Post Disassembly from curiosity!

I told Stargate360 yesterday that I was having no wrench turning withdraws so I decided to take my never driven Stampede apart to see what it was all about. Well I did, and am very impressed with my findings. . I did it mainly to have an idea of what might be wrong if something were to break.
    When I put my 2200kv motor in, I thought for sure the internal gears were going to break on me but these things are pretty beefy and I don't see that happening, not for a long time anyhow. I will take the diff out tomorrow, clean it all up take it apart. I hope my findings are jut as good, put it back together, regrease it and show more pics but this is about all i have for now. I hope they help someone get some ideas, on how it all works.

Last edited by lektro; 12-29-2017 at 02:09 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

Funny how there is more grease over the cup of the diff than there is on the ring and pinion itself.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

Quote Originally Posted by Bige4u View Post
    Funny how there is more grease over the cup of the diff than there is on the ring and pinion itself.
    Isn't it though! I was thinking the same thing. The only time the wheels have turned are on my work table. Definitely not enough to displace it from the gears. I think now, I will do the rear also!
    Choose Life !!!

RC Qualifier
    It doesn't take long for it to move. I pulled mine apart last week after a disgusting mud-fest and cleaned all the grease out. When I put it back in I turned the wheels (by hand) maybe 15-20 times to make sure it went all the way around and almost all of it was off the gears. But not only does it work as a lubricant, it also catches any debris that may find its way into the housing.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

I can only imagine that. I am not sure what type of grease it was but I put white lithium grease on as a substitute. If anyone know's this is wrong Please speak before I put her back together.

After taking the diff apart. Everything still looks pretty beefy. Not sure what the stock oil is but will leave it in there for now.

Choose Life !!!

I am done. Anyone know if there is a upgrade to the pin inside the diff like a metal bar with pins in the end. for strength???
    Thought i might had seen that somewhere.... well this here is all me. My ity bity workshop. Sure has been fun. I have been re-building the rusty and upgrading the Stampede. I have gotten so much enjoyment from working on these.

Going on about 16 months of pleasure building them. Unbelievable how fast you learn over time. minimal running with the rusty during. Time to get out there and see what they can do. Hopefully my wrench turning withdraws will go away. maybe, cause i will have to start fixing things now. Thanks everyone, Especially Gripdog Whom I would like to give a shout out to. SHOUT OUT... been a pleasure sharing ideas with ya, Thanks everyone for your participation...

ME IN A NUTSHELL

Last edited by lektro; 12-29-2017 at 08:17 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    I can only imagine that. I am not sure what type of grease it was but I put white lithium grease on as a substitute. If anyone know's this is wrong Please speak before I put her back together.

After taking the diff apart. Everything still looks pretty beefy. Not sure what the stock oil is but will leave it in there for now.

I use white lithium grease on my diffs too. It's worked fine for me over the last couple years.

RC Qualifier
    The best and easiest fix for high strength pins is something we all have laying around. When i shear a pin off the dog bone of my BE Maxx i dig through my scrap drill bits i keep broken or not. Punch the broken pin out measure the size i need check it in the cup cut the shank to length tap or press it in and i'm done. Super strong and the only ones that break now are the ones i haven't fixed. I hate spending $10. on a shaft that only has a broken pin, i can have it apart and back together in 20 min. It works great on diffs that have a cross pin in the spyder cup. Frugal not cheap lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    The best and easiest fix for high strength pins is something we all have laying around. When i shear a pin off the dog bone of my BE Maxx i dig through my scrap drill bits i keep broken or not. Punch the broken pin out measure the size i need check it in the cup cut the shank to length tap or press it in and i'm done. Super strong and the only ones that break now are the ones i haven't fixed. I hate spending $10. on a shaft that only has a broken pin, i can have it apart and back together in 20 min. It works great on diffs that have a cross pin in the spyder cup. Frugal not cheap lol
    Thats a great tip rain dawg, id never thought of that. Looks like im goina start hoarding the broken drill bits at work lol

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, why have down time running to the LHS when we already have the parts. Glad to help.

My down fall is no lhs. I have to order everything online and had to learn to tune my nitros with only help i could find or advise i got from many on here. I try to do as many quick fixes as i can and order extra of main parts that break lol

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I am done. Anyone know if there is a upgrade to the pin inside the diff like a metal bar with pins in the end. for strength?
    Think this is what you are talking about.....shame traxxas doesn't just sell the parts individually, but they are cheap anyways.

You can get the I Bar from this kit.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007KMPOTI..._XrduAbQQ5GQNC

And the metal tabs you can get from this one.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XQ5CLS..._WlduAbD5ZDS42

Think that will pretty much give you the same diff internals as the xo1 diffs.......or could just buy xo1 diffs I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ewalker302 View Post
    Think this is what you are talking about.....shame traxxas doesn't just sell the parts individually, but they are cheap anyways.

