Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2

    3s ESC Speed Control

    I have a Traxxas stampede 4x4 vxl Brushless... the ESC, started smoking and quit working. I was wondering what you would go with as a replacement? Go back with a 3s or upgrade to another one? any suggestions would be great!!

  2. #2
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    34
    Mamba monster and either a 2650kv or 2200kv motor seems to be the popular choices. If your keeping the factory motor for now I believe Iím using the sidewinder esc from castle for my wifeís that has the factory motor still. If not I prefer the first two choices, I actually prefer mine that has the mm and 2650kv motor personally but I still love ripping on my mm/2200kv setup as well.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2xmaxx 1340kv 4 sl4shes 2650/2200kv 1 ERBE

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,360
    In my pede I'm using a hobbywing 120 amp esc and a GoolRC 2600kv motor. It's a 550 can so it drops right in

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier Bige4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    427
    I can agree... the hobbywing 120a esc(wp-sc8) and the goolrc 2600kv 3660-550 motor is a shoe in as a great replacement, it will drop right in w/o modifying the chassis, its crazy on a 3s lipo and completely stupified using a 4s lipo.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

  5. #5
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2
    is there any videos out there, showing how to put them in? that motor looks a lot smaller than the one that's in there now. we have a 3s lipo, haven't gone to the 4 yet.

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,360
    It's a 550 can as opposed to the 540 can. So it's just a hair larger. It goes in the exact way the stock motor does.

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier Bige4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    427
    The brushless goolrc 2600kv motor will drop in just fine along the brushless hw 120a wp-sc8 esc.

    Bashing along @ 30mph...

  8. #8
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    3
    Do you need the 150a version of that ESC to run 4s?

  9. #9
    RC Champion lektro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Virginia Beach/ South USA !
    Posts
    1,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Bige4u View Post
    I can agree... the hobbywing 120a esc(wp-sc8) and the goolrc 2600kv 3660-550 motor is a shoe in as a great replacement, it will drop right in w/o modifying the chassis, its crazy on a 3s lipo and completely stupified using a 4s lipo.
    Here's your answer!
    Choose Life !!!

  10. #10
    RC Champion Dcuda69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,972
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight295 View Post
    Do you need the 150a version of that ESC to run 4s?
    I run a HW WP SC8(120 amp) in my Slash 4x4. It has powered a 2400kv, a 2700kv and currently a 2150kv 1/8th scale motor. I have ran all of them on 3s and 4s. The esc has never even flinched. It may not have all the fancy options the newer sensored stuff does but bang for the buck it's hard to beat.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

  11. #11
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Bolivar Missouri
    Posts
    3
    New guy here! Stampede VXL 4x4. Few questions. I ordered the Goolrc motor you guys recommended will be waiting on that a while, and looking at the HW SC8s. Wondering if I should get the programming card with it or not, if it does anything? Just a ten dollar difference. Will I also need a Traxxas battery connecter for the esc? All my lipo and regular batteries are Traxxas. Will the HW SC8 work with the Traxxas VXL motors? Will still use stock motors if I can get more life out of them. My Stampede and Bandit do the same thing and they are getting worse, ESC goes slow red and have to reset it to get it to work again, cold makes it worse. I just want to be able to run my cars without having to stop and mess with them constantly. If this setup works in my Stampede will also be looking to upgrade my Bandit.

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy T. View Post
    New guy here! Stampede VXL 4x4. Few questions. I ordered the Goolrc motor you guys recommended will be waiting on that a while, and looking at the HW SC8s. Wondering if I should get the programming card with it or not, if it does anything? Just a ten dollar difference. Will I also need a Traxxas battery connecter for the esc? All my lipo and regular batteries are Traxxas. Will the HW SC8 work with the Traxxas VXL motors? Will still use stock motors if I can get more life out of them. My Stampede and Bandit do the same thing and they are getting worse, ESC goes slow red and have to reset it to get it to work again, cold makes it worse. I just want to be able to run my cars without having to stop and mess with them constantly. If this setup works in my Stampede will also be looking to upgrade my Bandit.
    Get the card with the esc. It's well worth it. You'll love that combo. It's head and shoulders above the VXL esc.

