RC poster

1/10 brushless rally...???

So some friends and I who have been racing a lot of 1/10 SCT both 2wd and 4wd, decided it may be fun to try some more road-like racing but still have some off-road obstacles. Seems Rally is right in line with what we were thinking. I found that Traxxas now offers some nice 4wd rally cars, but there are no options for any RTR kits with their brushless system installed. Of course it states they're already built for an easy upgrade to brushless, but does anyone know if they will offer a brushless version anytime soon?

It seems like they offered one several years ago and it was discontinued. I can't seem to find any around me, as they're aren't many hobby shops around here.

What's the deal Traxxas?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Littletreeguy View Post
    So some friends and I who have been racing a lot of 1/10 SCT both 2wd and 4wd, decided it may be fun to try some more road-like racing but still have some off-road obstacles. Seems Rally is right in line with what we were thinking. I found that Traxxas now offers some nice 4wd rally cars, but there are no options for any RTR kits with their brushless system installed. Of course it states they're already built for an easy upgrade to brushless, but does anyone know if they will offer a brushless version anytime soon?

It seems like they offered one several years ago and it was discontinued. I can't seem to find any around me, as they're aren't many hobby shops around here.

What's the deal Traxxas?
    Yeah, I am sort of in line with your thinking. I have two of the old VXL rally 1:10 and they are pretty fantastic. I was saying pretty much what you're saying to one of the employees at a local hobby shop and I asked his opinion.

What he said was that it opened up the market for beginners because now they can get a tenth scale four-wheel drive for under $300.
    Not sure if that was his opinion necessarily or the Traxxas talking points. But what he said is true. The VXL rally was four hundred bucks and it wasn't selling nearly as well as it could have.

So, there's two ways you could go about getting a new brushless rally depending on what you and your friends want. You could purchase the new rally and upgraded with the brushless system which is what a lot of people are doing right now. The benefit of which is that since you guys are just doing it yourselves you could set your spec for a better system than the VXL.

Or you could getting slash platinum or ultimate and change it into a rally using the bumpers and body mounts cuz that's the only difference really besides the body and in addition you would have the aluminum hop UPS that the regular rally VXL did not get. If you were to go that route the Traxxas part numbers for the bumpers are 7436 7415 X and 7437 in addition to those you would also need the rear bumper from a 4 x 4 stampede.

The benefit of the second option is that there have been rally bodies available for the Slash from protoform, from Pro-Line, and from Delta plastik four actually quite a long time now...

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thanks for the feedback Edgar. I can understand wanting to keep the price-point down... but almost any video posted on the internet or any article where it comes up, the owners have upgraded them to a brushless system... you'd think they would offer that. The Platinum slash conversion isn't too bad of an idea. It just surprises me.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the feedback Edgar. I can understand wanting to keep the price-point down... but almost any video posted on the internet or any article where it comes up, the owners have upgraded them to a brushless system... you'd think they would offer that. The Platinum slash conversion isn't too bad of an idea. It just surprises me.
    Agreed. The narrow a-arms (to accommodate the more scale look of the Fiesta) and the brushed system were the major changes. Those along with the plastic ctr driveshaft are the first mods everyone seems to be doing... I hope that the vxl version with the aluminum driveshaft is a premium option soon.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I wish Traxxas could do something like a "build your own kit". Where you pick a platform (slash/rustler/on-road/etc...) and it gives you a set price for a kit with standard features, then allow you to modify it. For example:
    (prices are just for an idea and to keep the idea simple not actual)
    Slash 4x4 platform $250
    Chassis: Std chassis included. Add LCG chassis : + $5
    Body: Clear, cut body included. Add Painted body : +$40
    A-Arms: Plastic arms included. Add Aluminum arms : +20
    Motor and esc: Brushed included Add Brushless : +$99
    Radio: Traxxas 2ch included. No radio : - $45

etc....

Of course, that is a lot easier if you're just pushing out kits and not RTR packages, and would take more time from the factory, but at the same time, there are a lot of folks that are upgrading Traxxas cars and this way, they may do more of through Traxxas. Just and idea, but I don't know who to pitch that too. lol

I wish Traxxas could do something like a "build your own kit". Where you pick a platform (slash/rustler/on-road/etc...) and it gives you a set price for a kit with standard features, then allow you to modify it. For example:
    (prices are just for an idea and to keep the idea simple not actual)
    Slash 4x4 platform $250
    Chassis: Std chassis included. Add LCG chassis : + $5
    Body: Clear, cut body included. Add Painted body : +$40
    A-Arms: Plastic arms included. Add Aluminum arms : +20
    Motor and esc: Brushed included Add Brushless : +$99
    Radio: Traxxas 2ch included. No radio : - $45

etc....

Of course, that is a lot easier if you're just pushing out kits and not RTR packages, and would take more time from the factory, but at the same time, there are a lot of folks that are upgrading Traxxas cars and this way, they may do more of through Traxxas. Just and idea, but I don't know who to pitch that too. lol
    Pitch it to Traxxas. However, you have to think of the complexity involved for logistics as well as personnel to handle it. In the end Traxxas would have to determine if it is profitable or not. Would that part of the industry be big enough to warrant such an expense? Don't think so as many people mutt their vehicles with a whole slew of non-Traxxas parts (think RPM, Castle, MIP, STRC, Pro-line, O.S., et al).
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    I definitely agree Double G.... that takes a lot of man-power and coordination. Likely not to ever change... Just a "it would make MY life easier" kinda thought... LOL