RC poster

Exclamation Rear/Front tire sizes and a broken transmission, Nitro slash 2wd

SO... I have a rear wheel drive nitro slash and it has stiff rear springs and soft front ones. its used in about a 50/50 balance of pavement and dirt driving. i added larger tires on the rear and then soon after broke the transmission. is this because of the larger rear tires? please help SOON thanks.

How big of tires? What broke in the transmission? There may be more of a coincidence than a cause/effect.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    The tires were '2.8" (Traxxas Style Bead) All Terrain Tires', and the piece that broke was the 70 tooth spur gear was stripped into a wheel and friction pegs melted and sprayed all across the inside of the car. hope this helps

RC Qualifier
    To me it sounds like maybe your gear mesh wasn't set properly, maybe to loose maybe to tight, throw on a new spur gear and set it using the paper method and run it again but keep your eye on it. Check to make sure your slipper clutch is adjusted to the terrain your driving. Tighten all the way then back it off 1/4 to a 1/2 turn, hope this helps.

RC poster
    ill try that as soon as the new parts come in. i destroyed the clutch when a rock got into the flywheel and i dint see, so we thought the engine was damaged, but then it got damaged. oops

RC poster
    most likely all your grease spun out of your rear diff. It happens. They're not sealed in the slightest. Ive gone through 2 rear diffs and finally engineered a sealed diff for it. Takes some work but once you watch a few how to videos its a breeze

If your spur gear melted, your slipper clutch was slipping
    When you install the new spur gear, install all 12 pegs instead of just six
    Make sure your mesh is good
    Tighten your slipper all the way down, and then back it out about an 1/8th of a turn.
    The 2.8 tires are not to big, they just probably go better traction, and caused your slipper to slip to much
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec