Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Issue?

Now that you got everything working, you should do as I suggested above. Get yourself a dedicated device, and don't do DLC's unless you have to due to getting something new not covered on your present app. Yes, it will cost you a few bucks, but will be a bargain compared to the time and money lost trying to get though an update problem.

My left transmitter, I use for my Spartans. It hasn't been updated in years, and still works great. You can tell its' old by the Lightning adapter and docking station. My right transmitter is what I had to go to for all my other transmitters (as explained above) due to accidently downloading an update to my device that didn't want to work with the Traxxas app (which is what you just experienced).

My right transmitter has the Traxxas Link system and hasn't been updated since Traxxas corrected their app to go along with my device's update that started my problem. This was when the Traxxas Link first came out several years ago, and all my Transmitter that use that device all work great too. I haven't and won't update either one of my devices unless I do what I said above and quoted myself below.

1). Don't use/depend on a mobile phone for your telemetry
    2). Use a dedicated Apple iPod/iPad for your telemetry
    3). Once telemetry works, no updates to either your mobile device or your Traxxas app (Wi-Fi off)
    4). If you feel you have to update your app or mobile device, update an extra mobile device first. From there use your newly updated mobile device or app to update an extra Tx and Rx. If everything works out right with them, then/only then update all your other RC vehicles.

Anyway, you don't have to do as I did, but each time you update your device you'll be taking a chance of not having telemetry in any of you vehicles. For me, having all my land/water vehicles using the Traxxas telemetry system; not having anything work right due to a device DLC was unacceptable. So, the above quote was how I ensured no more stupid software problems that I can't control. Good Luck!
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-17-2018 at 06:18 PM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you ReglarGuy went to make sure both transmitters had updated app's and there was a new version
    5.7.3.8849 updated on Feb.13.2018. I downloaded it to 1 device and once i made sure it worked shutting everything on and off a dozen times and all gauges worked i did updates on the other 2 devices so if something should go wrong in the future i'll continue to do like you said and only download it to 1 device and go from there.
    Thanks again

You are very welcome.

RC Qualifier
    It seems a comedy of errors...especially for me.

I have the first ipod touch...so old it doesn't even have bluetooth....lol. So that's out.
    I have an ipad....a little heavy to sit on top the tx...not convenient for telemetry readings.....out.
    I have a Samsung J3...everything works perfect....except no telemetry. I run 4 trucks off one tx and make my settings on the phone. But that's it. At least it's better than that awful menu tree.

A dedicated ipod costs $110's of dollars....I could get a whole new truck for that!

Meanwhile I bought some $3 low voltage alarms, and will wait for Traxxas to catch up with Androids.

Looking at older brochures, Traxxas designed this all to work with Apple products only and Android devices is an afterthought patch.

RC Qualifier
    I'm running the Samsung Galaxy A5 which is android and yes i had issues earlier but everything is working including telemetry with all sensors and gauges, and my tx and rx were flashed before i had app problems but the first update Feb.7. fixed all of that and no issues with this one last night.

You think $110.00 is alot out here a refurbished ipod is $250. used are $100.to $150. but what condition are they really in and do you have to pay to unlock them.
    I hope you get yours sorted out and working.

A dedicated ipod costs $110's of dollars....I could get a whole new truck for that!
    But! As I stated above, it's a whole lot cheaper (in the long run) than having to chase down DLC problems, or not being able to use already invested telemetry equipment. For me, my free time is much better spent on playing, rather than on me peeing my time away on problems I didn't initiate. That's just me though, as a ReglarGuy, I always setup for max fun and min problems.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-18-2018 at 03:21 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    hey @regularGuy how did you get your iPhone 6 to work in the dock. I can only get my 4 to work. I'm tried using apple adapter but still says device not compatible .

Hey RegularGuy, how did you get your iPhone 6 to work in the dock?
    My two devises are not an iPhone. They are both iPod 5's. The one on the left uses the Traxxas docking station to link and secure it to my transmitter. The one on the right uses the docking base I made, Velcro to secure, Bluetooth to connect to my transmitter.

RC Enthusiast
    oh ok thanks

RC Qualifier
    So far the only real telemetry interest is volts and temp. Charging tells me the starting volts, and a $4 voltage alarm would tell me when voltage is low.

For the money, I'll wait for a true patch fix....t's got to happen at some point for my phone.

For the money, I'll wait for a true patch fix....t's got to happen at some point for my phone.
    Your right on that. What's nice about having dedicated devices is, once working a person doesn't have to worry about any future updates screwing them over anymore....ahhh, peace of mind. I love it!
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-19-2018 at 02:08 PM.

So far, the only real telemetry interest is volts and temp.
    You mention above how you substituted for not having telemetry voltage monitoring, but not temp. Temp monitoring was the sole reason for why I went to telemetry. Before it was available (at a reasonable price), I had two motors burn up on me. One cost me a hundred bucks to square away, and the other cost me 400 bucks to square away.

For me, having telemetry temp monitoring was cheaper than running blind, and accidentally burning up a motor or ESC. And, having Traxxas telemetry was cheaper (and was nicer) than the other telemetry systems that I seen. There's that ol' saying " Pay a little now or a lot later, but either way you're going to pay."

Now, with my telemetry temp alarms all set, I can play (run as hard as I want) worry free. If an alarm goes off, I can stop what I'm doing to see what's causing the problem.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-24-2018 at 05:06 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Well...hopefully the next patch will let me use what I paid for.

Of course, the BL setup runs much cooler. And setups like the 4ted....so tight in there no room to put in aheat sink.

So conservative running works for now.

What's a BL setup?

RC Qualifier
    Just updated my 4th device to the link app and everything went good, so I now have 2 dedicated devices that will only be used and the others for backup should anything go wrong with any future updates.

Telemetry alarms for the motor temp and the esc temp are all set, now I just need to find more time to drive lol.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    What's a BL setup?
    Just mean Brushless....My Velineon setups run so much cooler than the brushed motors and the battery is also so much cooler after a run.
    Slash VXL, Stampede VXL, 4tec VXL ,Bandit VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Your question has shed some light on my issue. The Link won't connect to my Galaxy s7 edge but it did connect to my ipod 5. Thank you for accidentally pointing that out for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12