Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Issue?

RC Racer

New Issue?

From reading in these forums I know about many having to return
    their bluetooth module to Traxxas for an update. And my Note8 won't connect via bluetooth either. However, my older phone (S5) will connect and everything works perfectly fine (i.e., speed gauge using the installed RPM sensor).

The new issue (I think it's new) is when I close the Traxxas Link app on my S5 and reopen it. The speed gauge won't work at all. Everything else in the app works, I can use "Training Mode" adjust servo settings, throttle, etc. but if I go into "Dashboard" and hit the throttle, none of the gauges move. Traxxas support told me to uninstall the app and reinstall it again. This worked! But again, when I closed the app, it won't work. I tried calling Traxxas back but they had closed.

Again, this is on my old phone AND it all works at first, after I install the app but then after I close the app ONLY the speed gauges don't work. So is this a new issue? Do I still need to send Traxxas my bluetooth module?
    Last edited by Nickerz; 01-05-2018 at 01:32 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Wow i just went through the same thing tonight but at 3 pm pacific and they had closed we drove it Monday but never connected to the phone. Tonight it connects but no speed gauge battery comes on volts come on but no speed or rpm. I was going to call in the morning i'm not impressed with these updates don't release them if they don't work. I even had a 2nd sensor for speed that i took out of the package and it never worked.

RC Qualifier
    Up date contacted Traxxas they said to uninstall app from my phone and then reinstall. Everything now works i shut everything off turn it all back on it connects and now speed and rpm all work again. Thanks Traxxas

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Up date contacted Traxxas they said to uninstall app from my phone and then reinstall. Everything now works i shut everything off turn it all back on it connects and now speed and rpm all work again. Thanks Traxxas
    Thanks for posting your update! What mobile device do you have and what operating system are you running?

I have an update too but unfortunately mine still has issues. I called Traxxas just now and one tech asked me to restart my phone after I uninstall the app. He said sometimes clearing out the cash could help but I still have the same problem. I uninstalled the app, pulled the battery out, waited a little over 1 minute, reinstalled it...everything worked! Closed the app, reopened it and the gauges don't work. My Samsung Galaxy S5 is running Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 btw and my Note8 is running Nougat 7.1.1 (which won't even connect to bluetooth).

See my youtube video I just made testing this out...

https://youtu.be/CkhF1g8-IoY

So I called back and rep said he hasn't heard of this issue only the one where the phone won't connect at all but he suggested I send my bluetooth module in to be reflashed. At least I'll be able to use it on my Note8 but now I'm curious if the this different issue will be fixed for my S5. ??? So they emailed me an RMA # and I'll be sending it in and will update this thread.

P.S. I was messing around with the Training Mode feature and I guess when this is enabled, the radio LED flashes green. The manual doesn't mention this anywhere. Only red flashing or solid red/green on page 15. Found out I needed to disable training mode and it worked fine. The both techs didn't know this and said it was my batteries getting too low.

RC Qualifier
    I have a Samsung Galaxy A5 android but in the summer i had to send my transmitter in to get flashed, and i sent in my blue tooth module in about 2 months ago to get it flashed. But when i did the recommended shut down and uninstall and reinstall everything is working perfectly no matter how many times i shut the entire system off and turn it back on. In another thread i put up i was asking what the box in the support was that had Top Secret on it but after i did the uninstall and reinstall it disappeared.
    So now i have a helicopter circling my house and theirs two guys in black suits at the door should i answer it. HAHA sorry i couldn't resist. So did yours end up working ?

Rain Dawg! If those guys in the black suits ask for your signature for any reason, don't give it to them.....
    Choose Life !!!

RC Qualifier
    HAHA sorry i couldn't resist but i am curious did something show up on my support app that showed 5 boxes of which one said Top Secret and when i opened it their was all kinds of boxes in there to check or uncheck. Just asking does anybody know.

RC Racer
    HAHA sorry i couldn't resist but i am curious did something show up on my support app that showed 5 boxes of which one said Top Secret and when i opened it their was all kinds of boxes in there to check or uncheck. Just asking does anybody know.
    Lol... now that's hilarious! Glad yours is working. Mine will ship tomorrow (Sat) and I'll update this thread when I get it back. Hopefully this fixes it!

RC Qualifier
    So it looks as if this firmware update still has bugs or issues of some kind. When i went to the Traxxas app and opened and linked trans, and receiver the speed and tach never worked after talking to a tech at Traxxas i was told to uninstall the app and then reinstall i did and it worked great no more problems.This was on Jan.5 2018
    Today i connected and again no speed and no tach, I uninstalled-reinstalled it worked but every time i shut down and close app nothing works when i start up again. I have to uninstall-reinstall to make it work I've recently had both my transmitter and my blue tooth module flashed. These updates are not working and it needs a faster fix then a tech telling me today that it's the first he's heard of this and if that's the case theirs a lack of communication in the tech dept. and it should be addressed and at the least we should have an option to go back to the previous version until this is resolved.

