RC Enthusiast

Exclamation Slash 4x4 vxl motor upgrade

I have a non low g chassis slash 4x4 vxl. Looking for a motor upgrade to run at least 3s but also affordable. I would prefer it to just bolt up to existing holes on the chassis, but haven't found any that can do that yet. Im even fine with keeping the same esc with a motor that has a lot of torque and power and dosent run hot on 3s. Basically for thrashing but also racing on the side. Suggestions for a motor or motor esc combo?

RC Qualifier
    A little confused. Is the VXL motor you have bad? Or just looking for an upgrade? The VXL is capable of running 3s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by chopperguy View Post
    A little confused. Is the VXL motor you have bad? Or just looking for an upgrade? The VXL is capable of running 3s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have heard the vxl-3 runs really hot on 3s and you should get a different system, but the main reason i am upgrading is because my velineon is toast. I bought the rebuilt kit and that didn't end up helping at all. My esc still works as far as I know.

RC Enthusiast
    The esc does work.

RC Racer
    go to hobbywing and check out what they have to offer-I would get something from 2200kv to 2600 kv and 36 or 40 can size will fit

If you are looking for a complete replacement motor system, I have to recommend the El Sob sensored motor system or the original El Sob special motor system! Either one will be a huge improvement over the stock motor system
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks I will check out both of those and maybe go to a hobby shop or two in the next couple days. Ill let you know how I turn out.

RC Enthusiast
    Is this the el sob special motor? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Crea...4AAOSwvD5Z6Q1e
    And what is a good option for a waterproof from the factory esc to be able to run up to 4s? Looking for under 200$ for the esc and motor combo. Also it is preferred to not have to move the receiver box.

RC Enthusiast
    I ended getting a 3800kv motor (sensored) but a sensorless sidewinder esc, but the velineon esc is sensored. Should I use the vxl esc instead of the sidewinder?

RC Enthusiast
    UPDATE: I put in the sidewinder and the new motor, and Ho Lee Schieet this thing rips. I have 15/52 gearing and stock stampede tires. I'm only running a 2s, it is just about the best 2s you can get, but it is a 2s, and it loves to pick up the front end and leave a 10 foot rooster tail. I only spend 109.99 on this motor esc combo at a local hobby shop. Definitely recommend. Castle sensored 14 series 3800kv motor, Castle sidewinder sct 1:10 scale waterproof esc. Came in a sleeve with a box for the motor and a separate box for the esc. Venom 5000mah 2s lipo: 54.99.

Glad you're having fun with your new setup!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

The 1410 series 3800kv motor is a great little powerhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderwolf7478 View Post
    Is this the el sob special motor? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Crea...4AAOSwvD5Z6Q1e
    And what is a good option for a waterproof from the factory esc to be able to run up to 4s? Looking for under 200$ for the esc and motor combo. Also it is preferred to not have to move the receiver box.
    That is the El Sob special motor. I have been running those motors for years! I recommend the 5mm shafts. I see,you bought the sidewinder 3800 motor system. If you ever decide to get a better esc, the Mamba X is sensored and can take up to a 6s lipo!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    That is the El Sob special motor. I have been running those motors for years! I recommend the 5mm shafts. I see,you bought the sidewinder 3800 motor system. If you ever decide to get a better esc, the Mamba X is sensored and can take up to a 6s lipo!
    I was thinking about that I really want to do that for another build sometime.