You can get the I Bar from this kit.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007KMPOTI..._XrduAbQQ5GQNC

And the metal tabs you can get from this one.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XQ5CLS..._WlduAbD5ZDS42

Think that will pretty much give you the same diff internals as the xo1 diffs.......or could just buy xo1 diffs I guess.
    I am thinking maybe i should have taken all the gears out of the diff now. I like the idea of a drill bit. So i take it that is the weak link in this diff. I did not know that. Guess i will be tearing it down again, front too. I want to make it as strong as i can before i even take it out for a run. Rain Dawg! do you know what size the pin is? No biggie if you don't as i will be tearing it down this weekend.

ewalker302 That is the piece I was talking about. I bar. Once i get it apart I will make my decision on which route to take.. Thanks gents!
    Last edited by lektro; 01-06-2018 at 01:41 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Qualifier
    No not off hand just measure with a set of calipers length and diameter. I have never had a drill bit break using them in the Emaxx's lol but go ahead and prove me wrong, i love em their in boxes all over my work bench. The best part is in the dog bones and they have never snapped only the stock ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    No not off hand just measure with a set of calipers length and diameter. I have never had a drill bit break using them in the Emaxx's lol but go ahead and prove me wrong, i love em their in boxes all over my work bench. The best part is in the dog bones and they have never snapped only the stock ones.
    Yeah I have a klein work bag that is full of bits. Might even take a newer solid colbalt bit and use that. I just love making things for my vehicles......
    Choose Life !!!

2 W T Fans. My final upgrade. Finished last night. Time for some bashing now................

Choose Life !!!

RC Competitor
    2 W T Fans. My final upgrade. Finished last night. Time for some bashing now................

Looking good! What esc are you running?

Looking good! What esc are you running?
    Thank you sir! The MambaX......

Last edited by lektro; 04-11-2018 at 06:51 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Competitor
    Thank you sir! The MambaX......

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on that motor/esc combo after the bash session...it will be a BEAST, no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by korelinlakes View Post
    I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on that motor/esc combo after the bash session...it will be a BEAST, no doubt!
    Cool I just noticed you are from Hampton Roads....
    Choose Life !!!

Stock diff weights are like 25 or 30w I belive in front, thicker in back like around 40w, i dont remember exactly tbh. I always go with 50w in front & rear. Seems to be a great middle ground. 100w is okay but Ive noticed slight handling issues when turning and coming out of turns in regards to the way bites and wants to straighten back out. Went to 50w pretty much on everything except SR and Summit. Hope this helps.Id just use the genuine Trx parts, with diff maintenance every 6-8 weeks, (depending on power & run times), mine have been rock solid. Im not going to lie I've grenaded a few XO-1 diffs in my time but like Ive said I run 4s-6s in mine.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 04-12-2018 at 01:50 AM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

Every thing here helps in one way or another Brian. I have done exactly what you have in your post, revo cup I bar and all. Even 50k in the front and rear. Thank you sir! I will be bashing mine this weekend since my rusty is out of commission for a while.....
    Choose Life !!!

Every thing here helps in one way or another Brian. I have done exactly what you have in your post, revo cup I bar and all. Even 50k in the front and rear. Thank you sir! I will be bashing mine this weekend since my rusty is out of commission for a while.....
    What happened to it?

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Choose Life !!!

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ouch!!!!! So sorry my friend!

RC Competitor
    Cool I just noticed you are from Hampton Roads....
    Yeah! would be cool to meet up some time and run our trucks. Do you have a good spot for bashing? I live near suffolk, and my schedule is pretty busy until May, but I usually manage to sneak off to Bennett's Creek Park and mess around for an hour or so on monday and friday mornings.

I would have to take a day from work, but sure i can make that happen. I live off 24th st at the beach. Been in this area my whole life. Lets make some plans.

I just can't stop adding things to my p4de. Put a on/ off switch on each fan so i could run one or both at the same time. I love it!

Choose Life !!!

RC Competitor
    Nice! I like that idea

Thank you korelinlakes! I am always looking at things I can add. The one switch is sitting on the servo. I use goop, all you gotta do is put it on both surfaces. Let sit for 2 minutes, stick together let set for 30 minutes. make sure the parts are still in place. Let sit overnight after which try and move it you will be surprised. A bond that will not come apart unless you want it to. The switch on top of servo is placed to where it will come off as part of the servo.

You can pry it apart if you have to and remove the goop (a hard task but doable) follow same for new locations.

If you want something to stay in place try it. awesome stuff!