RC Racer
    I'm still waiting on my bluetooth module to come back from Traxxas. I'll update this thread to see if I still have this issue after the update. If I do, then this is a whole new issue that Traxxas isn't aware of! Seems like nothing but problems with equipment. Their RPM sensor to measure MPH isn't worth a darn either! 91MPH on my stock 2WD Slahs...yeah right!

RC Qualifier
    So got an email from customer support today, said they hadn't encountered this in customer service and have forwarded it to the engineering dept so they can take it into account on the next app update.
    Is it just me or does it seem like there's a lack of communication between all the dept's at Traxxas and i still don't understand why it isn't possible to go back to a previous update until bugs are worked out.

RC Racer
    Is there a lack of communication or lack of care? I don’t think anyone who works for Traxxas cares to really read these threads. I don’t think they really care to see what their customers are talking about.

I haven’t heard anything from Traxxas support on this issue except, “we’ll roll this up to the correct department”.

This update is horrible to say the least. Has anyone had a positive experience from this update?

RC Racer

Traxxas Confirmation Email...

Quote Originally Posted by TLXtreme View Post
    Is there a lack of communication or lack of care? I don’t think anyone who works for Traxxas cares to really read these threads. I don’t think they really care to see what their customers are talking about.

I haven’t heard anything from Traxxas support on this issue except, “we’ll roll this up to the correct department”.

This update is horrible to say the least. Has anyone had a positive experience from this update?
    I agree, Traxxas doesn't seem to care. There seem to be more problems lately getting their stuff to work properly (i.e., Traxxas Link app, bluetooth module issue, X-Maxx ESC issue, etc.).

Today I received an email from them confirming they "fixed" my bluetooth module and they are sending it back to me (see screenshot below). When I get it, I'll be sure to update this thread to see if...

1. It works with my Note8 running (OS 7.1.1)
    2. Will it work with my S5 (running (OS 6.0.1) - This is a new issue...it connects but closing the app disables some features and you have to uninstall/reinstall to get it to work and as soon as you close the app, the problem starts over again.

#2 above seems to be a new issue which Rain Dawg still has. So I'm really interested to see if both of these issues are resolved.

RC Racer
    I saw that there was an update this evening. I was ecstatic and hopeful that this was the patch we were all waiting for. Unfortunately, this patch has done nothing but gt my hopes up. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled and still the same issue. Thought someone was actually paying attention.

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas now wants me to send in my transmitters and blue tooth module and receiver into them again even though this was already done and sent back to me 1st week of Dec. They still insist my complaint is the first they have heard of in customer service with the RPM and the SPEED not working true or false ?

RC Racer
    Traxxas now wants me to send in my transmitters and blue tooth module and receiver into them again even though this was already done and sent back to me 1st week of Dec. They still insist my complaint is the first they have heard of in customer service with the RPM and the SPEED not working true or false ?
    I’ve emailed them multiple times about that same issue.

RC Racer
    Yep, and tell them to check their recorded calls from 1/5/18 between 4pm-5pm PST for a Nick who called in and spoke to...
    1. Chris
    2. Wayne
    3. Vance (?)
    ...in that order. They helped trouble shoot my issue but ultimately I had to send in my module. Chris asked me to try something after uninstalling and reinstalling the app but that didn't work so I then called back. See my post above (#4)...

RC poster
    I have the exact same problem on note 8 so this looks like it is not isolated cases. Also reviews on the play store also mention this exact issue. Hopefully they sort it very soon.

RC poster
    Update - I have just tried the link app on my wife's iPhone and everything works as it should so this is definitely an android problem, I suspect just with the app itself. Hopefully an update to the app with just bug fixes sorts it out. I will raise a ticket with traxxas support so they have another log of this issue on their system. They need to sort this out asap as it's so annoying .

RC Qualifier
    Sort of a fix,I was told to load a Slash on to my phone in place of my BL Emaxx i did and all gauges work. I go back into select, load e maxx tires start turning at 2000 rpm i have to unplug it to stop it. I reload Slash everything works so i load a second BL Emaxx and all gauges work i shut phone and everything completely off turn it back on Slash has all 4 gauges working, i delete the first E maxx load second all gauges work. Confused yet, if i have the Slash VXL LCG loaded with a BL Emaxx i can alternate between the 2 to get all my gauges working rather then the uninstall and reinstall still a pain but faster then loading and unloading.

