RC Champion

Steel transmission gears - good/bad/otherwise?

Anyone try these out? 3rd weekend with my .28 powered revo and ripped out the 1st gear again. It's fine bashing around but for whatever reason the track seems to kill the plastic gears fast. Maybe it's because there only one stretch of the track where I can get going fast enough to hit second for a little bit?
    I have an RC problem...

When nitro was much more popular and people were putting big blocks in their Revo, yes, they went with the steel gearing.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    seems like the way to go is to do the steel first gear set and leave the rest plastic to save some rotational weight. may have to try this out since it's getting old replacing the gears every 5-6 runs.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Racer
    i was breaking pins and shredding gears with mine. once i did the full rrp trans i never had any issues with gears or pins.

RC Champion
    good to know. I think the parts will show up tomorrow and i will do the install this weekend.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Champion
    well - got the steel gears in and first run the one-way bearing inside the trans started slipping. I even remembered to put a little bit of that hudy one-way lube in the bearing but I think it was already done. Its my own fault for not replacing it when i had it apart for the gears.

Regarding the gears - I installed the 1st/2nd speed steels gears but left the plastic main gears in place (output gears) because I never had an issue with those ones and figured is would save a little weight.
    I have an RC problem...