Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider58 View Post
    I've played around with expert mode but never gotten serious enough to really learn it. I can fly pretty well in sport mode but expert for me is like going back to square 1 and learning to fly all over again. Most experienced pilots say if you can't fly without self leveling, you're not really flying & I suppose I agree with that philosophy. I even bought a FPV racer, not recommended for beginners lol, and almost lost it first time out. It's been sitting in the case for months now but this spring, I'm going to force myself to fly everything in expert until I'm good enough to take it to the next level with my FPV racer. https://www.immersionrc.com/fpv-prod...ecial-edition/

BTW, can't help but notice no one is commenting either way on firmware updates & calibration. A lot of folks in other clubs seem to think that's really important (myself included) but not seeing that same attitude here in the Traxxas forum?
    I suppose if you're using the RTH and flying in film mode the calibration is definitely important. I have the latest firmware and line of sight fly .. expert 90% of the time .
    Once the GPS locks on I go .

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hemidoo View Post
    I suppose if you're using the RTH and flying in film mode the calibration is definitely important. I have the latest firmware and line of sight fly .. expert 90% of the time .
    Once the GPS locks on I go .

OK, so you do recommend the latest firmware but since you FLY MOSTLY EXPERT, calibration is not an issue for you - makes sense but you really don't have to keep rubbing out nose in it!!! LOL

RC Qualifier
    OK, so you do recommend the latest firmware but since you FLY MOSTLY EXPERT, calibration is not an issue for you - makes sense but you really don't have to keep rubbing out nose in it!!! LOL
    You'll get the expert mode , just keep at it . Stay low over soft ground . Once you learn to change direction and stop and hover quickly then you will advance fast . Do you have bright lights on the front of your Aton ?

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    The LED lenses are fitted into the groves correctly. It really isnt a big issue as the people at my hobby store say. About expert mode, I've turned down all of the rates for it on the app. When I get new motors for my Alias, I plan to use that in expert mode a lot, to really get used to it and get some practice. Ive crashed that quad into my house and on hard, concrete grounds, and it was fine. I even crashed it into a tree and then fell on my neighbors car, and it was fine. To me, yeah expert mode does seem a big step up, but in my eyes, it doesn't seem way to difficult. I'm determined to master it.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hemidoo View Post
    You'll get the expert mode , just keep at it . Stay low over soft ground . Once you learn to change direction and stop and hover quickly then you will advance fast . Do you have bright lights on the front of your Aton ?

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
    I can hover nose out in expert no problem & can fly forward/backward & side to side reasonably well. But as soon as I try to turn back towards myself (nose in) it usually goes into a sideways dive and lands belly up on the ground. It's not that I don't understand the perceived stick reversal when flying nose in (do fine with that in sport mode) but something about expert causes me to hesitate just long enough that I can't recover before losing control. I've never added any lights to my Aton & it's not an orientation issue if that's what you mean. I know which way it's pointing just can't seem to master nose-in flight in expert mode but I'll eventually get it I suppose.

I'm sure you know this but a tip that could be useful for beginners - if the quad gets too far out to tell which way it's pointing, imagine a line extending from your eyes to the horizon. If it's travelling to the right away from that line, gradually turn right until it's horizontal motion stops & it will be flying directly back toward you. But if it's travelling left, just turn left to achieve the same result. Turning in the same direction it's travelling across the sky "pulls" it's nose back around toward you if that makes sense. At the 4:10 mark of this video is a good example. This quad has no GPS so when I got too close to the power line for comfort - it got all squirrelly on me & by the time I regained control it was too far out to tell its orientation. It was only this learned reaction that saved me from a hike to find a lost quadcopter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4AaxNuLJc0

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by feverdog11 View Post
    The LED lenses are fitted into the groves correctly. It really isnt a big issue as the people at my hobby store say. About expert mode, I've turned down all of the rates for it on the app. When I get new motors for my Alias, I plan to use that in expert mode a lot, to really get used to it and get some practice. Ive crashed that quad into my house and on hard, concrete grounds, and it was fine. I even crashed it into a tree and then fell on my neighbors car, and it was fine. To me, yeah expert mode does seem a big step up, but in my eyes, it doesn't seem way to difficult. I'm determined to master it.
    Good approach, Alias is pretty durable - not bullet-proof - but it's usually cheaper to fix than Aton. Don't kid yourself though - expert mode is hard & maybe even harder if you've already become dependent on self-leveling. To get an idea how difficult it will be, take your Alias out & try to hover in expert mode about 10 ft off the ground. If you can hold it in that position for as long as you like, then you may be one of the lucky ones but if you can't, be prepared for a lot of practice. Like you said, I think it's a matter of forcing yourself to learn it. I really enjoy ripping the sky in sport mode which is probably what's been holding me back. Apparently, learning to fly expert well can be a time consuming process so I guess you need to discipline yourself to keep from falling off the wagon. Going back to self leveling while trying to learn expert will almost certainly delay the learning process. Stock up on extra props because you'll probably be needing some but as the old saying goes, no pain - no gain right?
    Last edited by Ghostrider58; 01-13-2018 at 05:52 PM.

RC Competitor
    Just got the new motors for my Alias, and a black canopy for my Aton to boot. I tried out my Alias in expert mode and I thought it went surprisingly well. I was able to go forward and then back to myself, and I think I was even able to do a crappy funnel. However, theres a problem with mine, which ill create another thread on the Alias page.

RC Qualifier
    I can hover nose out in expert no problem & can fly forward/backward & side to side reasonably well. But as soon as I try to turn back towards myself (nose in) it usually goes into a sideways dive and lands belly up on the ground. It's not that I don't understand the perceived stick reversal when flying nose in (do fine with that in sport mode) but something about expert causes me to hesitate just long enough that I can't recover before losing control. I've never added any lights to my Aton & it's not an orientation issue if that's what you mean. I know which way it's pointing just can't seem to master nose-in flight in expert mode but I'll eventually get it I suppose.

I'm sure you know this but a tip that could be useful for beginners - if the quad gets too far out to tell which way it's pointing, imagine a line extending from your eyes to the horizon. If it's travelling to the right away from that line, gradually turn right until it's horizontal motion stops & it will be flying directly back toward you. But if it's travelling left, just turn left to achieve the same result. Turning in the same direction it's travelling across the sky "pulls" it's nose back around toward you if that makes sense. At the 4:10 mark of this video is a good example. This quad has no GPS so when I got too close to the power line for comfort - it got all squirrelly on me & by the time I regained control it was too far out to tell its orientation. It was only this learned reaction that saved me from a hike to find a lost quadcopter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4AaxNuLJc0
    Nice flying bringing it back !
    Flying edf jets , they sure get small in a hurry . Doing what you explained is the only way to bring them back.... happens all the time . Great advice for someone learning for sure .
    Try doing 360°spins as you are flying in expert mode ... that seems to help with stick coordination and learning how to fly nose in .

Last edited by hemidoo; 01-15-2018 at 10:43 PM.

RC Competitor
    Wow, just had a reaaallllyyy close call. I was flying in the dark on sport mode in my backyard, with the rates turned down. Accidentally went straight into a tree. Chopped some twigs, and immediately applied full power. It thankfully stabilized and was able to recover, without smashing into the huge tree. Checked the main FCB and PDB under the quad and everything seemed fine. Could doing that like I described maybe damage the electronics?

RC Enthusiast
    Wow, just had a reaaallllyyy close call. I was flying in the dark on sport mode in my backyard, with the rates turned down. Accidentally went straight into a tree. Chopped some twigs, and immediately applied full power. It thankfully stabilized and was able to recover, without smashing into the huge tree. Checked the main FCB and PDB under the quad and everything seemed fine. Could doing that like I described maybe damage the electronics?
    You were lucky as most encounters with trees don't end so well. As far as the electronics - if it still flies like it supposed to, they're probably fine although a full calibration never hurts. I think you'll know right away if the electronics get damaged. A mishap like you described would probably do more damage to props & motors than anything.

RC Competitor
    Today, I went to an open field with a friend to use Aton. I tried it in expert mode on low rates, and I think I did really great. It was really stabile, maybe stabler than sport mode, was able to go pretty fast was even able to make some recoveries and sort of, not really do funnels and banked turns. Planning to use it with a little higher rates next time .

