RC Competitor

(Soon to be) New Aton owner with a few questions...

Couple of quick questions, as I await the arrival of my Traxxas Aton, which should be here next week....

Did most of you update the firmware before your first flight? It seems the last update to firmware was Jan. 27th, so I guess the Aton won't come with the latest firmware on it.

Also, do I need to calibrate the compass? Any other calibrations needed? Anything else you'd suggest prior to my first flight? Do you use the Android app to calibrate?

I've already formatted a micro SD card, and plan to install it in the Aton to be able to review flight logs.

Thanks in advance!

Congrats! You'll love it.

I did not update firmware right off the bat. Flew a few times first, and have updated twice since then.
    I did not, nor have I gone through any calibration process to date. That of course does not mean you shouldn't or don't need to.
    Formatting the card in exfat worked well for me.

RC Competitor
    Hey Canuck!
    Thanks for your response!

I thought they didn't sell Aton's up north yet... did you smuggle yours in? Fly it in under cover of darkness???

Guess I'll update the firmware, I assume that the software on my Android would tell me what firmware my Aton is at, and if it's an older version, I'll go ahead and update it.

I have formatted my SD card in exfat, ready to go!

How long have you had your Aton? I'm relatively new to quads, started beginning of December, so I thought I'd give mysefl time to get better at flying before upgrading to a hobby lever quad. I have been flying a Syma X8C and an Alias nearly every day.

I then ordered a HiSky from China, it arrived, and when I took it out, it flew very erratically, ended up in a tree, I gave it a quick burst of throttle and it ended up on the ground, with a cracked arm!

Fortunately, the website I purchased it from acknowledged that the transmitter board was at fault, and refunded all of my money.

Between when the HiSky was ordered, and when it arrived, I heard about the Aton, and started to really want that quad.

Somehow, things have a way of working out!

Can't WAIT until it arrives!

Is calibration done with the Traxxas app?

Thanks again!

RC Qualifier
    Got mine before the updates came out. Flew great. Same after doing the updates. Would suggest not flying in a neighborhood or around populated areas until traxxas figures out why some models drop out of the sky and others don't.

Ordered mine on New Years Eve!
    You'll be happy to hear I got into quads last year with an Alias as well! Let me tell you that the flight characteristics of tha Aton are very familiar to Alias, as is the controller, so it's a very nice and easier learning curve.
    I took to it quickly.
    The big thing is to respect the phenominal cosmic power upgrade! Also getting familiar with the GPS functionality is a must.
    Bummer about the HiSky...
    Yes, the calibration is done with the app with real-time instructions.

RC Racer
    Canuckvoip, I just read another thread where a guy was having firmware issues. the problem turned out to be that he was trying to use ExFAT file system. Traxxas specifies FAT32. Once he reformatted to FAT32 and reinstalled the latest firmware all his problems went away.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckvoip View Post
    Congrats! You'll love it.

I did not update firmware right off the bat. Flew a few times first, and have updated twice since then.
    I did not, nor have I gone through any calibration process to date. That of course does not mean you shouldn't or don't need to.
    Formatting the card in exfat worked well for me.

RC Racer
    Opinions vary on this point. All I'm relating here is what I did with mine.

The 1st thing I did after opening the box and making sure everything was there, was update the firmware EXACTLY AS INSTRUCTED on the firmware update web site. That included making sure my Micro SD card was class 10 and formatted in FAT32. After updating the firmware I opened the app and followed the instructions for Bluetooth pairing and connecting. (Tap the CONNECTIONS menu item in the bottom right corner after the Aton is all done booting up and has GPS lock and Home Position.) Then I performed all 3 calibrations. (Note: I did the calibrations on a coffee table that I made sure was actually level.) The whole thing took about 10 minutes. I also read the Quick Start Guide and Manual while I waited for the battery to finish charging. In less than an hour it was hovering at a little higher than eye level without any help from me. I've had it for a little less than a week now. I've flown it several times and the only issue I've has was today and was caused by an FPV cam interfering with my transmitter. That's a subject for another thread. The Aton has performed flawlessly, though I admit I haven't really pushed it anywhere near its limits. I'm not a very good quad pilot yet so I'm taking my time and trying to improve my skills.

RC Competitor
    Cuttin
    Thanks for the info... sounds like a good plan.

May as well update firmware and calibrate everything before my first flight...

RC Racer
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...ith-Simple-Fix

Quote Originally Posted by CuttinEJ View Post
    Canuckvoip, I just read another thread where a guy was having firmware issues. the problem turned out to be that he was trying to use ExFAT file system. Traxxas specifies FAT32. Once he reformatted to FAT32 and reinstalled the latest firmware all his problems went away.

RC Racer
    Yes sir. There have been a few problems here and there with firmware. Rather with the firmware update process from my perspective. And I've had at least a few discussions lately on whether or not to do it at all. I've followed a few threads and seen at least a couple of these problems that were resolved by something so simple you just don't think of it 1st thing. (See the link above.) From what I was able to learn here on the forum and in the FB group, it just seemed to me to be a good idea to get everything up to date and in a known good state before I flew it. Seems to have worked out fine for the vast majority of us. Just be sure to follow the firmware update process exactly as they lay it out. I read through it a few times while I was waiting to get mine and I had it in front of me as I did it. Kind of like a check list.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelJW View Post
    Cuttin
    Thanks for the info... sounds like a good plan.

May as well update firmware and calibrate everything before my first flight...

OK this is funny... I couldn't remember where I saw exfat but I knew I saw it somewhere... Here it is!

That is a screenshot from the Traxxas firmware "How to" video. Lol! It is at 0:35 seconds in. here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY2XITql6Uo

Now having said that, you can see it is being done on a Mac, but exfat is exfat is exfat. Shouldn't matter the OS. Anyway, the written instructions surrounding the video do indeed say Fat32 here https://traxxas.com/products/models/...ton?t=firmware

I cannot explain.
    All I know is that because of that video I formatted in exfat. I am on Win 10. Works for me. I've been reading the log files and updating with the card.
    Funny!

RC Competitor
    I cannot explain.
    All I know is that because of that video I formatted in exfat. I am on Win 10. Works for me. I've been reading the log files and updating with the card.
    Funny!
    That is pretty strange!

RC Racer
    That is kind of weird. Isn't it? I wonder if Apple (and possibly others) are using the terms FAT32 and ExFAT interchangeably?

RC Qualifier
    I confirmed previously that my card only works if it is formatted at fat32. It might have something to do with the size of the card. Mine is 64 gb. Could be that exfat works on smaller cards only.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm the guy who could not update with exFAT. Once I formatted FAT32, it updated the firmware in minutes. I flew a few dozen times before the u pgrade, and have the same since. No major difference.

You're going to love your Aton.

If you're not an experienced flier, keep it in FILM mode for a while. I crashed it right into the ground the first time I went Sport mode. I crashed it in FILM mode too - mind you. That said, it's fairly resilient - so dont worry if you dink it once or twice. Just try not to.

RC Competitor
    mmwine
    Thanks. I'm the OP and I always say that I am very patient, as long as I don't have to wait!

The waiting is driving me nuts, but I should have my Aton this Thursday. When I purchased it, they said no later then Weds., but tracking now says it'll arrive Thursday.

I do have experience flying, but I'll take it slow to begin with. I have an Alias, and I've heard from a number of owners that the Aton flys much like the Alias, but faster, so I hope that I'll get the hang of it pretty quickly!

Quick question... does it come with a mount for a camera? I realize the Aton, non plus version, doesn't have a gimbal, but I would imagine it does have some kind of a camera mount, is this correct?

Thanks!

Yes, it does have a static mount for a Gopro type camera.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes, it does have a static mount for a Gopro type camera.
    Like Canuckvoip said, it comes with the Static mount for a GoPro. Remember to switch your GoPro to "Down" when you use it though, or your video will be upside down.

I have seen a lot of negative reviews on the Gimbal. However, I bought one and see a big difference between gimbal and no gimbal. I dont have experience with other drones w/ cams - so perhaps it's not "as good" as others. However, I posted a side by side video with and without - and it's a huge difference. However, it's $100, and that's a lot of dough. Plus, rumor has it a 3 axis gimbal is coming.

[/QUOTE]

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ShelJW View Post
    mmwine
    I do have experience flying, but I'll take it slow to begin with. I have an Alias, and I've heard from a number of owners that the Aton flys much like the Alias, but faster, so I hope that I'll get the hang of it pretty quickly!
    Thanks!
    The alias is a good learning quad before getting the aton. I use my alias to try things and get comfortable before I try it with my aton. Just wish I could get my alias to hover like my aton.

RC poster
    Hello. I am new here and have a question. Is the Traxxas Aton better than the dramida ominous? Just trying to compare the two because I have the dramida ominous. Thank you for any help.

Chad

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddlee1978 View Post
    Hello. I am new here and have a question. Is the Traxxas Aton better than the dramida ominous? Just trying to compare the two because I have the dramida ominous. Thank you for any help.

Chad
    The Dramida Ominous is roughly similar to the Traxxas Alias. The Traxxas Aton is superior in every way (at least from my perspective).

A few of the more significant improvements the Aton has are:
    - Brushless motors
    - higher capacity batteries
    - much longer flight times
    - GPS which enables return-to-home, auto-hover, and air-brakes

Plus, Traxxas is truly extraordinary in terms of the effort snd resources they put into supporting their customers.

Welcome to the Aton.

Larry

RC poster
    How does the auto hover work? Is it when you take hands off of controller it will stay in one spot? Is it more stable than the dramida ominous?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddlee1978 View Post
    How does the auto hover work? Is it when you take hands off of controller it will stay in one spot? Is it more stable than the dramida ominous?
    It has three modes of operation. In film mode, it will hover in the same spot, maintaining same alittude, when the sticks are centered.

I've never flown a Dramida Ominous, but I'm sure the Aton is way more stable.

Larry

RC poster
    I thank ya. Been researching different drones from phantom to the spark and now this one. Is FPV pretty good with this drone and how far will signal reach?

RC Qualifier
    Hello,

The Aton does not have any FPV capabilities as purchased. Some people have modified theirs and added FPV though.

The Aton excels as a line-of-sight trainer and for having fun. The DJI drones are primarily intended as camera platforms. The right choice depends heavily on your intended use.

The Aton can be used as a camera platform. However, as much as I love the Aton, I wouldn't recommend it for that.

Larry

RC poster
    Ok. I may wait and get a phantom. Thanks for yalls help.