RC Enthusiast

Racing a GT in a 25.5 VTA class?

Been thinking of getting the 4tec 2.0 brushless version and substituting to a 25.5 motor to run at our local carpet track. Are there any people who actually race these in VTA? Seems most just do speed runs. I would like to see if it can compete with the other hi tec brands that practically everyone races at my club. Since the car has been out for some time now just curious if I would be wasting my $.

Have done some research and it is possible to get the motor, esc switched out pretty simple. Since it is a 3000 rpm limit class I may have to adjust gearing to get to that. Not sure if I can adjust/alter with the standard 2.4 control with link module?

Plenty of bodies available so no problems there, adding a driver with VTA tires installed is pretty simple as well. Obviously it's going to take some $ to do this but I don't think it would be as much as say an associated chassis setup. I have 2 slashes a 2wd I plan on setting up for carpet oval as well as a 4wd I currently race on road. Also have the 6S ERevo for just terroring it up.

So as you can tell I like the brand just looking for some insite. Btw I will use the 4tec during the summer for fun as many people in my club do some drag racing so that's why I would get the Velineum chassis version. Looks like it would be a fun car with many options to use it for. I wish we could get enough people interested in running stock GT classes but my club has to many old timers You would think they would see the need to get more entry level classes (I call them) to generate more members but oh well.
    Thanks,
    Mike

RC Racer
    I don’t believe you can limit the motor speed with the traxxas link. I don’t have any additional sensors or anything, but here’s a snapshot of the available controls.

https://imgur.com/gallery/prjoH

RC Qualifier
    I have also been on the same quest as you. The main problem I run into is gearing. In my research I learned most people run 3.5 to 4.0 final drive ratio (FDR). In order to get there you need 40 pinion and 55 spur (55/40*2.85=3.9). This is very tough on the motor because the chassis is heavy and the driveline has more rolling resistance.
    I wish you luck in your endeavor. Hopefully you can make it work. Mine has been down for a while so I have not been able to drive it. I'm working my way to open mod touring car, so I can use a bigger motor to compensate for the weight...

RC Racer
    In my opinion trying to fit the GT into a VTA class is more of a hassle than starting a dedicated GT class. That will open up doors to new drivers (young and old) who haven’t dabbled with onroad cars. This reminds me of the time when folks started having stock Slash classes in their local tracks. Traxxas’s product support and the supply chain for parts/spares is just unbeatable and the investment for a club to start dedicated GT racing can certainly pay off.

RC Enthusiast
    bash- you made the same comments that I want to happen. A GT class of its own. There have been a couple sold at the local HS that I know of but I keep trying to get more interested. But hopefully persistence hopefully pays off. There has to some young people who don't just stare at a phone
    Guess I may just have to buy one anyway but it will kind of suck not racing it. Have noticed alot of cool body options for them!
    Would like to see some real looking NEW cars racing.

SL4 - thanks for the info have not looked into the tech aspect but knew in general what I needed to do. Sounds like it may not be worth exploring the VTA option the more I keep digging. The open mod sounds fun tho. I may require extra bodies or a few extra tubes of goop!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsMike View Post
    bash- you made the same comments that I want to happen. A GT class of its own. There have been a couple sold at the local HS that I know of but I keep trying to get more interested. But hopefully persistence hopefully pays off. There has to some young people who don't just stare at a phone
    Guess I may just have to buy one anyway but it will kind of suck not racing it. Have noticed alot of cool body options for them!
    Would like to see some real looking NEW cars racing.

SL4 - thanks for the info have not looked into the tech aspect but knew in general what I needed to do. Sounds like it may not be worth exploring the VTA option the more I keep digging. The open mod sounds fun tho. I may require extra bodies or a few extra tubes of goop!
    I hear what you are saying about folks glued to their electronic devices. Having lived in the east, south and now the west, I can certainly see different kinds of vehicles being popular in different areas. I presume it's all related to the weather and available space. Back on the east coast (and the south for most part), off road vehicles were always popular. After Traxxas introduced the waterproof models and other manufacturers followed, we could run the vehicles all year long and that was a huge bonus even to get kids involved. Not to mention the durability of these things helped in making it practical for young and old alike.
    I didn't see that many on road clubs and the ones I saw dealt more with nitro.

Out here in SoCal, I find more people into crawlers and part of the reason for that could be that there's just not enough public space to run your vehicles on.

So getting people interested in on road bashers is going to take a while but I can certainly see it gaining popularity especially when you start releasing realistic body shells. I am not sure if you have noticed but places like Costco were carrying rc vehicles this holiday season. So I guess it's a matter of time and some slick marketing from the big players and we should see things pick up.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    is that 3000 rpm/volt? if not, 3000 rpm is really slow......

RC Enthusiast
    Voltage - for some reason I get confused
    Also this GT forum seems to be pretty slow? Is the car just not selling? I see they lowered the price as well (Traxxas)
    Last edited by BadlandsMike; 12-28-2017 at 10:21 PM.

Like was said above. Best idea would be to see if your local track can ask the locals if there is a desire to run a "GT" class. Maybe you can get lucky to get enough to at least give it a try and hopefully draw more interest(and racers).

As far as sales.. The 2.0's are probably not selling as well as other vehicles just because of its terrain limitations. That probably applies to all the "on road" offerings. That in turn would make this forum "quieter" than others.
    3RusterXL5
    4Nitro4Tec
    "Snap On"Alias
    Craniac

RC Enthusiast
    I ran my last dirt oval race of the year with my 4-Tec. It was at the Lake in the Hills, IL, Hobbytown, It was a special event called the "Timewarp Raceway 2018 Traffic Jam." It was a trophy race with a lot of good drivers. They provided grilled hot dogs, grilled chicken, grilled corn on the cob, chips, cookies and trophies for the racers. It was a very good event.

My 4-Tec ran great in the VTA Class. I took the advice of WASPEEDRACER48 and installed a droop screw in the right front arm and reduced the droop in that arm. The car turned left really well. I had wanted to install a 40T pinion. I bought one from my local shop. It was an older Robinson Racing pinion and was thicker. When I installed it rubbed very slightly on my Hot Racing gear cover. I think a newer, thinner pinion would have worked fine. I agree with what was previous posted, that if you install a 41T pinion you may have to modify the chassis. An adapter for 64 pitch gears is needed.

These races involved very little sportsmanship and the cars took a beating. I received a lot of very hard hits and was sent spinning into the cement walls. Guys who like to bashing would like this racing. I didn't break anything on my car. I installed the GPM CVD's and they performed well. I qualified third in the "B" Main. "B" Mains were 50 laps. By a whisker I finished second and got bumped into the "A" Main. In the "A" Main it was pretty brutal. The car was running well. It just needed a better driver. I could run with the top 5 guys, and they punted me a lot. It most racing faster drivers tell you to hold your line and they will get around you. In this case if I held my line and they wanted it, I was punted. In some cases because of the weight of the 4-Tec it wasn't as easy to do. I finished 6th out of 8 drivers in the "A." I had one marshal situation in which I got spun out in the dusty area with loose dirt and he thought I was broken and I lost 3 or 4 laps. I probably should have had my ride height higher. My wheels were spinning. I thought the car was great. Considering the fact that was running against some high end cars. It was a fun car to drive. I am very happy I had an old body that fit. If I get a chance I will post a picture of the front. It was no place for the Ford GT Body.

If you're in the area you may want to consider running the dirt oval series at the Lake in the Hills, IL, Hobbytown next year.