Now another issue is i hooked up my telemetry expander it loads and green light is on rpm and speed work no volt or temp refresh still nothing. Disconnect hook up the receiver volt and temp it works redo with the expander no temp or volt but rpm and speed. Considering my BT Module and Transmitter were reflashed and sent back and received Dec.5.2017. The update occurred first week of Jan.2018 does this meen every time there is an update we need a reflash.

RC poster
    Hi Rain_Dawg,

This fix works for me, Like you say, it is not ideal but it is a work around from the uninstalling fix which is a ball ache.

I work in electronics so understand a little about the EC(embedded controller) or firmware to you and me and the O.S. (the app) . This issue looks like it is with the app rather than any firmware so I am hopeful that the next update should be quick as it should just be a piece of code which needs updating within the app. This is why when loading a slash it all works and always does, if the firmware was broken it would usually mean nothing would work, a bit like when we had the bluetooth issue with android in the summer.

We will wait and see but this should be a quick fix in the app.....................I hope.

RC Qualifier
    Glad to hear i even tried the bl rustler last night and it works to. Found an old 2014 thread on deleting and reinstalling the gauges to get the expander to work so i'll be trying that in a bit. I'm not into sending all my stuff in to Traxxas unless i really have to.
    The tip on the swap was from another member so it's a big thank you to him.
    I can toggle back to my original Truck and it will work there just a couple of switches but no uninstall- reinstall
    Last edited by Rain Dawg; 01-22-2018 at 11:03 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Ok so now everything works and telemetry expander gauges work volts and temp. So after finding some old Traxxas threads (I know i've been critical of Traxxas but thank you for the forums) mid July 2015 I removed all of my gauges off the dashboard that's when the smart sensor's showed up under telemetry setup added them and everything works. So now instead of using a different vehicle i just added a 2nd BL Emaxx and did the same thing with the gauges on that one, deleted them all then added them all. So now when i start up and the gauges don't read i go to select switch E maxx's and all gauges work.

Sounds like a pain but realistically it takes a few seconds and beats uninstall and reinstall and like Revo Ross stated hopefully it's in the app and this gets sorted out quickly and i hope this shortcuts any other members having the same issue.

Special thanks to the guy who's pm's have helped alot (with chainsaws it's spark or fuel with computers not so much but i'm learning)

When Traxxas first came out with telemetry it was only able to be used with Apple iPhones and IPods. The first problem that came up was with the guys who were using iPhones. They would have problems with their app when receiving a phone call or email. It took several months, but Traxxas did revolve the problem.

I went with an iPod (during this time), because I didn't need a mobile phone, and even if I did, I didn't want to have the problems that the iPhone was having. I felt, having seven RC vehicles using the Traxxas telemetry system, I wanted to minimize having any problems that I couldn't resolve on my own.

The next problem that came up was when Apple had an update for their phones and pods. When my wife updated my iPod nothing with my Traxxas app worked. Traxxas was aware of the problem, and several months later it was fixed. Unfortunately, once an mobile device is updated you can't go back and in-update it. The only thing I could do (if I didn't want to wait months on Traxxas) was to buy another iPod that didn't have the latest update. So, that's what I did.

Now, I had two iPods; one that worked and one that didn't. Eventually (as I said before) Traxxas did fix their app, and when they did I had two working iPods. During all this, I'm learning about how things work with all this mobile device stuff. I'm learning that Traxxas and Apple don't communicate at all about updates. That means, that everything with my Traxxas telemetry could be working great until I get/do an update to my iPod or Traxxas app.

What I decided to do was no more updating, and not doing so all worked great until I accidently got a hold of someone's Wi-Fi. When this happened, I mistakenly took the message for something other than an update. Well, guess what happened....my iPod and then my truck got updated. Anyway, when the update finished my telemetry was working, but not working right. The problem was I had to update the Traxxas app too, and when I did my newly updated iPod and app wouldn't work right with my Transmitter's docking bases.

What I had to do was, I had to change all my Transmitters from docking base models to Bluetooth transmitters. I also, (keep in mind that all this mobile device crap has been a learning experience for me) had to turn off my iPods Wi-Fi to keep this problem from happening again. Anyway, it's been several years since I had those problems, but from them I can tell you four things that will make your telemetry less expensive and more reliable.