  13. #13
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Bolivar Missouri
    Posts
    3
    Great!Thank you! I tried a 3rd traxxas esc last night same exact problem and it seems my batteries may be the problem, but I will still be getting another esc to try it out. I have 4 almost new Traxxas ID Lipos, guess they are all bad, but I have to get an adapter to check the voltage. I bought 2 new(puffed already) and 2 used. Bummer.

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy T. View Post
    Great!Thank you! I tried a 3rd traxxas esc last night same exact problem and it seems my batteries may be the problem, but I will still be getting another esc to try it out. I have 4 almost new Traxxas ID Lipos, guess they are all bad, but I have to get an adapter to check the voltage. I bought 2 new(puffed already) and 2 used. Bummer.
    I've yet to hear of anyone who really says Traxxas batteries are nice

  15. #15
    RC Champion lektro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Virginia Beach/ South USA !
    Posts
    1,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I've yet to hear of anyone who really says Traxxas batteries are nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy T. View Post
    Great!Thank you! I tried a 3rd traxxas esc last night same exact problem and it seems my batteries may be the problem, but I will still be getting another esc to try it out. I have 4 almost new Traxxas ID Lipos, guess they are all bad, but I have to get an adapter to check the voltage. I bought 2 new(puffed already) and 2 used. Bummer.
    Hi Randi T. Just out of respect. You should have started your own thread. Not being disrespectful to you, but maybe you are taking attention away from the gentleman that started this thread with his own questions. Please don't take this personal. Friend's of the hobby we all are. We are all guilty of this at least once..............


    So far I love my Traxxas batteries. Reason being it's all i have and seem's they will never die.......
    Last edited by lektro; 01-18-2018 at 03:38 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. jvogel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Posts
    3,144
    I am a Traxxas fanboy but I really love SMC batteries. In my research, I've found that SMC LiPos seem to be the best value currently.
    Obstacle Magnet

  17. #17
    RC Champion Dcuda69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,972
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I've yet to hear of anyone who really says Traxxas batteries are nice
    Is this since the iD crap was introduced? Reason I ask....I got 2 2s Traxxas(non iD)packs included with my Slash Ultimate when I bought it new about 3 yrs ago. While I have upgraded the Slash to 3s power, I still use the 2s packs in my Rustler and GT. I occasionally series them together for 4s in my Slash. They have been flawless. They balance perfect,they have decent run times,they don't seem to get hot,etc. Did something besides the plug change when they did the iD switch? I have heard plenty of complaints since the switch it seems and not just on this site. Something with the iD chargers?

    At this point I'd never pay the Traxxas price for a pack(I'm an SMC fan as well) Just curious as to why the issues with their packs?
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

  18. #18
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Is this since the iD crap was introduced? Reason I ask....I got 2 2s Traxxas(non iD)packs included with my Slash Ultimate when I bought it new about 3 yrs ago. While I have upgraded the Slash to 3s power, I still use the 2s packs in my Rustler and GT. I occasionally series them together for 4s in my Slash. They have been flawless. They balance perfect,they have decent run times,they don't seem to get hot,etc. Did something besides the plug change when they did the iD switch? I have heard plenty of complaints since the switch it seems and not just on this site. Something with the iD chargers?

    At this point I'd never pay the Traxxas price for a pack(I'm an SMC fan as well) Just curious as to why the issues with their packs?
    My opinion is complete heresay. Everyone I hear from says they puff, and I know they're overpriced

  19. #19
    RC Champion lektro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Virginia Beach/ South USA !
    Posts
    1,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Is this since the iD crap was introduced? Reason I ask....I got 2 2s Traxxas(non iD)packs included with my Slash Ultimate when I bought it new about 3 yrs ago. While I have upgraded the Slash to 3s power, I still use the 2s packs in my Rustler and GT. I occasionally series them together for 4s in my Slash. They have been flawless. They balance perfect,they have decent run times,they don't seem to get hot,etc. Did something besides the plug change when they did the iD switch? I have heard plenty of complaints since the switch it seems and not just on this site. Something with the iD chargers?