(P.S.- All of the electronics worked 100% fine).
    Last edited by feverdog11; 01-20-2018 at 02:28 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Today, I went to an open field with a friend to use Aton. I tried it in expert mode on low rates, and I think I did really great. It was really stabile, maybe stabler than sport mode, was able to go pretty fast was even able to make some recoveries and sort of, not really do funnels and banked turns. Planning to use it with a little higher rates next time .

(P.S.- All of the electronics worked 100% fine).
    Congrats - sounds like you're advancing quickly. I should dial back my rates & practice more to catch up

RC Competitor
    I flew with the lowest rates possible, id just try going slowing, really using airbrakes a lot. About that, they worked when I assigned it to the AUX 1 button. The AUX 2 is probably broken. Not a big deal.

RC Competitor
    Update: Im pretty sure my Aton is fine. Today, I have started flying expert mode in my backyard at 50 percent rates. I was was doing pretty well. Unfortunately, I did have a few mishaps, like I did run it in to some tree branches, where it has fallen, and even a case where it hit me straight in my knee. It hurt me a little bit and immediately disarmed. When I tried to take of with it, it armed but then automatically disarmed a few times before I could fly it, but it was fine. The only damage I could see was a slightly damaged propellor. Im looking at it now, seeing that Aton really isn't complicated. However, is a slightly damaged prop really bad? BTW, even after those crashes everything seemed fine. Going to an open field next time.

RC Qualifier
    Update: Im pretty sure my Aton is fine. Today, I have started flying expert mode in my backyard at 50 percent rates. I was was doing pretty well. Unfortunately, I did have a few mishaps, like I did run it in to some tree branches, where it has fallen, and even a case where it hit me straight in my knee. It hurt me a little bit and immediately disarmed. When I tried to take of with it, it armed but then automatically disarmed a few times before I could fly it, but it was fine. The only damage I could see was a slightly damaged propellor. Im looking at it now, seeing that Aton really isn't complicated. However, is a slightly damaged prop really bad? BTW, even after those crashes everything seemed fine. Going to an open field next time.

Sounds like your getting better !
    Just a few chips out of the prop ? Just make sure there's not any cracks that could allow the prop to come apart .

Open area for learning is a great idea !!

RC Competitor
    Been increasingly getting better and better with expert mode . Just got a question about flips. I have never done one before, manually. Do you have to have 100 percent rates for the flips? My guess would be no but I just want to make sure, since I am nervous to do so.

RC Qualifier
    Sure you can , but you should good at controlling your Aton at 100% on all rates by using stick movements before performing stunts . Can you do manual flips/rolls in sport mode ?

RC Competitor
    ugh... new day, new problems. Was flying Aton on 85 percent rates and was doing really well. However, that is when the quad dis-armed mid flight. It was fortunately not high and could see zero damage to the circuitry, but when i tried to arm it again, one of the motors would not spin properly. Was that the reason it disarmed mid-flight due to the motor not spinning correctly? I am friction' tired of my RCs breaking and I don't want this to break again non-purposely.

RC Competitor
    Edit: Im loving the quad though. its basically a huge stunt quad but with GPS and bluetooth and has the ability to film. It is almost As durable as the Alias. Crashed it many times in my backyard. Its landed pretty hard on all fours and have ran it into many things including trees, and my leg, and it still works flawlessly (why in my backyard? Because I didn't want to wait and didn't have the patience to go to a open field lol). I am hoping that incident was just an isolated and just had to do with the motors.

RC Competitor
    Another Issue! Ever since I've been flying in expert mode in my backyard, I have always crashed. Today, put it through a lot of crap. Propellor hit the side of my house and crashed, it my fence on all fours and crashed, and one of the propellors hit a tree, which then crashed and bent all of my propellors . Fortunately, all of the circuitry and electronics, including the motors seem to be working completely flawlessly. For some reason, I find expert mode to definitely be a good challenge on 100 percent rates, but, I do feel that it isn't that fun multitasking keeping it stable with tiny movements, where one mistake can end up you crashing it, while trying to do maneuvers. Ill probably stick with 90 percent roll and pitch, and 80 percent yaw, since you can actually have some real fun, in my opinion, instead of multitasking, just to keep it airborne. I'm also having lots of trouble controlling it while landing nose in, or facing towards me. I also feel like I loose control when it is at my left side/right side. Any tips? To be honest starting to get a little bored. Please someone respond!
    Last edited by feverdog11; 02-09-2018 at 08:01 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12