RC poster

Is 6 years to old for a slash

Hi All. First post here. I come from the tamiya grasshopper days.

I'm looking at a used slash that is 6 or so years old. All stock. It looks to be in decent shape. What should I be worried about on a slash this old?

Cheers

The bearings, all the gears in the drive terrain, the state of the electronics. Just make sure it runs smooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I ask way to many questions

If your planning on upgrading to brushless then just make sure there are no broken parts in the tranny and you are good to go ;-)

Also bearings.. just replace them all.. only about $20

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Slop in worn a arms, rod ends loose, bearings, motor mount and bearing, pinion and spur, slop in steering assembly and castor bocks and axle slop in the uni joints. Basically everything that moves. If it's a lcg chassis, bent driveshaft and stress cracks on the chassis.
    Would be nice if they let you pull the front and rear clips off for a better look
    7yr. old Slash owner here.

older rc's just give a better excuse... errr reason to upgrade
    but like the others said,make sure to check the tranny and bearings(does the stock slash2wd have bearings?)
    cool ain't cheap -Dan Dreger

RC poster
    Thanks for the responses! Great info!

broitssest - I like the way you think!!

RC poster
    how much is the price? you might be better of buying a new one....

RC poster
    I think they might be asking to much $150. I'm not sure if I want one this old, the controller has a metal telescoping antenna. If I make an offer, I was thinking $100 would be more like it.

Quote Originally Posted by broitsseth View Post
    older rc's just give a better excuse... errr reason to upgrade
    but like the others said,make sure to check the tranny and bearings(does the stock slash2wd have bearings?)
    I am pretty sure it comes with bushings in all the hubs (all wheels). The Transmission has full ball bearings .
    I ask way to many questions

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Are you buying locally( if so, say you need to see it run. It should run for at least 15 min for the battery to be good)? Does it come with batteries and a charger? Is it a Titan 12t motor or vxl motor? For 150$ it needs to be running, have the (blue) vxl motor, and have a battery and charger that works and it needs to be clean. If not don't pay over $100. 2.4g radios are cheap and easy to replace. Heck, I've got 4 or 5 lying around I could send ya one for cost of shipping....

Either way, if it is the age that the seller claims, it's got a solid transmission in it...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC poster
    Thanks rag6

The seller is a Mom selling her son's old car. She doesn't know what she has. From the pic I'm not sure what the speed controler is. Is that a Velineon sticker under the battery connector? . There is a 7 cell nimh battery that I suspect is dead from sitting for so long. I can't see the motor and there isn't a better view.

Thanks for all the responses!
    Last edited by hunkajunk; 12-20-2017 at 01:54 AM.

Well it has 3 wires going to the motor so you know it's brushless so id say it's the original 2pole system (still good)

I can't speak for America, but in Australia 100-150 for a used brushless slash is a darn good price... I paid 250 for a roller.

Heck, the brushless traxxas system alone is around $300 au here.

If all you did was replace all the bearings and upgraded to the LCG chassis you woukd be laughing even at $150.

Last edited by spunkybob; 12-20-2017 at 04:45 AM.

Since it's a vxl, I would say go for it. If the battery doesn't work, just upgrade to lipo. Trust me you'll regret it if you don't. But for 150$ you have a great deal

RC poster
    I would go for it, the car is the same as mine. I have upgraded the esc and replaced the motor along with upgrades here and there. It still runs fine though and can keep up with the new slash.

RC poster
    She just accepted my offer of $125

Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I'll run in to a bunch more questions when it comes to upgrades. There is a lot of good info here to comb through.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Check the rear chassis where the shock tower bolts on. That area can crack...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Quote Originally Posted by hunkajunk View Post
    She just accepted my offer of $125

Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I'll run in to a bunch more questions when it comes to upgrades. There is a lot of good info here to comb through.
    Awesome, you will love It!