upgrade it slowly.
    It looks solid.
    that was just a receiver i had in my revo and i would rather have am anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by RCMad72 View Post
    that was just a receiver i had in my revo and i would rather have am anyways.
    I've got to know. Why?
    Not having a go. I run my Summit with the original am radio but, I am going to finally put a 2.4ghz setup in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trentbaby65 View Post
    I've got to know. Why?
    Not having a go. I run my Summit with the original am radio but, I am going to finally put a 2.4ghz setup in it.
    Idk, i'm just old school i guess, i've never even had a truck with 2.4ghz. I have nothing against 2.4 but i'm used to the am and ik how it all works.

Motor showed up yesterday, so i'm going to try to put that in today if i can. Here's my list of future upgrades, new body, Hot Racing carbon fiber and billet aluminum hub carriers, tires and wheels, light bar, bumpers, Traxxas chassis brace, Integy skid plates, Proline extended body mounts, and a couple other small things here and there. I'm going to try to build an oversized receiver box today if i can and get the motor in and broken in. Then i'm going to take it out with a buddy on thursday or friday to get a true test run in a dry creek bed. More pics to come once i get the motor in, the wires loomed, and a receiver box built!

Sounds like you have a plan.
    Have fun Summiting.

A brushed motor spews a lot of electrical interference and will drastically shorten (if not stop) your AM radio signal. The reason why 2.4ghz is preferred. But as long as you have on those capacitor caps on the motor you chould be fine.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    A brushed motor spews a lot of electrical interference and will drastically shorten (if not stop) your AM radio signal. The reason why 2.4ghz is preferred. But as long as you have on those capacitor caps on the motor you chould be fine.
    I believe the new motor has the caps, i havent had time to put it on unfortunately, if not, i'll rob the ones off the old motor.

well guys, quick update after having not touched the thing for a couple months. I got the motor in and all the electronics working flawlessly, the driveline couldn't be more solid, and the truck looks great. Finally got to drive it the other day and it was freaking awesome!!! it went over pretty much whatever i put in front of it with ease. This truck was great!! i think i have about $120 in it total! one thing i need is a set of tires at some point, mine have a couple tears in the sidewall. What is a good upgrade for the stock Canyon ats that's around the same price? all i will be doing with this truck is some pretty intense rock crawling. Thanks in advance!!

RC Qualifier
    I was going to say that the TRX-4 is better but $50! That's insane. I would take that any day.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkletron View Post
    I was going to say that the TRX-4 is better but $50! That's insane. I would take that any day.
    For what I do, the summit is king, I've tried scale crawlers and the summit kicks em

Anyways, I'm still looking for a set of tires for the ole Summit. Any suggestions? I'm looking for around the same price as the stock Canyons. All I do is crawling so I need something with a super soft compound. Not really wanting any of the RC4WD 40 series wheels and tires. Thanks for the input!