RC poster

Alloy blue shocks

Good day, I was wanting some help in trying to identify what shock absorbers are in my stampede 4x4 vxl.
    The truck was purchased used, and one of the shocks is leaking from the bottom. I have tried looking for pictures of blue alloy shocks and can't identify them. That also have racing springs.
    http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...psanr10qd2.jpg
    http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...pshgqn8e48.jpg

Thankyou if anyone can identify the type of shocks I would really appreciate it. So I can get a kit to possibly rebuild them.

RC Qualifier
    Oh snap, I remeber when those were all the rage. I even bought some quite a few years ago and mine leak'd like mad. Those are ebay shocks. i.e. not name brand. it might take some experimenting to figure out what kit fits them. sometimes the ultra shock kit can fix them, but you might need the kit for venom shocks. If the bottoms arn't leaking I would just check the badder and add your favorite shock oil weight and enjoy.

If you'r sure need a rebuild kit take one apart and see if you can match the gaskets to any known brands.
    Brushless RiPs Nitro Drips.

RC poster
    Thanks Skitter, I was told they were alloy shocks by seller. I might take them apart and fill up the shocks with new shock oil. And see how I go. Otherwise might get a rebuild kit for the stock shocks that got thrown in. Thankyou

RC Enthusiast
    Grab you a little silicon grease when you swap out the shock oil and lube up the o-rings on the shock shaft. Usually helps unless the shaft o-rings are done for from too much grit. I use the the little grey tub from Lowe’s or HD that plumbers use. It’s what I started using on the o-rings on my aluminum flashlights and on all my RC shock rebuilds. Also perfect to fill the gap on the receiver box opening to fill the gap where the ESC and servo cables come out.
    Last edited by SlashRunner80; 12-25-2017 at 11:40 AM.

RC poster
    Thanks everyone. If I decided to change the shocks and springs, would the gtr shocks or big bores be the best to drop in. I have read that you can drop the gtr shocks straight in. I read that the top of the shock needs longer screws, and that maybe use 40wt. I just drive it around the park or on open car parks. Don't do too much jumps if any. Thankyou for everyone's assistance.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'd get GTR's over big bores. I have big bores from another project, and they require too much tweaking to get tuned. You'll want stiff springs, preload, and 60ish wt oil of you go with them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    those look like gpm or rcstar shocks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    those look like gpm or rcstar shocks
    I can find GPM shocks in a google search but they are a different style. more smooth in their design. But I can't find rcstar, do you have a link or reference?
    Brushless RiPs Nitro Drips.

RC poster
    Just an update, took out the shock and cleaned it up. Took a photo of it partially dismantled.
    http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...pstf44ywuf.jpg
    Tightened the cap at the bottom and just deciding what shock grade oil to use. Would 40wt be ok and should I drain all the shocks since I don't know what type or grade of oil is in the other shocks?
    Thankyou once I open them up to fill will do the trick suggested in earlier post.

Drain all the old oil out. Move the shaft and piston up and down the shock body while holding upside down. The more of the old dirty oil you can get out the better.
    As for weight I reckon Grips suggestion of 60wt is pretty close to what you want. Maybe start at 50wt and go from there to suit your style of driving.

RC poster
    Good day, just an update. I drained out the 2 front shocks and refilled as suggested with 50wt shock oil. Both had a firm piston when cap placed on shock. The previous leaking shock bottom cap, if you give it too much compression I managed to pop the black cap off from bottom of shock. The thread seems like as if it can't tighten after a certain amount and just keeps spinning. Would blue locktite on the bottom cap of shock work? Or any other suggestion? Just trying all options before needing to buy the Traxxas gtr shocks which I will eventually buy.
    Need to order from US online store since way cheaper than in oz but have to wait around three weeks, so don't want my truck out of commission for that long.
    Thankyou

RC Qualifier
    You can try rapping teflon tape to the shock threads and screw the cap back on but my guess is it's stripped. Worth a try till your new ones come in and if that doesn't work pop the top cap and put a light spring inside on the piston that'll hold you over till the new ones come. Better to have some reflex to the shock to at least drive it. Hope this helps. P.S. Don't be scared of scoring the inside of the shock by putting a spring in there if you can't find rebuild kits and your replacing them does it really matter if they do get scored.
    Last edited by Rain Dawg; 01-03-2018 at 11:02 PM.

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply. I have tried some heat shrink tube on the bottom cap and over the shock thread. It has held up one bashing run. The shock Spring goes over the heat shrink and let's the shock work ok. If it pops off the cap again I will try the suggestion. I am ordering the GTR shocks so hopefully they will arrive in a few weeks.
    On my last outing my son managed to break the body shell where the back posts on the body go through the shell. I am going to try some metal tape trying to fill the holes, and use some body spacer underneath. Have new polycarbonate body on order with shocks so this body just temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by stampedee1 View Post
    Thanks everyone. If I decided to change the shocks and springs, would the gtr shocks or big bores be the best to drop in. I have read that you can drop the gtr shocks straight in. I read that the top of the shock needs longer screws, and that maybe use 40wt. I just drive it around the park or on open car parks. Don't do too much jumps if any. Thankyou for everyone's assistance.
    Your best bet is going with 2 sets of xxl on front and rear. Takes some mods but will preform a whole lot better. You can also throw in the revo dampener kit.
    Member of the 100+ post club! Here to mess up!