ground clearance

hey guys,id like to get more ground clearance so i get stuck less and im willing to try anything you can think of... i dont want to spend to much as im saving up for something going on a different rc
    im open to any ANY ideas you guys have

i would like to try putting longer shock shafts for more suspension travel
    and i need to get more ground clearence from the a-arms and suspention as i put slighly smaller tires on my sst for the time being but they handle sooo much better then stock
    here is a link to the tires im currently using untill my teton tires arrive:https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXERZS&P=ML
    Last edited by broitsseth; 12-19-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    cool ain't cheap -Dan Dreger

Wow, those look like awesome tires! You could possibly try finding a 1/18 rc from some other company and take the suspension arms and caster blocks, and axels, etc. that are longer and put longer or harder shocks on. I have the traxxas GTR shocks on my sst and I just tighten the thread on those for driving in the grass, super rough bumpy dirt, etc. and that works well to, but it spins out a lot mor easily on the road.
    Doesn't need to be fancy. Just needs to run.

yeah,i tried putting dromida 4.18 a-arms to widen it but i couldent get the driveshafts to work as they where the wrong length

edit:they dont fit on the sst as they have 8mm hexes so you have to cut down the 12mm hexes to make these tires work

2nd edit: tonight im going to try drilling holes for mounting the shocks a bit closer to the center and see how that affects it
    Last edited by broitsseth; 12-20-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Please tell me how it goes!

Well a few minutes ago I drilled new mounting holes on the a-arms-just slightly closer then the closest ones and wow! It leans a lot just like a real pre-runner and it can be tuned with shock spacers for ground clarance or not! I highly suggest doing this if you want to try a looser suspention(also I’m using dromida sc4.18shocks because it’s what I have as my old shocks are on something else)
    Ground clearance problem solved!

GREAT Good job

update:i dont think ill be getting teton tires soon,i need a lot of parts and their not to high on importance currently

RC poster
    Here's a suggestion, if you're still interested in more ground clearance. I've yet to try this but will probably do so as soon as I can get the materials.

Find a piece of pvc plastic, abs, or something similar to what the shock towers are made of. Make a bracket shaped as a triangle.
    Two points connect on the shock tower and one point going down towards the ground(as far as you want it(in theory).
    My guess is you can raise it an inch, two, three or whatever.

Then you're bringing in stability issues on hard surface or high speed turns.

yeah,the shocks travel is no longer the problem, where the driveshaft goes into the differential it hits the cup(not sure what its called)and then that is what limits the travel,im considering grinding down the outer parts of the diff a bit but i m not sure if it would make a noticeable difference
    tomorrow ill post some pics of that im doing/did/talking about if i can make myself remember to take the pics and not drive it

and i like the idea of of pvc it would allow so many more shock mounting positions,but it would require new body mounts,and figuring that stuff out is half the fun for me!
    Last edited by broitsseth; 01-04-2018 at 09:50 AM.