    At this point I'd never pay the Traxxas price for a pack(I'm an SMC fan as well) Just curious as to why the issues with their packs?
    well I have like 7 ranging from 2s to 4s and have had no problems with the batteries or the ID plus charger. I do have a backup though. Plus, if I ever use up the IDs. SMC will be my choice. better variety in all aspects of a battery.... It seems most people are having problems with the ID plus more than anything.

    I remember rag6 saying he had to send his in to Traxxas to get an update . he ended up selling it i think. I bought his 4s batteries. Speaking of him. Have not seen him around lately.
    Last edited by lektro; 01-18-2018 at 08:13 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

  20. #20
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Bolivar Missouri
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    Hi Randi T. Just out of respect. You should have started your own thread. Not being disrespectful to you, but maybe you are taking attention away from the gentleman that started this thread with his own questions. Please don't take this personal. Friend's of the hobby we all are. We are all guilty of this at least once..............


    So far I love my Traxxas batteries. Reason being it's all i have and seem's they will never die.......
    It's Randy T.. My second post you quoted was not a question, it was a statement. I would delete it but I don't see that option. But I may start a new thread anyways because I have more questions. IMO the first questions I asked pertains to and could help out the OP. But thanks anyways.

  21. #21
    RC Champion lektro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Virginia Beach/ South USA !
    Posts
    1,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy T. View Post
    It's Randy T.. My second post you quoted was not a question, it was a statement. I would delete it but I don't see that option. But I may start a new thread anyways because I have more questions. IMO the first questions I asked pertains to and could help out the OP. But thanks anyways.
    I agree with you Randy T. I noticed that but who knows maybe he doesn't need those answers.... Not a big deal sir, just etiquette. For future reference....... Like I said, I am guilty of it and got the same response from another member.. No harm no foul......I am just paying someone back and you happened to be a candidate......Just kidding!!!!!!!!! luv ya Bro RCer!!!!!!
    Last edited by lektro; 01-19-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

  22. #22
    RC Qualifier JatoTheRipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    826
    It's really nice to see people on this thread thinking and buying outside of the box instead of mindlessly regurgitating "Castle". The old Castle ESCs were way behind the times. The new X series is the best brushless crawling ESC on the market. For bashing I still prefer HobbyWing.

  23. #23
    RC Champion Dcuda69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,972
    Quote Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
    It's really nice to see people on this thread thinking and buying outside of the box instead of mindlessly regurgitating "Castle". The old Castle ESCs were way behind the times. The new X series is the best brushless crawling ESC on the market. For bashing I still prefer HobbyWing.
    I'm really glad I'm not the only one that thinks that way. Normally when the question gets asked around here it's"put a Castle MMX/2200kv in it and go" Nothing wrong with the Castle(obviously)but there are other options...Hobbywing is one. Ask the same question on another board and you'll likely be recommended Hobbywing 1st
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

  24. #24
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    244
    I have used castle hobbywing and traxxas. I like my castle the most, I mean it is an 8th scale in a slash4x4 with 6s lol where can you go wrong there lol. Hobbywing was great, the esc did overheat under higher gearing. (23/50). Traxxas is by far the worst brushless system ever. They shouldn't rate it for 3s more like 2s. The motor died in a month and it was brand new!!!! I think that you should either go with a hobbywing or castle. If you choose hobbywing it will slide in without having to move the radio receiver. Just make sure you get at least a 100amp esc or the servo will shut off due to the lack of power to it. Or you can get a castle sidewinder 8 2200. It's a great system for a great price. I got mine brand new on eBay for 140. 6s on that is insane, almost scary. If your down for making a few minor modifications to he chassis it will be a great system.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •