RC Enthusiast

Question Slash 4x4 oversize tires

So I have a slash 4x4 with a 3800kv castle creations motor and a sidewinder esc. I have stock stampede tires on it now, and want new tires for it. The same size as the stampede ones would be perfect, but a softer compound that has good tread and can handle a motor that balloons tires and pulls the slash front end up. Recommendations?

Just about anything 2.8 will do, take a look at Badlands, Trenchers and Mashers from Proline.

You will need to gear down when running those tires, the motor will heat up a lot.

Also, "good tread" is subjective. The tires I mentioned above have good tread for most surfaces, but it being softer will get worn down quicker than stock tires will.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Also do not buy them pre-mounted.

Take the time and tape them up (Gorilla tape) and glue them yourself.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Also do not buy them pre-mounted.

Take the time and tape them up (Gorilla tape) and glue them yourself.
    ^ This.
    I bought premounted and man do they ballon. I'm going to strap mine. Would've been a lot easier just to tape them and then fit them.

RC Enthusiast
    I ended up ordering these
    Traxxas Stampede 4x4 XL-5 4 * 4 MAXX 2.8" TIRES & ALL STAR CHROME WHEELS * 12mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JF6VMCE..._asmlAbS6QW6A1

RC Enthusiast
    I am running a 15/52 currently it rips and wheelies like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderwolf7478 View Post
    Traxxas Stampede 4x4 XL-5 4 * 4 MAXX 2.8" TIRES & ALL STAR CHROME WHEELS * 12mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JF6VMCE..._asmlAbS6QW6A1

Hey Thunderwolf,

I think you've picked a nice wheel and tire there but the advice from Squeegie would be very wise to heed. I used to buy pre-glued myself but once I experienced how bad they (most tires) ballooned with any real power, I took the time (total PITA!) to remove the tires from the wheels and did them the right way. The difference is night & day and it's totally worth it. It's not hard to glue them yourself. After you do a couple you'll probably never want a pre-glued set again! It's a cheap, easy mod that you're just about guaranteed to see positive results from. I will say that this particular style of tire usually does not balloon as bad as certain others and they may do you right with 2-3S power. One more thing to mention. When you run those heavy tires with a Castle setup, the 12mm hex can sometimes be an issue. I chewed-up a few before going to 17mm and have never had a problem since... even on 6S bashing. A move to 17mm may be a good idea at some point. Good luck with them and show us some pics!

-Shack
    Last edited by shack351; 12-10-2017 at 01:06 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    it really depends on the pre-mounts... a lot of the newer tires are designed to not balloon.....

also, I apparently can't glue my own tires to save my life, i never can get my beads seated properly and end up with a $70 set of wobbly junk....

as for the sidewinder, I would really look into a better esc for the slash, the slash is very heavy... even the mmp, which is 6s rated, is really not up to the task of handling a slash 4x4 on anyhting other than a stock vehicle..... ask me how I know.... and this was on 2s

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    Hey Thunderwolf,

I think you've picked a nice wheel and tire there but the advice from Squeegie would be very wise to heed. I used to buy pre-glued myself but once I experienced how bad they (most tires) ballooned with any real power, I took the time (total PITA!) to remove the tires from the wheels and did them the right way. The difference is night & day and it's totally worth it. It's not hard to glue them yourself. After you do a couple you'll probably never want a pre-glued set again! It's a cheap, easy mod that you're just about guaranteed to see positive results from. I will say that this particular style of tire usually does not balloon as bad as certain others and they may do you right with 2-3S power. One more thing to mention. When you run those heavy tires with a Castle setup, the 12mm hex can sometimes be an issue. I chewed-up a few before going to 17mm and have never had a problem since... even on 6S bashing. A move to 17mm may be a good idea at some point. Good luck with them and show us some pics!

-Shack

As soon as everything comes in and I figure out how to post a picture I will. I will also look into the 17mm hubs thanks.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok so when I went to the hobby shop and looked at all the options they had, the guy went into a hour long rant that I personally enjoyed, and we went through a ton of options for gearing motors and escs. I ended up with this with his recommendation and another guy that was in the shop. He took out a scale and my truck weighed about 6 pounds. The limit for that motor and esc is 6.5 pounds on 2s or 4 pounds on 2s/3s. That is why I'm running 2s and not 3, and it was a 30$ cheaper setup than the velineon so at that point it was a no brainer. I do plan to upgrade but for now this will definitely do. I will look at new escs though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderwolf7478 View Post
    Nice tires, only "bad" thing is that they are very loud on the street. They really don't balloon much, the tread seems to last forever, and they have great grip in the mud and/or snow.

Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    One more thing to mention. When you run those heavy tires with a Castle setup, the 12mm hex can sometimes be an issue. I chewed-up a few before going to 17mm and have never had a problem since... even on 6S bashing. A move to 17mm may be a good idea at some point. Good luck with them and show us some pics!
    Only problem moving to 17mm hexes is that it totally changes the kind of wheels/tires that you can use, including obviously not being able to use any of the 12mm hex wheels actually made for the Stampede or Slash. After I stripped a few stock 12mm hexes, I moved to using STRC aluminum hexes. That was about 5 years ago and I've never stripped another hex ever since, and I can still use any of the great collection of 12mm hex wheels out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    even the mmp, which is 6s rated, is really not up to the task of handling a slash 4x4 on anyhting other than a stock vehicle..... ask me how I know.... and this was on 2s
    That is somewhat surprising. I'm running a Slash 4x4 with 2.8" Trencher tires, using a MMP and a 2400kv 1415 motor. I run on 3s or 4s geared 17/54. The MMP did overheat twice on 100F+ degree summer days when I was tearing up and down big hills. Right now in the winter though I can't make it overheat even if I try. My Slash 4x4 started life as a Stampede 4x4 though, before I switched to the longer Slash chassis. I think the gear ratios in the differentials are different between the Slash 4x4 and Stampede 4x4 so maybe that helps me with running 2.8" Stampede tires/wheels.

My 2nd setup, a Stampede 4x4, runs the same Sidewinder / 3800kv 1410 setup as the OP. I have never had an issue with that either, in this case even on the hot days of summer (2s only). But of course the Stampede is shorter and lighter, and different differential gear ratios might come into play in this case also.

I don't know what the actual gear ratios are for the differentials in the Slash 4x4 and Stampede 4x4, or where they are listed, but assuming that they are in-fact different, then swapping out for Stampede 4x4 differentials might be helpful when it comes to running bigger tires. You can get them pretty cheap on eBay.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    Nice tires, only "bad" thing is that they are very loud on the street. They really don't balloon much, the tread seems to last forever, and they have great grip in the mud and/or snow.

Only problem moving to 17mm hexes is that it totally changes the kind of wheels/tires that you can use, including obviously not being able to use any of the 12mm hex wheels actually made for the Stampede or Slash. After I stripped a few stock 12mm hexes, I moved to using STRC aluminum hexes. That was about 5 years ago and I've never stripped another hex ever since, and I can still use any of the great collection of 12mm hex wheels out there.

That is somewhat surprising. I'm running a Slash 4x4 with 2.8" Trencher tires, using a MMP and a 2400kv 1415 motor. I run on 3s or 4s geared 17/54. The MMP did overheat twice on 100F+ degree summer days when I was tearing up and down big hills. Right now in the winter though I can't make it overheat even if I try. My Slash 4x4 started life as a Stampede 4x4 though, before I switched to the longer Slash chassis. I think the gear ratios in the differentials are different between the Slash 4x4 and Stampede 4x4 so maybe that helps me with running 2.8" Stampede tires/wheels.

My 2nd setup, a Stampede 4x4, runs the same Sidewinder / 3800kv 1410 setup as the OP. I have never had an issue with that either, in this case even on the hot days of summer (2s only). But of course the Stampede is shorter and lighter, and different differential gear ratios might come into play in this case also.

I don't know what the actual gear ratios are for the differentials in the Slash 4x4 and Stampede 4x4, or where they are listed, but assuming that they are in-fact different, then swapping out for Stampede 4x4 differentials might be helpful when it comes to running bigger tires. You can get them pretty cheap on eBay.
    Thanks I actually just ordered the blue titanium hexes of of amazon for about 10$.

Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post

I have had a similar experience with the Mamba Max Pro esc. I have been running them for several years and I have personally never overheated one. I think jimbo74 must have gotten a bad one.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    So far I love this esc.