RC Enthusiast

3-Axis Gimbal Review Coming!

So I recently sold my 2 Axis Traxxas gimbal. Itís not capable of balancing out with a GoPro Hero5/6. I have a Hero5 after selling my Hero 3+Black. The 5 is better in every way. So I was looking for a way to use a Gimbal on the Aton. Right now I can fly with the Hero5 using its built in image stabilization but itís no replacement for a Gimbal.

So the search began.

Requirements meant it has to be easily mounted and removed. Narrowed it down to 3 wearable models.
    Evo SS
    Removu S1
    Feiyu Tech WG2

The former 2 are water resistant. The Evo is not. All are 3 axis. The Removu comes with a handheld grip with controller. But even with grip off, itís heavy, 400g. The Evo is about 240g but lacks any waterproofing. The WG2 is more basic in controls having just a single button. However itís waterproof and also only 265grams. So with the 118g Hero5, still less than the Removu alone. The waterproof (ip67) was important to me as the Gimbal will be used on a kayak and probably some wake surfing too.

So I purchased the WG2 and will be using that mounted to the standard Gopro camera mount on the Aton. I will follow up with a review covering the Gimbal itself, particularly comparing footage of the Hero 5 on the Aton with and without image stabilization and with the Gimbal. Also test flight times with the extra weight. Lots to come, so stay tuned.

I think this Gimbal could make a great solution over the standard 2 axis since it does not appear that Traxxas will be releasing a 3 axis anytime soon. My hope is this will still give me 15-20 Min of flight time. The image should be easily as good or better than a phantom or Mavic Pro with a 3 axis stabilized Gopro.

RC Enthusiast
    Pretty interested to see how it comes out!!

Subscribed!

RC Qualifier
    Very interested in your findings.
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC poster
    I was able to mount the WG2X gimbal on the bottom of the drone.. works great.. its also 40g lighter than the 2 axis gimbal..

RC Qualifier
    Pictures/video?
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    Pictures/video?
    it doesnt let me add pictures of the gimbal to this site.. i have pictures.. wont let me upload them.. here is the video i did.. drone was in video mode.. not the other modes.. i will try one of those in the next couple of days.. anyway.. here is the vid.. at the end.. i spun the drone.. and did a full stick forward.. and back.. to see how it would look with the gimbal.. also in the air.. i did some full left right leans as well..

https://youtu.be/34rQpna0k3o
    Last edited by dgrobe2112; 07-01-2019 at 10:14 AM.