RC poster

brand new teton TERRIBLE RUN TIME

i got my daughter a teton for christmas and we charged the battery ( and the second one i got separately) and the run time is awefull! like 2 minutes at best im wondering is it the crappy charger not giving the battery a decent charge, or is there something wrong with the truck itself? i mean i get longer run times out of my old school bush devil that is hot rodded to the max! i mean what gives? any ideas folks?

It can't be the truck, so it's got to be either the battery, or the charger. The batteries are brand new though, so it should be the charger. Traxxas should send you a new charger because if they have a mismanufactured part like that, they send new ones
    Doesn't need to be fancy. Just needs to run.

Is anything hot after that 2 minutes? Battery, ESC, motor? Or is all cool as a cucumber? Just curious. I would definitely call Traxxas on it... The stock battery should last much longer.

RC poster
    I have the same issue. timed it from an over night charge. 8 mins. Went to my local hobby shop and bought a new battery and charger. Issue fixed. I plan on calling traxxas once the dust settles from the holiday.

I haven't tried to "re-learn" the original battery and drive it. Its was a Christmas present for a stepson that has been with his dad for the past week.

RC Enthusiast
    Another member has indicated that the charger was the issue for him ( https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...myself-a-Teton! )

I’d be curious to get this confirmed, and to hear how Traxxas solved it, because my daughter has saved up for her first RC, a Teton, and she’s going to be quite disappointed if this is the case. (While I will be able to charge her battery with my charger, I know she’ll want to be able to charge on her own when she goes to friends’ houses.)
    New TRX-4 owner as of Jan 2018!

RC Champion
    Wow OP never replied back.

But NiMH batteries do take a couple cycles before gaining back the advertised capacity if it was stored for a while.

Also, it is very possible OP's ESC was programmed for lipo.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    i think i have the same charger issue, not sure if its the charger or battery atm

RC Champion
    The cheap wall charger that comes with the unit is junk.. mine went strait to the garbage never used... u should always plan to buy a charger when buying a rc the output charge of a wall charger would take min 12 hours to charge if it does not detect a false charge and shutdown... my kid would never wait till the next day to play with her trucks again...lol

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
    Wow OP never replied back.

But NiMH batteries do take a couple cycles before gaining back the advertised capacity if it was stored for a while.

Also, it is very possible OP's ESC was programmed for lipo.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Make sure they check this.

It would cause the problem and be an easy fix.

RC Qualifier
    Get some 2s batteries. I personally use the awanfi 1500 mah 45c 2s packs from amazon. It is only about $25 from amazon, and they last at least 20 minutes. (i do have a brushless motor in my prerunner, so it is a little more efficient). Just make sure that you turn on low voltage protection, by holding down the ez set button till it makes a noise, then the light should turn green. It will also be faster, so maybe try training mode. Lastly, use the included velcro strap to hold down the batteries. DO NOT try to squeeze it into the battery compartement the same way the stock battery goes. I did this and my battery puffed up, so only the other one is functional. Also you will need a specific lipo charger. You can get a decent one off of ebay for $15 ish though.