Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider58 View Post
    I've played around with expert mode but never gotten serious enough to really learn it. I can fly pretty well in sport mode but expert for me is like going back to square 1 and learning to fly all over again. Most experienced pilots say if you can't fly without self leveling, you're not really flying & I suppose I agree with that philosophy. I even bought a FPV racer, not recommended for beginners lol, and almost lost it first time out. It's been sitting in the case for months now but this spring, I'm going to force myself to fly everything in expert until I'm good enough to take it to the next level with my FPV racer. https://www.immersionrc.com/fpv-prod...ecial-edition/

BTW, can't help but notice no one is commenting either way on firmware updates & calibration. A lot of folks in other clubs seem to think that's really important (myself included) but not seeing that same attitude here in the Traxxas forum?
    I suppose if you're using the RTH and flying in film mode the calibration is definitely important. I have the latest firmware and line of sight fly .. expert 90% of the time .
    Once the GPS locks on I go .

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hemidoo View Post
    I suppose if you're using the RTH and flying in film mode the calibration is definitely important. I have the latest firmware and line of sight fly .. expert 90% of the time .
    Once the GPS locks on I go .

OK, so you do recommend the latest firmware but since you FLY MOSTLY EXPERT, calibration is not an issue for you - makes sense but you really don't have to keep rubbing out nose in it!!! LOL

RC Qualifier
    OK, so you do recommend the latest firmware but since you FLY MOSTLY EXPERT, calibration is not an issue for you - makes sense but you really don't have to keep rubbing out nose in it!!! LOL
    You'll get the expert mode , just keep at it . Stay low over soft ground . Once you learn to change direction and stop and hover quickly then you will advance fast . Do you have bright lights on the front of your Aton ?

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    The LED lenses are fitted into the groves correctly. It really isnt a big issue as the people at my hobby store say. About expert mode, I've turned down all of the rates for it on the app. When I get new motors for my Alias, I plan to use that in expert mode a lot, to really get used to it and get some practice. Ive crashed that quad into my house and on hard, concrete grounds, and it was fine. I even crashed it into a tree and then fell on my neighbors car, and it was fine. To me, yeah expert mode does seem a big step up, but in my eyes, it doesn't seem way to difficult. I'm determined to master it.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hemidoo View Post
    You'll get the expert mode , just keep at it . Stay low over soft ground . Once you learn to change direction and stop and hover quickly then you will advance fast . Do you have bright lights on the front of your Aton ?

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
    I can hover nose out in expert no problem & can fly forward/backward & side to side reasonably well. But as soon as I try to turn back towards myself (nose in) it usually goes into a sideways dive and lands belly up on the ground. It's not that I don't understand the perceived stick reversal when flying nose in (do fine with that in sport mode) but something about expert causes me to hesitate just long enough that I can't recover before losing control. I've never added any lights to my Aton & it's not an orientation issue if that's what you mean. I know which way it's pointing just can't seem to master nose-in flight in expert mode but I'll eventually get it I suppose.

I'm sure you know this but a tip that could be useful for beginners - if the quad gets too far out to tell which way it's pointing, imagine a line extending from your eyes to the horizon. If it's travelling to the right away from that line, gradually turn right until it's horizontal motion stops & it will be flying directly back toward you. But if it's travelling left, just turn left to achieve the same result. Turning in the same direction it's travelling across the sky "pulls" it's nose back around toward you if that makes sense. At the 4:10 mark of this video is a good example. This quad has no GPS so when I got too close to the power line for comfort - it got all squirrelly on me & by the time I regained control it was too far out to tell its orientation. It was only this learned reaction that saved me from a hike to find a lost quadcopter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4AaxNuLJc0

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by feverdog11 View Post
    The LED lenses are fitted into the groves correctly. It really isnt a big issue as the people at my hobby store say. About expert mode, I've turned down all of the rates for it on the app. When I get new motors for my Alias, I plan to use that in expert mode a lot, to really get used to it and get some practice. Ive crashed that quad into my house and on hard, concrete grounds, and it was fine. I even crashed it into a tree and then fell on my neighbors car, and it was fine. To me, yeah expert mode does seem a big step up, but in my eyes, it doesn't seem way to difficult. I'm determined to master it.
    Good approach, Alias is pretty durable - not bullet-proof - but it's usually cheaper to fix than Aton. Don't kid yourself though - expert mode is hard & maybe even harder if you've already become dependent on self-leveling. To get an idea how difficult it will be, take your Alias out & try to hover in expert mode about 10 ft off the ground. If you can hold it in that position for as long as you like, then you may be one of the lucky ones but if you can't, be prepared for a lot of practice. Like you said, I think it's a matter of forcing yourself to learn it. I really enjoy ripping the sky in sport mode which is probably what's been holding me back. Apparently, learning to fly expert well can be a time consuming process so I guess you need to discipline yourself to keep from falling off the wagon. Going back to self leveling while trying to learn expert will almost certainly delay the learning process. Stock up on extra props because you'll probably be needing some but as the old saying goes, no pain - no gain right?
    Last edited by Ghostrider58; 01-13-2018 at 05:52 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Just got the new motors for my Alias, and a black canopy for my Aton to boot. I tried out my Alias in expert mode and I thought it went surprisingly well. I was able to go forward and then back to myself, and I think I was even able to do a crappy funnel. However, theres a problem with mine, which ill create another thread on the Alias page.

RC Qualifier
    I can hover nose out in expert no problem & can fly forward/backward & side to side reasonably well. But as soon as I try to turn back towards myself (nose in) it usually goes into a sideways dive and lands belly up on the ground. It's not that I don't understand the perceived stick reversal when flying nose in (do fine with that in sport mode) but something about expert causes me to hesitate just long enough that I can't recover before losing control. I've never added any lights to my Aton & it's not an orientation issue if that's what you mean. I know which way it's pointing just can't seem to master nose-in flight in expert mode but I'll eventually get it I suppose.

I'm sure you know this but a tip that could be useful for beginners - if the quad gets too far out to tell which way it's pointing, imagine a line extending from your eyes to the horizon. If it's travelling to the right away from that line, gradually turn right until it's horizontal motion stops & it will be flying directly back toward you. But if it's travelling left, just turn left to achieve the same result. Turning in the same direction it's travelling across the sky "pulls" it's nose back around toward you if that makes sense. At the 4:10 mark of this video is a good example. This quad has no GPS so when I got too close to the power line for comfort - it got all squirrelly on me & by the time I regained control it was too far out to tell its orientation. It was only this learned reaction that saved me from a hike to find a lost quadcopter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4AaxNuLJc0
    Nice flying bringing it back !
    Flying edf jets , they sure get small in a hurry . Doing what you explained is the only way to bring them back.... happens all the time . Great advice for someone learning for sure .
    Try doing 360°spins as you are flying in expert mode ... that seems to help with stick coordination and learning how to fly nose in .

Last edited by hemidoo; 01-15-2018 at 10:43 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12