Where to go from here??

Hi all, as some of you know I have a slash 4x4 with the following upgrades.

Hobbywing SC8 and Castle 2200KV
    MIP X-Duty front and rear
    E-Revo front and rear diff upgrade
    Yeah racing motor mount
    Traxxas upgraded motor plate
    Tekno big bone center drive shaft
    Aluminium front and rear bearing carriers
    2.8 Badlands.

So aside from LCG, 17mm hex conversion and 1/8 shocks I have basically done all the mods you can/should realistically do.

I find it doesn't jump flat and nearly always rolls over hard cornering.

I Have great fun driving it so don't take this as I dislike it.

Now the LCG conversion on it's own is about ~$120AUD + I'll need the aluminium motor mount and motor plate which is a other ~$60 (or more depending on motor mount cost) so I'm already at almost $200 there.

I'm beginning to strip the wheel hexs so upgrading to 17mm hex is pretty much mandatory at this stage so that's another $30 for the conversion and $50 (for crappy) to $100 (prolines) new wheels and tires.

The big queation.. And be subjective (I know this is a traxxas forum).. but honestly... is this worth It?? To throw another $300odd (minimum) at the 4x4?? Will it actually perform better as a true basher? I still need new shocks as the big bores I'm running need so much preload to take the weight of all my mods.

I have been looking at a bushmaster which is 1/8, driveline is pretty much bulletproof for this motor/ESC on 4s.. And I can get a roller for $350 delivered. Then all I need to do is move my electronics over.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

while this is a traxxas forums and there is probably a bias i think that traxxas trucks are always going to be more expensive then others, but with the extra money you pay you get the best parts support of all brands
    cool ain't cheap -Dan Dreger

How much would a Slash 4x4 roller be? You know we are all going to want you to stay with Traxxas products. As for springs, you can experiment with stretching them to get your desired performance. I've done it for years
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Sway bars?
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

I guess my thing is to throw another $300 at the slash still won't be as good as a true 1/8 rc when I could spend that 3p0 on a new platform and sell the slash and use that money to male it even better.

I can only have 1 car (deal I made with my wife with our single income with a mortgauge) so I need to make sure I'm not wasting said money.

Can't edit.
    Meant to say "if I throw another $300 at the slash will it be as good as a true 1/8 chassis."

Last edited by cooleocool; 12-11-2017 at 05:05 PM. Reason: merge

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    How much would a Slash 4x4 roller be? You know we are all going to want you to stay with Traxxas products. As for springs, you can experiment with stretching them to get your desired performance. I've done it for years
    In australia.. a 4x4 roller costs about $400AU.. maybe a little less without wheels.

I don't want to leave traxxas, I love the slash and will always keep my 2wd.

I use the 2wd for the local races (when they are actually on) so it mostly sits unused.
    The 4x4 is just for when I'm on my own at the park which has a BMX track, but lately I see people there with 1/8 truggies/MTs and they just seem so much more stable etc. and while I'm way faster they take the jumps heaps better.. They jump flatter and land smoother.

I suppose the LCG will help the flat jumping part a 1000% (my 2wd is LCG and it jumps HEAPS better) so I guess if I upgrade to the LCG it should sort that out.

When I add up how much I spent I'm wondering if it was worth it :-/

Used 4x4 $350
    MIP x-duty $120
    Tekno drive shaft $35
    E-Revo diffs $60
    Aluminium hubs $40
    Castle 2200kv $98 (used)
    Los springs $10

I don't add wheels and batteries as they are a consumable.

RC Qualifier
    Sway bar kit (which is cheap) was possibly the best mod I had done. Keeps the car flat in the corners and acts like a second helper spring. Only mod I liked better was going to GTR shocks with VG Racing springs (shop out of California). I have been very happy with them.

-Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    Sway bar kit (which is cheap) was possibly the best mod I had done. Keeps the car flat in the corners and acts like a second helper spring. Only mod I liked better was going to GTR shocks with VG Racing springs (shop out of California). I have been very happy with them.

-Liberty
    Im thinking new shocks and LCG are the next upgrades needed.

Big bores just don't seem beefy enough to support the weight of all the upgrades I have.

I have blue Losi springs which I think is the second stiffest springs and I still have to run 2 large preload spacers on the front and 2L 1M on the rear and is still sags.

I'd be looking at almost $200 for the hpi (d8?) shocks that pwople seem to love.

GTRs seem good also, but are they all aluminium?

