RC Competitor

Gear Mesh (Oy Vey)

Today, I have installed the 46t "speed gear" that comes in the box for my X-Maxx. The installation of it went pretty well, however, I can't seem to set the correct gear mesh. First, one of the guide pins is stuck in one of the holes, and the pinion can't really line up that well with the Spur. Any tips? (FYI: I have heard numerous complaints about the gear mesh system).

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluelightning2 View Post
    Use pliers to pull the pin out. Ditch the pin system and set the gear mesh the old fashion way with a piece of paper. Your gears will thank you later.
    Will the motor be loose without the pins? Also, would the 46t spur gear not be good for general driving?

RC Qualifier
    Only a possibility of motor movement without using pins
    A 19t pinion using the 18t pin hole gives a usable mesh
    No problem running up to 22t in cooler weather
    A 20t / 46t can be used all year
    Last edited by CrazyXMAXX; 12-09-2017 at 07:37 PM.
    fabricator

RC Qualifier
    The motor doesn't move because of the 4 screws below, not the pins. It's a little tricky to get the motor to hold tight while screwing in from underneath unless you have an extra hand to help, but it's definitely doable, just takes a bit more patience.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by AGHolman View Post
    The motor doesn't move because of the 4 screws below, not the pins. It's a little tricky to get the motor to hold tight while screwing in from underneath unless you have an extra hand to help, but it's definitely doable, just takes a bit more patience.
    Thanks for that. Just one more question. Would it be advisable/ good to use the 46t speed gear on any terrain? I have heard that the X-Maxx is under geared. However, I called traxxas support and they said its for flat surfaces only. (P.S.- I will run it with the 18t pinion)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by feverdog11 View Post
    Thanks for that. Just one more question. Would it be advisable/ good to use the 46t speed gear on any terrain? I have heard that the X-Maxx is under geared. However, I called traxxas support and they said its for flat surfaces only. (P.S.- I will run it with the 18t pinion)
    Itís harder on things in general to run taller gearing. Itís not as torquey with the 54, but the 46 is fine as long as you are mindful of heat and your gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maxx 8S