RC poster

Another newbie with gearing questions

Hello fellow X-Maxxers! I have searched this forum and 99% of the time, I can find answers. However I am confused as to what to do for my X-Maxx. I am not even sure what to call mine, (V1,V2 or 8s?)
    My truck was a V1, (I think) It used to be a 6s, but I ordered the hop up kit from Traxxas. So I eliminated the slipper clutch, and now have the cush drive. Stock ESC and the original motor that came with it a couple years ago.

I have read that the stock gearing is 18/54. However a lot of people suggest a 22/46 ratio. However when I search online for the new pinion and spur gear, nobody has these parts. Everywhere I look, the parts are back ordered. (Must be the hot ticket!)

So, my question is: "Where the heck do you order this 22/46 gear set from?" I have not even fired it up yet after the 8s conversion kit was installed. I found a 46 tooth metal spur gear, but I think it was the slipper clutch, didn't look quite right on the screen. Are they the same spur gear?

RC Qualifier
    The X0-1 runs the same spur. My buddy just ordered 22/46 gears from GPM. Try them.

V1 6s w/8s conversion
    Max5 Leopard 1090kv

RC Qualifier
    Tra6448x is the 8s 46t steel spur
    fabricator

RC poster
    Thank you for the help. I placed the order with Amain. So.. Plastic is okay? I just replaced a plastic spur gear with the metal gear that came with the hop up kit. So looks like plastic is back? Fine by me if it will hold up.

$2.99 vs. $16.75 for metal. I'd rather replace 5 plastic ones. I haven't had any issues with the plastic myself. Just DON'T use the pin system to set the mesh, & you should be fine.
    V1 6s w/8s conversion
    Max5 Leopard 1090kv

RC Qualifier
    Don’t know why you would want to use plastic on such a high powered truck

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus001 View Post
    $2.99 vs. $16.75 for metal. I'd rather replace 5 plastic ones. I haven't had any issues with the plastic myself. Just DON'T use the pin system to set the mesh, & you should be fine.
    Okay, thank you. I agree... I like the idea of plastic because it would work like a fuse. I just don't want to be replacing fuses every time I run it. (even if they're cheap,quick and easy)

I will run the plastic gear and see how long it lasts, I too assumed the truck was too heavy and powerful for plastic gears. But then again it had plastic in it from day one. I thought the slipper clutch is what kept that plastic gear alive, but perhaps the cush drive will do the same job?

The pins are in it now and it did seem too tight. I will remove them and adjust it myself.
    Thanks again for the advice.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluelightning2 View Post
    Don’t know why you would want to use plastic on such a high powered truck
    Yep.....+1
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Yep.....+1
    For the exact reason stated. Plastic is durable and cheap. There is no need for a metal spur....And they are noisier.

RC Qualifier
    I don’t know about durable... he stated he would rather change 5 plastic gears than run metal. Why?

The 8s XMAXX drivetrain takes insane amount of punishement easily with huge upgraded motors all day long. You don’t need to use a plastic gear as a “fuse”.

RC Racer
    Quick question guys.

On my 6s, I have currently 15/54

I ordered the 18T , 6491X but it does not fit on my xmaxx, it looks like the tooth are longer than the 15T I have. In fact, the diameter is not the same... I took the wrong part ?

RC Qualifier
    That’s the rite gear
    fabricator

I use the plastic spur gear because "if" it fails, it's much cheaper to replace. As I said, I've yet to have to replace the plastic one. I had the metal one in there for one run... I took it out, because the plastic one is much quieter.
    V1 6s w/8s conversion
    Max5 Leopard 1090kv

RC Qualifier
    If it fails it’s cheaper to replace. $3 for plastic or $16 for metal. $1000 rc truck but split hairs over $13 haha.

I have a few friends that tried plastic and it didn’t hold up. But we bash pretty hard. The quieter part is nice for sure. But that doesn’t bother me.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by zeflex View Post
    Quick question guys.

On my 6s, I have currently 15/54

I ordered the 18T , 6491X but it does not fit on my xmaxx, it looks like the tooth are longer than the 15T I have. In fact, the diameter is not the same... I took the wrong part ?
    Sorry I miss to remove the motor before ...

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Wow. Didnt think the plastic spur would hold up to 8s. Glad to hear it does so well for you magnus 8)
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Wow. Didnt think the plastic spur would hold up to 8s. Glad to hear it does so well for you magnus 8)
    If you like to giver hard it doesn’t. All in what you like to do with your xmaxx.