Thread: Wet foams

RC Competitor

Wet foams

I purchased a Trx-4 used online and it arrived today. The foams are soaking wet with water running out of the holes. How do I dry the foams before I cover the holes so this doesn't happen again?
    T-Maxx since March 2001
    X-Maxx 6s
    X-Maxx 8s

RC Racer
    I'd say you may need to remove the tire from the rim (carefully, maybe using an exacto knife), take the foams out and let them dry or throw in the dryer on low.

Then, put the tires back together using tire glue to re-glue them to the rim.

I definitely covered the little air holes in the rims with black electrical tape, before ever playing in the water. I did not want wet foams.

RC Competitor
    Go to RCCrawler.com and read the TRX4 section there. Basically the stock foam is a problem. Once it becomes wet it degrades rapidly. DO NOT attempt to remove the tires with a knife! You need to apply heat to the wheel assembly to break down the glue so the tire will come off. Again go to RCCrawler.com and read the wheel and tire section for information on how to remove the tire from the wheel. There are also a number of discussions on vented vs non-vented wheels.
    It's a rock, get over it!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
    Go to RCCrawler.com and read the TRX4 section there. Basically the stock foam is a problem. Once it becomes wet it degrades rapidly. DO NOT attempt to remove the tires with a knife! You need to apply heat to the wheel assembly to break down the glue so the tire will come off. Again go to RCCrawler.com and read the wheel and tire section for information on how to remove the tire from the wheel. There are also a number of discussions on vented vs non-vented wheels.
    This is good info!

It's a good thing he asked this question about wet foams and did not attempt to remove the tires with a knife.

RC Competitor
    I first picked up my TRX4 back in june from the pre order and it went through water 1 time with the water as deep as the tires. when I removed the tires last month the foams were still damp ! I would recommend looking at the way I remove tires, it's better and easier than using the home oven, toaster oven or boiling them. I use a 60 watt light bulb in a shop clamp light, a paint roller strainer and a sheet of tinfoil to bake off the tires. The foam that really seems to be working well in the tires is the single stage foams from Proline. Proline Single Stage Foams

Check out th link below.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxx...-degraded.html

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoJac View Post
    The foam that really seems to be working well in the tires is the single stage foams from Proline. Proline Single Stage Foams
    Are you using these foams?

If so are you running them sealed or vented?

BTW, here's another method to remove the stock tires from the rims, this is me removing my TRX-4 tires

https://youtu.be/tMhaDMdeDaQ

RC Racer
    Anyone have reviews on single stage foam?
    Im thinking about making my own because the single stage is too stiff i think, but the stock open cell foam, and even the proline dual stage will still break down when they get wet. I do like the vented wheel option, because it allows more deformation under load.
    Luckily i work in a foam shop, and have access to many closed cell options.

RC Champion
    Well i boiled my tires, takes a while but theu do come off? Be very very careful.removing the tire from the rim as water will spurt out very hot after
    I then used the tires and proline 2 stage foams 1.9XL in a set of Chinese alloy beadlocks. The foams are amazing? Just make sure you get the 1.9XL as the trx4 tires are slightly larger. Not that much far off of a 2.2.
    2wd Slash VXL, 2wd Slash 9t , E Maxx 2200kv ,Trx4