Thread: T Maxx

RC Enthusiast

T Maxx

I came across a T Maxx for sale, guys was asking 100 bucks for it, not sure what it all comes with yet other than he said it has no power and loss of speed on it. Would this be a good deal to buy and fix. I am new to the rc world and the nitro world. any help or guidance will be helpful. Thanks.

RC Enthusiast
    Do you have any images? Do you know the model number or engine size?

RC Racer
    $100 is not a bad deal, but definitely find out if its a 2.5 or 3.3 version, pictures will definitely help.

RC Enthusiast
    How do i post pictures on here?

RC Racer
    sign up to a picture hosting websight, like flickr then upload pictures there and post the links

Since you are new to RC as well as nitro and you may buy used there are two ways about this:

Prepare to be frustrated beyond belief and give up RC altogether. Many others have.

Or

Be prepared. Figure out what model T-Maxx it is, download the manual(s) and exploded views through the Support button above, read up on how to run a nitro. If you are good with your hands and have a baseline mechanical knowledge then this would be a good way in.

If you go the route of buying $100 is decent. Figure you'd need a new engine (~$100), fuel (~$25/gallon), batteries & charger (~$25) and other replacement parts so you may be in around $275-300 to get it up and running. See if he/she will budge on the price down to $75.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    I was hoping to get it for 50. I'm waiting for him to get back with me to see what it all comes with.
    Last edited by Double G; 12-13-2017 at 04:04 PM. Reason: duplicate

RC Racer
    Yea Nitro is very frustrating when you first get into RC, I would recommend looking up plenty of tuning videos for the engine and like @Double G said, download and print all the exploded views, they will help immensely. Your probably going to need a new engine, but before ordering one, dissemble yours and check compression, plenty of threads to read about that, and check if the engine is corroded. I also like to use a glow plug igniter and a pull start, they are lighter and I think easier to use, but the EZ start is more convent for plug and play, but uses another battery.

I always do this when I get new RC's, I fully disassemble them and soak all the plastic parts in a soapy water bath, check all the bolts and screws for rust-being stripped, clean all the metal parts, and just look for any hidden damage, its better to spend a couple more days finding the problems and ending up with a clean rig then driving it and something breaking leaving a sour taste in your mouth. It also helps you understand how your vehicle works and all the ins and outs.

If you can get it for $50 that's a great deal, I would not go any higher then $90 though.

RC Enthusiast
    It is the 2.5 the guy said. Just waiting to hear what all he has to go with it. It comes with a controller and starter. Would this be worth picking up, i don't mind working on stuff and learning new things.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stemy; 12-13-2017 at 07:27 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Stemy View Post
    It is the 2.5 the guy said. Just waiting to hear what all he has to go with it. It comes with a controller and starter. Would this be worth picking up, i don't mind working on stuff and learning new things.

I would pick it up, looks fairly well taken care of, you do need a new air filter though.

RC Enthusiast
    100 bucks is not bad for a truck like that. I would do it. When you buy it, di a diagnosis of any issues there may be and look into the necessary parts. You may be able to get it up and running as is. If not, the T-Maxx is a great set up to learn how to work on a nitro. Plus, on eBay you can find parts very cheap for the 2.5. Ive seen brand new 2.5 engines for 49.99.

RC Racer
    Yea, the cheapest way to get a new engine, is to go to Ebay and find lumidave35, they sell engines without a carb, starter, or clutch, and since you will already have all of that you won't need to buy anything else.

RC Enthusiast
    What tools will I need to pick up to work on this?

RC Racer
    Metric set of allen wrenches, you can find a set going from 1m and up all in 1 tool at pretty much any hardware store, also you will need an 8mm and a 5.5mm socket, but the English equivalents will work, but will round the corners eventually. MIP sells a great kit but they are expensive, look on amazon for "metric hex driver set" and there are a lot more affordable options. Also locktight would be a handy thing to have, use blue.

RC Enthusiast
    Is the Dynamite Startup Tool Set Traxxas DYN2833 a good set of tools? Also what is a good fuel to get for it? 20% top fuel from traxxas?
    Last edited by Double G; 12-15-2017 at 08:30 AM. Reason: merge, clutter reduction

RC Racer
    Is the Dynamite Startup Tool Set Traxxas DYN2833 a good set of tools? Also what is a good fuel to get for it? 20% top fuel from traxxas?
    They look ok, I find what I use, https://www.amazon.com/Apex-RC-Produ...ts+hex+drivers They are holding up with my constant use + they have aluminum handles, they are a tiny bit uncomfortable, but they will never slip in your hand. I have had mine for a few months, the 2-2.5 mm ones show a tiny bit of wear but that's probably because I used them at an angle when I was not supposed too.
    These are the MIP ones, http://www.miponline.com/store/mip9502.html they are a lot more expensive but when you buy them I'm pretty sure your set for life.
    Top fuel is ok, but it has way too much oil in it, I have heard VP racing power master %20 nitro 9% oil is good, I am going to try it out myself when I break in my newest engine.
    Last edited by BrickitSAM; 12-15-2017 at 08:54 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome, i will have to check out these tools and do some research on fuels.

RC Enthusiast
    If you have a LHS close by, I would take it in after you purchase it and have them do a once-over. Also, I would recommend picking up a brand of fuel your LHS carries. It is a huge pain ordering fuel online. High prices, high shipping, hazmad charges... yuck.
    Last edited by Double G; 12-15-2017 at 03:21 PM. Reason: language

Awesome, i will have to check out these tools and do some research on fuels.
    Post your questions in the appropriate section. This place is a plethora of information. Including what tools, how to tune, products to avoid.

First thing I'd do, pull the glow plug shine a light down inside. Piston top should be a goldish in color. Dark brown/black would mean it has seen high temps which is usually the killer. NOTE: ALWAYS CLEAN THE ENGINE BEFORE REMOVING THE GLOW PLUG!!!! 1 Grain of sand is all it takes to send a nitro engine to it's end.

All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall