RC Competitor

Recomended upgrades for really long trials?

Hello guys
    recently i have a new hobby - long walks into the forest.... and i`ll get summit for companion. So, can you recomend me what i have to change to make it deal with the long routes? It will be driven through mountain paths and etc., not so rocky paths....
    I am not sure about the esc/motor combo... what do you say about sensorless mamba combo?
    I want to eliminate the weak spot - esc/motor, couse i want to drive through mud, water and snow.
    Any suggestions for sensorless and gearing?
    Is it worthy to stick with the stock esc and motor?
    The routes are really long 4 hours in one direction.....

To be honest, a stock Summit will do 4+ hour treks no problem. Now not saying you shouldn't upgrade at every opportunity but, you don't have to.
    The weakest point for rocky trails will be the soft stock tyres. Great for crawling but they do tend to rip quite easily on rocks and the like.
    The stock motor and esc as well as servos will have no problem with water and mud. Just clean and relube after wet running.
    My Summit is ancient, old am radio model, and has over 10,000 kms on it. It goes on 2 hour walks through the bush with me 4-5 times a week. Never had a problem except for wear and tear. Bearings, tyres, diff seals and rod ends are all I've had to replace. I do strip it down and relube diffs, bearings and re oil shocks every 6 months.
    Great truck.
    Last edited by Trentbaby65; 12-05-2017 at 08:35 PM.

RC Competitor
    10,000k? Lol! So, you say that i don`t need to buy RPM`s since i wont bash it, and etc?
    About the stock motor and esc.... maybe i will keep them, but shall i change the motor with kershaw designs dewalt?
    Are the servos reliable? What are u bringing with u on these walks? Any spares?
    I will drive it with lipos...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
    10,000k? Lol! So, you say that i don`t need to buy RPM`s since i wont bash it, and etc?
    About the stock motor and esc.... maybe i will keep them, but shall i change the motor with kershaw designs dewalt?
    I Dont know if the Kershaw Dewalts and conversion kits are available any more. The owner Dan died a couple months ago and I think the web site is gone. If your traveling that far each time I would do a brushless conversion and esc. I did the power up program through traxxas on one of mine and it works great on trails. If your going to rock crawl get a sensored set up so it doesn't cog at start up. The brushless will last for a very long time and most important it will use considerably less electricity from your batteries. I have the old SPC 8200mah 2c batteries and I'm guessing on just trails with brushless i would get 2 hours or more at least. I have a set of trenchers for my trail unit and they work great. a little stiffer than stock and thinner which makes the trails easier. Not so great for rock crawling!!

When I go for long outings i carry extra batteries, a small tool kit, battery meter and that's about it. The Summits have never failed me, often said they are better than a really good dog. That all being said I do have some stock and upgraded parts at home in case something needs to be repaired when i get back. Most reliable RC I own by far. Enjoy
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    I Dont know if the Kershaw Dewalts and conversion kits are available any more. The owner Dan died a couple months ago and I think the web site is gone. If your traveling that far each time I would do a brushless conversion and esc. I did the power up program through traxxas on one of mine and it works great on trails. If your going to rock crawl get a sensored set up so it doesn't cog at start up. The brushless will last for a very long time and most important it will use considerably less electricity from your batteries. I have the old SPC 8200mah 2c batteries and I'm guessing on just trails with brushless i would get 2 hours or more at least. I have a set of trenchers for my trail unit and they work great. a little stiffer than stock and thinner which makes the trails easier. Not so great for rock crawling!!

When I go for long outings i carry extra batteries, a small tool kit, battery meter and that's about it. The Summits have never failed me, often said they are better than a really good dog. That all being said I do have some stock and upgraded parts at home in case something needs to be repaired when i get back. Most reliable RC I own by far. Enjoy
    From what I have heard a new owner has stepped up to keep Kershaw going.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    If i go with brushless - i have one free mamba 2 esc, but what motor should i put?
    What is the best gearing for lower speeds?