Actually you can goop down straps also and they will not move

https://www.amainhobbies.com/wild-tu...**3416/p705265

https://www.amainhobbies.com/exotek-...756blk/p671640
    Last edited by lektro; 04-17-2018 at 07:39 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Qualifier
    I like the fans and the switch idea is the switch water proof I've been thinking of adding one rather then them coming on every time the esc powers up.

I like the fans and the switch idea is the switch water proof I've been thinking of adding one rather then them coming on every time the esc powers up.
    I do that with all the fans I install myself except the esc fans. I like the idea of, use when needed. Of course we all know, less battery drain.

Unfortunately they are not. Guess i should have put that in the equation when I purchased them. I won't be doing a whole bunch of running in wet conditions though. That's what I say anyhow. lol To be honest, I have never even looked for such an animal. Am sure they make them though.
    Last edited by lektro; 04-18-2018 at 07:26 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

In my experience they really dont affect runtimes that drastically to worry about it, plus by the time you pull it over, pop top, check temp and turn it on, it could already be overheated, so why not just leave running all the time. I think all my rc's have leds and wild turbo fans on esc and motors now except aluminum erbe 1.0 has dual HR fans on motor, and I get plenty of good run times outta 4s emax, 6s erbe 1.0, both 4s p4des, 2s slash, 4s summit, etc. Batts are in between 5000mah and 6700mah on all those. Id say a good 40+ min on most except 3s 5000mah which are for sr. Im just not seeing the need for switch lol but to each his own i guess. Wondering why did you put switch on, was it for power conservation? Just seems like a lot of work for such little gain. Have you taken test on it. Do an average week of run times without fan, than average a week with fans constantly on, then average week of using switch. Im very curious as to differences between all three.

Last edited by Briber; 04-18-2018 at 12:44 PM.

At the moment, all I have are 3s batteries that fit in my p4de. I would think having 3 fans on at once would take away some, run time. I really didn't do it for that though. I actually did it just because I could. As for a lot of work. That is definitely not how I look at it. . I guess you can call me Mr. Gadget...lol It will be a cold day in hades before I call it work...... just sayin!

As for my run time with and without the fans. I doubt I will ever have an answer on that. Sorry Brian.....
    Choose Life !!!

At the moment, all I have are 3s batteries that fit in my p4de. I would think having 3 fans on at once would take away some, run time. I really didn't do it for that though. I actually did it just because I could. As for a lot of work. That is definitely not how I look at it. . I guess you can call me Mr. Gadget...lol It will be a cold day in hades before I call it work...... just sayin!

As for my run time with and without the fans. I doubt I will ever have an answer on that. Sorry Brian.....
    Its all good, curiosity got the best of me, you know i ment no disrespect in my post buddy

I know that Brian! I would never look at it that way. Even if so, it would not bother me. Life is way to short to worry about things like that. I respect all you have to say sir... Got any extra batteries? Just kiddin.....
    Choose Life !!!

After saying this 5 times. I am finally done. My plan worked out really well.... Would have never happened if it wasn't for all you guys. Thanks!

Fans and switches done and man that was fun. Might use the fans for when i sleep tonight.. haha One more thing that can wait though. has to do with roughly 2" x 3 " aluminum plates. Custom made. Any guessers? They are not for batterie straps but that is not a bad idea and has been discussed here. Dang something else to do now...Dag nab it! Will it ever end. I hope not..

Roughly this size with cutouts
    Last edited by lektro; 04-18-2018 at 08:00 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

After saying this 5 times. I am finally done. My plan worked out really well.... Would have never happened if it wasn't for all you guys. Thanks!

Fans and switches done and man that was fun. Might use the fans for when i sleep tonight.. haha One more thing that can wait though. has to do with roughly 2" x 3 " aluminum plates. Custom made. Any guessers? They are not for batterie straps but that is not a bad idea and has been discussed here. Dang something else to do now...Dag nab it! Will it ever end. I hope not..

Roughly this size with cutouts
    Not sure what you mean about 2x3 plates. Are you in need of something like that. If so you can buy 6x6(i think was the size) of thin carbon fiber plates to cut and use for what you need. Dremel cutoff disk works, it does get pretty dusty working with it though.

Lektro, thats why I love this community we can come together with all different points of views and really hone certain aspects of the hobby to give best possible performance options and some really cool purely cosmetic ideas too without offending out fellow rc enthusiast and friend!

Last edited by Briber; 04-19-2018 at 07:47 AM.

I couldn't agree with you more Brian! The plates will be for over and under the fans so i can utilize all the holes in the fans and make them more rigid/sturdy...... I think this place is great!
    Choose Life !!!

Another post on the switches on my fans.......upon a close look, please tell me what else they might be good for?

Choose Life !!!