Ok, so today I swapped out the stock blue traxxas servo for my savox servo that was in the 2wd and that has brought new life to the 4x4.. handles way better because the steering is now fast and holds corbers well... I believe the old traxxas servo that came with it has seen better days.

I really want a cage type body for it (yeti etc.) But due to the costs of them it will likely never happen.

I'll throw more money at the slash.. because at the end of the day it's a strong platform and is pretty reliable.

Bring on 6s?

Quote Originally Posted by spunkybob View Post
    In australia.. a 4x4 roller costs about $400AU.. maybe a little less without wheels.

I don't want to leave traxxas, I love the slash and will always keep my 2wd.

I use the 2wd for the local races (when they are actually on) so it mostly sits unused.
    The 4x4 is just for when I'm on my own at the park which has a BMX track, but lately I see people there with 1/8 truggies/MTs and they just seem so much more stable etc. and while I'm way faster they take the jumps heaps better.. They jump flatter and land smoother.

I suppose the LCG will help the flat jumping part a 1000% (my 2wd is LCG and it jumps HEAPS better) so I guess if I upgrade to the LCG it should sort that out.

When I add up how much I spent I'm wondering if it was worth it :-/

Used 4x4 $350
    MIP x-duty $120
    Tekno drive shaft $35
    E-Revo diffs $60
    Aluminium hubs $40
    Castle 2200kv $98 (used)
    Los springs $10

I don't add wheels and batteries as they are a consumable.

Would it be worth your time to get a Platinum LCG roller, put all of the compatible parts on it. Then you could sell the HCG roller and get some of your money back?
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Decisions, decisions, decisions!!! That's part of the fun for me! As you may know, I have thrown a considerable amount of coin at my Slashes. Some things have been trial and error but I always try to do my homework and purchase "upgrades" that I believe are going to improve the way the truck looks or performs. From what I have read above, you have spent some time trying to determine the best path for your RC needs/desires. Like most of us say, the LCG conversion should probably be at the top of the list. I have only driven friends HCGs and if that was the best I could get, I very well may have chosen a different platform myself. I could cut a piece of plywood and bolt a motor and tires on and feel like I have the same thing. No thanks.

On to your parts.

The LCG kit is sold for $45 all over the place here which would translate to about $60AUD. You mentioned $120AUD above for the kit "on it's own"... what am I missing? Why so much? And you would not have to buy the aluminum motor mount right away. Use the plastic one included until you've got some more cheese. My son still has the original plastic piece on his CC 2650/MMX powered Slash and I see absolutely ZERO signs of wear (since I'm the maintenance man). The bearing is still tight in its bore, although I did replace the stock unit with a ceramic version.

Like Squeegie and Liberty both said, add the sway-bar kit... it's cheap and does make a difference. I have driven mine without just to see what it's like and sloppy is all I can say. Not terrible, but when you are used to it being there, it feels sloppy without it.

I love my GTRs and think they are a good shock. They're gonna set you back some coin but I have not had problem one out of the 16 that I own. When something just works, and works well, I tend to stick with it.

After I went from the Velineon system to my CC2200/MMX, I began to shred 12mm hex wheels. Like you mentioned above, $30 for the 12-to-17mm kit and some new wheels will fix that with the quickness. I bought several sets of ProLine 275503 F-11 2.8s ($16/pair), removed the tires from the old wheels and re-glued them. Been using (and definitely ABUSING!) them for about six months and no complaints. About $60 spent and I had the problem resolved.

"Bring on 6S?"... Unless you want to really start breaking things, I would avoid it! And this is coming from someone that is a performance fiend! Besides the fact that you would need another ESC to run it with your 2200, it is truly the definition of overkill (for a basher, that is)! If you have a place to run it that is obstacle-free, I will be the first to admit that it can be fun. I went over a speed-bump sized "jump" and cartwheeled for 100ft or so. You can get going so fast, so quick, sheet happens!

Anyway, I hope that you give the LCG chassis a chance. I honestly believe you would be much happier with your rig and how it performs.

Good luck!

-Shack

Haha the 6s comment was not serious.

I have been looking today and the cheapest conversion kit I can find in Australia is $99, anything from the states with postage is not much less so it's gonna be a hundred $$ upgrade for me.

For the shocks.. is it 7461x and 7462x for the aluminium GTR shocks? (+springs)

In regards to the platinum roller, doesn't really exist here. Would have to buy from America and it would be around $500 delivered anyways.