1). Don't use/depend on a mobile phone for your telemetry
    2). Use a dedicated Apple iPod/iPad for your telemetry
    3). Once telemetry works, no updates to either your mobile device or your Traxxas app (Wi-Fi off)
    4). If you feel you have to update your app or mobile device, update an extra mobile device first. From there use your newly updated mobile device or app to update an extra Tx and Rx. If everything works out right with them, then/only then update all your other RC vehicles.

In closing, I watched that above video, and I've had that happen to me every once in a while. I don't know if this will help, but, what I do is I close the Traxxas telemetry app, turn off my transmitter, turn on my app and its' dashboard, and then turn my transmitter back on.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-23-2018 at 07:27 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Racer

Traxxas Confirmation Email...

I read the work arounds you posted and this is really interesting! I can't test any of them (and hope I don't have to) since I don't have my bluetooth module back from Traxxas yet. But I should get it later this week and will update everyone if this fixes my issue with both my Note8 and older S5. Here's the updated email from them...

RC Racer

Got My Bluetooth Module Back From Traxxas...STILL DOESN'T WORK RIGHT!

I got my BT module back today from Traxxas. They're really frustrating...

So here's what's going on with my Android phones (you can view the 2 youtube video at the bottom)...

Note8 - It finally connected via bluetooth (which it didn't before) so the reflashing fixed that issue. But the RPM & MPH gauges don't do anything. Nothing! ????

Galaxy S5 - Same, nothing different. It always connected (before I sent them my BT module) but the issue was when I closed the app, the RPM & MPH gauges stop working. So then I tried the work-around mentioned above and this gets it to work. I simply add another vehicle, then select it (in the Vehicle Selection), then select "Make Slash Active" (see pic below) and after I do this it reestablishes connection and the gauges work fine! Sure beats having to uninstall and reinstall the app, so thanks Rain Dawg for the tip above! Talk about glitchy!!!!

It's frustrating though to wait this long and the Traxxas app is still very glitchy, then when you call in about it, the techs don't know about the issues, they tell you to send it to them and act like all will be fine but it's not. I wasted a lot of time and paid to send them my bluetooth module and nothing changed other than my Note8 now connects but it still doesn't work....what the point!?

By the way, thank you to the tech "rrhoades" for COMPLETELY ignoring my request for a replacement screw. I made it CRYSTAL clear and highlighted it in my letter if they could please send me a new one. Even if they couldn't, at least acknowledge it but he probably didn't even read it although they put my letter back in the box with the other paperwork...

Videos...
    https://youtu.be/x5SRsFqtLn8

https://youtu.be/suN5lM7Mq68

RC Qualifier
    Sorry to hear it's still giving you issues, did your note 8 work ? I'm not sure if you saw above where now i have 2 BL Emaxx's on instead of another vehicle just so the gearing stay's the same when i'm running. I was sent an e mail stating it would have to wait until the next update and i have no idea how often updates happen.
    The only issue with my gauges right now is the volts are reading 402. volts which is way out in left field but i can live with that for now and hope this all sorts out on the next update.

RC Racer

Note8 Update...

I spoke to Traxxas yesterday (Chris-VERY nice guy) and he suggested I uninstall the Traxxas Link App from my Note8, clear the cache and then power off my phone and wait for 1 minute before powering it on again. Then reinstall the app and see if my RPH & MPH gauges work. It did! Unfortunately, when I close the app and reopen it again, the gauges stop working but again, the work-around fixes this issue when I select another model and go back to my Slash. So still glitchy with Android software and hopefully they get this sorted out.

Chris did another great and generous thing for me and I can't thank Traxxas enough for having great tech support techs like Chris. This guy gets it and an entire call center can be built around him. You can read about it in the thread below...

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6430108

RC Qualifier
    Hi all, new here. I got my bluetooth module today and linked it to my Samsung Galaxy J3 Eclipse. It worked great and bound to 3 trucks. I was promped by the app for a firmware update which was done thru the app and bluetooth. One update for the TQi tx, and one update for each truck. It all worked perfect.

I don't have any telemetry yet, so the jury is out on that as of yet.

RC Qualifier
    Update:

I hooked up the telemetry on my 4tec. voltage/ temp. As of now nothing. i reinstalled the gauges and still nothing. Then I switched from my 4 tec to my Slash which was already in my TQi model memory, yet I had to manually re-bind so the tx would recognize it. So still experiencing some bugs...

I read many comments on amazon where the telemetry problem seems to be in the Samsung update which upgraded some type of virus protection which locks out the telemetry. I assume there will be an update that fixes this at some point?

