RC Racer

Body alternatives

I am looking to get the Ford Gt for my son but wanted to check with folks on any other bodies that fit. I read that the bodies made by Vaterra fit well and wanted to check if anyone had bought one off the shelf and used it. I have dealt primarily with the Slash and am used to dabbling with aftermarket bodies made by Proline and Jconcepts. However, the whole 190-200 mm concept is a little new to me and last thing I want is to drop money on something that canít be repurposed.

RC Qualifier
    just about any 200mm or 190mm 1/10 body should fit. I've seen almost all the VTA bodies fit, the Ford GT body from protoform (i think) fits. i put a ford mustang from Deltaplatik, and it fit perfectly. there are so many sedan and drift bodies available, it makes it hard to choose...
    just be careful buying pre-painted bodies for the Vaterra because they may have the body-mount holes already punched.

RC poster
    My 4tec converted to a VTA for racing. Protoform vintage 1971 Trans Am on there. I have another spec 4tec I'm prepping with a 190mm Protoform Vette body.

Oh well....Photobucket no longer hosts at all. Garbage adds. I need to find another website to host my pics.

RC poster
    Here is my 4tec converted to VTA.

RC Qualifier
    That is awesome!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Electronut View Post
    Here is my 4tec converted to VTA.

That is super cool. I purchased about 7 bodies from different vendors. Will post as soon as I get time to swap out the mounting posts.

RC Racer
    I purchased Vaterra’s Mustang and Corvette bodies and they both fit without punching new holes. It took a while to play around with the adjustable mounting posts but the bodies fit. The gap in the rear wheel well is just 1mm so am not sure if it’s going to be a problem while bashing out on the streets but with a couple of spacers it can be rectified. I must say that Traxxas hit a home run with the adjustable posts. Kudos to the person who thought of it.

RC Racer
    Here's a picture of the Mustang.. Will try to post a few other angles to show how it sits.

Last edited by bashwithslash; 12-17-2017 at 09:08 PM.

RC Racer

Traxxas Employee
    You need to shorten your wheelbase, it's too long. I had to adjust both my front and rear suspension arms for a perfect fit. Technically you are not supposed to adjust the front, but since mine is mostly a shelf queen, I didn't care. I don't have any pictures showing the wheelbase perfectly, but I got mine to line up squarely with not much effort.

RC Racer
    Looks awesome. I am going to try some spacers since I don't feel comfortable with messing around with the wheelbase. How did you get those mirrors on. I couldn't get the darn things to snap in.

RC Racer
    Also, your rims are sick. What make are those and do they fit fine?

Traxxas Employee
    It's actually really easy to change the wheelbase, but it does involve minor cutting. I bet most people could do it in 30 minutes or less. The mirrors were a huge pain. I filed down the ball so it would fit into the mirror more easily.

No issues with the rims. I could have gone with a wider offset in the rear, but this is more authentic looking. I can't even find the rims anymore. They are 26mm with a 3mm offset I think, similar to the #3820 vintage 5 spoke wheels in matte chrome. I painted the spokes.

I love the Mustang and TA!
    Where did you get them?
    Doesn't need to be fancy. Just needs to run.

This was a Goodwill find. It said Toys-r-Us on the bottom. I have never been able to find more than a couple pictures online.

Sla2hP4deXSummitRustyTRX$Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

RC Racer
    wow..need to start visiting the goodwill stores now..

RC Champion
    I put the Protoform J-71 body on mine.

20170704_203328 by bjoehandley, on Flickr

20170704_203426 by bjoehandley, on Flickr
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by bjoehandley View Post
    I put the Protoform J-71 body on mine.

20170704_203328 by bjoehandley, on Flickr

20170704_203426 by bjoehandley, on Flickr
    That looks great. Did you have to adjust your wheelbase at all or remove the foam bumper?

RC Champion
    Just changed the posts.
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Racer
    Am in the process of painting a Tamiya Ferrari body. The body sits fine on the chassis but there is a considerable amount of space between the foam bumper and the front portion of the body. Any ideas on whether there are larger bumpers or if there is a way to extend the bumper out. Am sure it won’t take more than a couple of front collision hits to total the body.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bashwithslash View Post
    Am in the process of painting a Tamiya Ferrari body. The body sits fine on the chassis but there is a considerable amount of space between the foam bumper and the front portion of the body. Any ideas on whether there are larger bumpers or if there is a way to extend the bumper out. Am sure it won’t take more than a couple of front collision hits to total the body.
    Build the bumper out with servo tape, it'll be removable for when you want a different shell.
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Enthusiast
    You dont by chance have any pics of the vette body installed do you? I am thinking of picking up a 4tec and really want to get a vintage vette body on it.

RC Racer
    https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...25&oe=5AF0680C

Let me know if the urls donít work.
    Last edited by bashwithslash; 01-12-2018 at 01:18 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    The corvette is exactly what I was looking at. Thanks man. How hard was it to get on since the holes are already pre drilled in the body?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerman806 View Post
    The corvette is exactly what I was looking at. Thanks man. How hard was it to get on since the holes are already pre drilled in the body?
    It took a little fiddling around with the body posts to make things work with the pre-drilled holes. The problem I had (and am still battling) is that the rear wheel well curves inward in a strange way. It's hard to explain but you will understand what I am saying when you start mounting the body. In the long run, the body will need to be trimmed a little in the rear wheel well area. On fast turns and sudden movements, the body rolls a little bit and the wheel well scrapes against the tire and you can hear it. It's matter of time that the body will start falling apart or the tire might tear due to the lexan poking it.

Quote Originally Posted by bashwithslash View Post
    wow..need to start visiting the goodwill stores now..
    Bash you do need to start visiting Goodwill!

I did it again.
    This time a red C6 Z06!!It is a couple mm to skinny but I think I can make it work.
    Check it out.
    Here is how it looked as I found it. Sucks I cannot reuse the wheels. They are Tight!

Here is how it fits on the 4-TEC

Seriously y'all need to be going by your donation stores. This is my forth solid find and I don't go buy maybe once every couple weeks when I go over there to the sandwich shop.
    The other two go on the Stamp4de.

I have never paid more than 3$ for any of these....!
    Last edited by SummitonSlingrs; 01-16-2018 at 11:29 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Who makes the Z06? Is it an RC? Just curious if you know the manufacturer.

RC Racer
    Probably Revel or Carisma.. interestingly enough you find better scale bodies on the Walmart/Target junk.

Made by XQ Toys http://extrememachinesrc.com/product/182/
    It is a toy grade RC.
    While these bodies are cool I only use for the shelf or parading around as they are heavier and far more fragile. One good whack and it would explode.
    I throw the Lexan on when it's time to get rowdy.

Really I am on the hunt for a unique hard body for the TRX-4. Problem is the TRX-4 is huge.

On a side note check out their Chevy Silverado Camaro...What the heck..
    http://extrememachinesrc.com/product...aro-silverado/
    Last edited by SummitonSlingrs; Yesterday at 02:42 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Never been to a goodwill in my life, Im going Friday after seeing your post. Awesome finds for next to nothing. Thanks for the advise.