RC Competitor
    well, i decided not to go with brushless....just becouse i am for real slow walks.... i will get one spare titan motor just in case and thats all.... hope the servos wont die
    spring recomendations?
    oh yes ... and how about this upgrade? http://kershawdesigns.com/E-Revo-Sin...Conversion.htm
    Last edited by bumblebee; 12-07-2017 at 01:03 PM.

RC Champion
    well, i decided not to go with brushless....just becouse i am for real slow walks.... i will get one spare titan motor just in case and thats all.... hope the servos wont die
    spring recomendations?
    oh yes ... and how about this upgrade? http://kershawdesigns.com/E-Revo-Sin...Conversion.htm
    If some one has taken over Kershaw after Dans passing and they still make them available it is an awesome upgrade. I have 3 of them installed and never had a problem. They are a little faster but the low end torque is fabulous. I would gear the pinion down to a 12t or 13t. They are very easy to install, plug and play. You cant beat the price you can buy 3 for the cost of a decent brushless. They used to sell spare brushes as well as the pinion gears. Have fun and enjoy.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    From what I have heard a new owner has stepped up to keep Kershaw going.

Didnt know that. Ill have to find out who took over. Sad about Dan, he really was a good guy and always tried to do right.

I have a 14.4 in one of mine it's going on 4 years now on my 2nd set of brushes.
    They are pretty hardy just clean and lube them after wet running.

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Well,
    if i can`t order from their website what i can do? Is this motor a direct fit? https://www.ebay.com/itm/DeWalt-18V-...EAAOSwV0RXtTDU and what else do i need?

You don't need to have RPM anything. 10,000 kays is a conservative estimate I worked out a while ago. I walk a lot and use the truck for just fun as well. This has been over many years.
    I check and maintain all my rc's often. I'm a mechanic, it's just what I do.
    I've had one micro servo die on me, the 2spd. servo, and stripped the gears once on a steering servo. I did end up replacing the plastic gears with Savox metal gears in both steering servos. Everything else I've replaced has just been because it's worn out like bearings, rod ends, tyres and the like.
    The rear springs are too soft imo and I changed them to double orange springs, same as the front ones, and thought it was much better. Reduced a lot of the rear end squat the Summit has out of the box.
    The only things I take with me are spare batteries. I run 5200mah 30c hardcase lipos and get around one and a half hours to an hour forty five using low range on my walks.
    As long as everything is tight and working properly I see no reason to to take anything else. This assumes I won't be doing anything silly with it when on my walks.
    I've had it in mud, sand, gravel, rocks and in water so deep it was using the tyres like a paddle wheeler to move. Don't get snow where I am, so can't comment on that
    Once again, great truck.
    Just have fun with it.
    Last edited by Trentbaby65; 12-08-2017 at 08:52 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Trentbaby65 View Post
    You don't need to have RPM anything. 10,000 kays is a conservative estimate I worked out a while ago. I walk a lot and use the truck for just fun as well. This has been over many years.
    I check and maintain all my rc's often. I'm a mechanic, it's just what I do.
    I've had one micro servo die on me, the 2spd. servo, and stripped the gears once on a steering servo. I did end up replacing the plastic gears with Savox metal gears in both steering servos. Everything else I've replaced has just been because it's worn out like bearings, rod ends, tyres and the like.
    The rear springs are too soft imo and I changed them to double orange springs, same as the front ones, and thought it was much better. Reduced a lot of the rear end squat the Summit has out of the box.
    The only things I take with me are spare batteries. I run 5200mah 30c hardcase lipos and get around one and a half hours to an hour forty five using low range on my walks.
    As long as everything is tight and working properly I see no reason to to take anything else. This assumes I won't be doing anything silly with it when on my walks.
    I've had it in mud, sand, gravel, rocks and in water so deep it was using the tyres like a paddle wheeler to move. Don't get snow where I am, so can't comment on that
    Once again, great truck.
    Just have fun with it.
    I just bought my Summit (used but clean) 2 weeks ago today. This is what I wanted to read thank you.
    Stampede Vxl Aton Summit