Q: If I uninstall the app on my Samsung, does that mean I lose all my model memory settings? Does that mean I have to rebind all 4 vehicles back to my tx?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GT Joe View Post
    Update:

I hooked up the telemetry on my 4tec. voltage/ temp. As of now nothing. i reinstalled the gauges and still nothing. Then I switched from my 4 tec to my Slash which was already in my TQi model memory, yet I had to manually re-bind so the tx would recognize it. So still experiencing some bugs...

I read many comments on amazon where the telemetry problem seems to be in the Samsung update which upgraded some type of virus protection which locks out the telemetry. I assume there will be an update that fixes this at some point?

Q: If I uninstall the app on my Samsung, does that mean I lose all my model memory settings? Does that mean I have to rebind all 4 vehicles back to my tx?
    Yes, if you uninstall the app and reinstall it you lose all of the settings, model memory, etc. The work-around is to simply add another model. See my post #26 above (1st pic & 2nd video) which may help...

Quote Originally Posted by Nickerz View Post
    Yes, if you uninstall the app and reinstall it you lose all of the settings, model memory, etc. The work-around is to simply add another model. See my post #26 above (1st pic & 2nd video) which may help...

Nick,
    I've uninstalled and reinstalled without losing any settings, only the dashboard.
    The drive effects and memory are stored in the transmitter, not the app. iirc.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2 View Post
    Nick,
    I've uninstalled and reinstalled without losing any settings, only the dashboard.
    The drive effects and memory are stored in the transmitter, not the app. iirc.
    Is this recently? I've done it and all that info is reset to default settings, losing info like model memory and settings. I just called Traxxas tech support, spoke to Dan and he confirmed the same thing. He said when you uninstall and reinstall the app, it is like installing it for the first time and all settings are put back to default. Heck, I even remember the setting I changed so that the intro video won't pop up when you start the app...when I reinstalled it the video started playing again which is the default settings. Dan also went and confirmed this with his night shift manager... and that's been my experience.

For example, the app overrides the settings in the Tx. So if you set the Tx for TSM to 50% and the app default is 0% when you reinstall TSM will be 0% not 100%. Hope that helps...

RC Qualifier
    Well, today I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. all 4 models were still stored in the app....since they read from the tx.

But the individual settings like throttle trim, etc were back to default. And the stupid intro video came back on...had to undo it.

But telemetry still didn't work...even though the TQi had an update today. Someday Traxxas will fix this I hope.

RC Qualifier
    The update was 100% successfully installed (5.7.2) all gauges working and telemetry is working, smart sensors are all reading true measurements. I shut everything off completely and powered everything all back on and no more work around thank you Traxxas.

RC Racer

I think They Fixed The App!!!

Hey GT Joe, I went to test it myself right now and I was going to uninstall the app. I noticed there was an update pending, so I updated it and the first thing I tested was to see if I still needed to use the work-around. I don't! So then I used my S5 (different phone using the old app version) and it didn't work but then after updating the app on my S5 it works!

So not sure if this fixed other issues they were having but the settings definitely get wiped on a reinstall.

Here are some pics and a video..IT FINALLY WORKS LIKE IT SHOULD!!!!! THANKS TRAXXAS!!!

Old App Version...

New App Version...

***EDIT***
    Oh yeah, here's a quick video...
    https://youtu.be/Dv1_nLsR0Ao
    Last edited by Nickerz; 02-08-2018 at 12:31 AM.

RC Racer
    The update was 100% successfully installed (5.7.2) all gauges working and telemetry is working, smart sensors are all reading true measurements. I shut everything off completely and powered everything all back on and no more work around thank you Traxxas.
    It works Rain Dawg!!!
    I didn't see your post at first but must have been working on mine but it works like you said!!!!

Now to get that RPM sensor to be more accurate but ya can't have it all - lol!!!!!!

RC Racer
    Still no luck. All the sensors seems to be working but when I give it full throttle, the app crashes like the previous version. I will uninstall and try again. Hopefully that will solve it for me

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickerz View Post
    It works Rain Dawg!!!
    I didn't see your post at first but must have been working on mine but it works like you said!!!!

Now to get that RPM sensor to be more accurate but ya can't have it all - lol!!!!!!
    Do you have the spur with the magnet holder or do you have the 2 different size holders that mount to the spur. I never had a good reading with the large magnet holder so i put the smaller one on and it's within a couple of miles an hour of the phone gps (still waiting on my back ordered Traaxxas gps) for what it's worth not saying the phone is 100% accurate.

RC Qualifier
    Hey Knickerz...that's good news! I'll check my setup again to make sure the telemetry works. Maybe I need to put in a topped off battery to get the voltage reading anything. I was just stuffing in a battery I had laying around to see if I got anything. But even a not fully charged battery should read something.

I'm just running a volt/temp gauge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast