RC poster

Exclamation Help, Stampede Problems

So I just installed a Castle Creations SV3 combo into my Stampede 2wD and it has been working fine except for this problem: no matter how much I tighten and adjust the pinion and spur, every time I accelerate, the pinion strips out the spur from not gripping it correctly(The pinion and Spur are stock). Also when I was running the Pede, the wheel nut melted into the rim plastic and now i cannot get the nut out, please help. Im trying not to damage the driveshafts because I just got some MIPS and I dont want to ruin them. I think these problems above are why the esc overheats, im running a 5200 mah nimh battery. Thank You

Maybe the gear mesh was not set properly is what it sounds like to me. Did you use loctite on the motor screws when you installed it. the motor could have moved also. Any screw, nut that is metal to metal needs loctite. If not, the noise pitch will loosen some screws. Are you saying the actual rim of the tire and nut are fused together?

If that's the case the only thing to loosen that is the very same thing that made it fuse together.... "Heat" from friction. Maybe a small torch very carefully.
    Last edited by lektro; 01-01-2018 at 07:55 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    No, I did not use Loctite on the motor screws, would that help by any chance?

Yes sir it would. I use blue loctite on all screws that are metal into metal. That is a general rule of all rc vehicles.Better safe than sorry. You should also let it set up for 24 hours before running. Did you get it apart? Another question, Are you familiar with how to set the gear mesh?
    Last edited by lektro; 01-01-2018 at 11:21 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    What do you mean by get it apart? And yes I am familiar with setting the gear mesh.

When doing the gear mesh make sure the spur gear is rotated at least 360 so you can set mesh at the tightest spot. The gears may look round. They aren't.
    I never use loctite on motor screws. The motor heats up and softens the threadlock. Each to their own I guess and it can't hurt using it.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Trentbaby65 View Post
    When doing the gear mesh make sure the spur gear is rotated at least 360 so you can set mesh at the tightest spot. The gears may look round. They aren't.
    I never use loctite on motor screws. The motor heats up and softens the threadlock. Each to their own I guess and it can't hurt using it.
    Alright thanks, ill try that that might help the gear mesh setup, But I used loctite on my motor screws and it seems to be helping, I guess each motor and rc is different.

RC poster
    Can one of you guys also tell me how to remove a rounded out wheel nut?

RC Qualifier
    Have you tried a pair of needle nosed vise grips ?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Have you tried a pair of needle nosed vise grips ?
    Yes but the hole in the wheel is to small, they are traxxas talon rear stampede wheels(2wd)

RC Racer
    I would say if the nut is rounded it is time for a Dremel. It won't be pretty and you'l probably have to buy a new wheel and nut.
    Also sounds like something is not aligned correctly if stuff is getting hot enough to melt the wheel.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

If you have a 1/4" drive socket set in imperial (not metric) maybe you can force (with a hammer) a slightly to small socket on the nut. You might wreck the socket but it's way cheaper than new wheels.
    Might want find out why the nut welded itself to the wheel. Bearings maybe?
    Last edited by Trentbaby65; 01-04-2018 at 10:57 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
    I would say if the nut is rounded it is time for a Dremel. It won't be pretty and you'l probably have to buy a new wheel and nut.
    Also sounds like something is not aligned correctly if stuff is getting hot enough to melt the wheel.
    Would this damage the drive shafts if done correctly?

RC poster

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Trentbaby65 View Post
    If you have a 1/4" drive socket set in imperial (not metric) maybe you can force (with a hammer) a slightly to small socket on the nut. You might wreck the socket but it's way cheaper than new wheels.
    Might want find out why the nut welded itself to the wheel. Bearings maybe?
    Sounds like a good idea, ill try that

Quote Originally Posted by munecob12 View Post
    Would this damage the drive shafts if done correctly?
    Quite possibly.
    I would only get out the dremel as an absolute last resort.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    Maybe the gear mesh was not set properly is what it sounds like to me. Did you use loctite on the motor screws when you installed it. the motor could have moved also. Any screw, nut that is metal to metal needs loctite. If not, the noise pitch will loosen some screws. Are you saying the actual rim of the tire and nut are fused together?

If that's the case the only thing to loosen that is the very same thing that made it fuse together.... "Heat" from friction. Maybe a small torch very carefully.
    Hmm sounds like it could work, ill try the torch

RC Competitor
    May be easier.....better access to disassemble it as far as you can. Take the bearing carrier off the arm, with better access, you may be able to minimize damage while removing the wheel

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Quote Originally Posted by ewalker302 View Post
    May be easier.....better access to disassemble it as far as you can. Take the bearing carrier off the arm, with better access, you may be able to minimize damage while removing the wheel
    Gonna be hard to get the pin out ove the arm. Rim will be in the way.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...