RC Competitor
    Yes, very helpfull. Thank you..
    now i hope i can still order kershawdesigns motor...or if i can`t i will stick with the stock titan

Yes, very helpfull. Thank you..
    now i hope i can still order kershawdesigns motor...or if i can`t i will stick with the stock titan
    You're more than welcome.
    You'll love it. I think of mine like a faithful pet. More torque is great but just drive it while looking around and researching. The Summit faq's on this site are an awesome source of quality info.
    You'll find it a bit quiet around here sometimes, but there's a faithfull group of Summit lovers here, always willing to help you spend your money.
    Driving it will let you decide what upgrades, if any, you need to suit your style of use.

RC Competitor
    Hey,
    any suggestions for motor and esc fan? Here`s getting pretty hot during the summer and i need something to cooldown the motor and esc

Hey,
    any suggestions for motor and esc fan? Here`s getting pretty hot during the summer and i need something to cooldown the motor and esc
    I'm running stock motor and esc in my truck. Never had a problem with heat on standard gearing and tyres. I've even broken all the cooling vanes off the standard motors fan and she still hasn't had a problem with heat. 35c to 38c where I am.

RC Competitor
    well, nobody is responding at the kershawdesigns e-mail, so i guess i will stick with the stock motor

RC poster
    I've been looking around to do a conversion for lipo on mine for a while, and I seem to have found the battery you described, but wanted to get more exact product information before I get something that doesn't fit was well as I would hope. Do you think a ******* 5200mAh 2s 30C HC would work once I re-solder the connections? Size is apparently 137 x 46 x 25mm which from my measurements would seem to fit.

Yep. It will fit like a charm.
    The only thing you'll have to do is reverse the plastic battery brackets inside the battery box. The 7 cell 8.4 volt nimh packs are longer. A standard 6 cell 7.2 volt nimh pack is the same length as a 2S lipo.

RC Competitor
    Guys i need help.
    I throw out the stock servos and put this http://xpert-rc.com/product/wr-7701-hv/ but it seems the 6v. is not enough. I am using the stock ESC. I am going to put some BEC to power it for 7.4 volts but could u tell me hwo to do it?
    Couse ... the receiver accepts only 6 v. and i want to power the servo with 7.4 v. and i am afraid that transmitter will die...
    Last edited by bumblebee; 12-19-2017 at 12:00 PM.

RC Competitor
    My summit is already here it`s awesome guys!
    Now, can you recomend me a good servo upgrade? WP ofcourse and that will be OK with the stock BEC - 6v

Guys i need help.
    I throw out the stock servos and put this http://xpert-rc.com/product/wr-7701-hv/ but it seems the 6v. is not enough. I am using the stock ESC. I am going to put some BEC to power it for 7.4 volts but could u tell me hwo to do it?
    Couse ... the receiver accepts only 6 v. and i want to power the servo with 7.4 v. and i am afraid that transmitter will die...

You will need the Castle Creations 20 amp BEC and card programmer. Go to their website and download the software. (IF I remembercorrectly) connect your computer to the programming card via usb cable, connect the other side of the card to the bec via a servo cable then follow the downloaded sofware instructions.

Google bec servo wiring (or see Castle Creations website) for a wiring diagram.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Competitor
    The servo is not strong enough at 6volts for this truck.
    I need another suggestions for servo at 6 v...waterproof

The servo is not strong enough at 6volts for this truck.
    I need another suggestions for servo at 6 v...waterproof
    Actually the servo you linked to is a nice servo (6v = 347oz torqu,, 8.4volts= 485oz torque). Most people would be happy at 347 oz of torque. Just get the Castle bec to unleash the 485oz of torque. And its waterproof.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

^^^ This !^^^