RC Racer

Just picked up a new "slash" Rally

Just picked up a new Traxxas Slash Rally. I've owned Slashes in the past, and this was kind of an impulse buy. I was picking up some stuff for my Losi Baja Rey at my LHS, and spotted this thing sitting in the glass cabinet.

Anyway, I combed the forums a bit and it looks like pretty much any upgrade part for the Slash 4x4 crosses over to the Rally correct?

I promised myself when I was buying it that I was going to leave it stock, but here I am hours later planning my upgrades!

What are the first major upgrades I should pursue on this rig?

Congrats! I want a Rally for an on-road build that can also be converted back to dirt when I want to do so.

RC Racer
    Hey - What's up man! You're on the RCCRAWLER forums as well eh? Recognized your screen name.

I creeped around over at RCC trying to find some info over there on the Rally, but doesn't look like there's much.

I literally just picked this thing up earlier today. Already starting mods after I swore I would leave it stock!

All in all, it seems to be a sweet little car. My understanding is it's just a Slash 4x4 with LCG chassis. I haven't owned a Slash 4x4 in at least 6 years though, so just trying to re-familiarize myself.
    Last edited by Double G; 01-10-2018 at 08:50 AM. Reason: watch the language!

RC Champion
    If it’s the new rally. It’s basically a Slash 4x4 with shorter arms. I find myself on the Slash 4x4 threads more than here as the traffic here isn’t good.
    -Super hopped MERV
    -Lidz by Skrizz

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrizz1777 View Post
    If it’s the new rally. It’s basically a Slash 4x4 with shorter arms. I find myself on the Slash 4x4 threads more than here as the traffic here isn’t good.
    Yep - seems like a lot more activity on the Slash forums as well. I just ordered Big Bores, Sway bar kit, Front and Rear Alum shock towers, C-Hubs, Knuckles, Rear carriers, Alum driveshaft and a few other goodies. This after I swore I was going to run it stock.

I knew I was lying to myself about that!

RC Racer
    Let me know how the driveshaft goes for you. I picked up an aluminum one (same as on my slash) but the front end of the driveshaft in the rally didn’t fit. It was different type of male end up front. I haven’t researched a fix yet but let me know if you do.

I went brushless with a mamba x and castle 4300kv motor so one of my first changes was the slipper clutch, traxxas 6878 fits right in and I also added 6893x (bearing adapter). May be stating the obvious but just in case, that slipper clutch comes with a 55t 32p spur so you’ll need a different pinion. I’m on a 14t and haven’t had much heat issues on 3s. Running a fan on the motor but I also don’t run it very long because I tend to drive hard and fast with the rally.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwny Danza View Post
    Let me know how the driveshaft goes for you. I picked up an aluminum one (same as on my slash) but the front end of the driveshaft in the rally didn’t fit. It was different type of male end up front. I haven’t researched a fix yet but let me know if you do.

I went brushless with a mamba x and castle 4300kv motor so one of my first changes was the slipper clutch, traxxas 6878 fits right in and I also added 6893x (bearing adapter). May be stating the obvious but just in case, that slipper clutch comes with a 55t 32p spur so you’ll need a different pinion. I’m on a 14t and haven’t had much heat issues on 3s. Running a fan on the motor but I also don’t run it very long because I tend to drive hard and fast with the rally.
    It won't fit without the hardened front spline. Part# 6888X.

Still trying to decide which brushless system I'm going to go to, but I'm definitely planning on 32p gears anyway.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
    It won't fit without the hardened front spline. Part# 6888X.
    Perfect. Thank you

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwny Danza View Post
    Perfect. Thank you
    No problem

Quote Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
    Hey - What's up man! You're on the RCCRAWLER forums as well eh? Recognized your screen name.

I creeped around over at RCC trying to find some info over there on the Rally, but doesn't look like there's much.

I literally just picked this thing up earlier today. Already starting mods after I swore I would leave it stock!

All in all, it seems to be a sweet little car. My understanding is it's just a Slash 4x4 with LCG chassis. I haven't owned a Slash 4x4 in at least 6 years though, so just trying to re-familiarize myself.
    Hey man. Yes, that's me over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Skrizz1777 View Post
    The rally has shorter A-arms than the Slash 4x4? Are there any other functional differences?
    Last edited by Double G; 01-10-2018 at 08:50 AM.

RC Racer
    @JatoTheRipper - No, other than the Telluride based A-arms, everything else is Slash 4x4LCG based. Just completed all the upgrades on mine, including a new Castle Mamba X and 3800kv brushless combo. Wow - what a difference over the brushed motor. I drove it twice with the brushed 550 can and was like aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh no. Insane power now.

RC poster
    I replaced the driveshaft, but there’s some serious grinding up front now. Not sure if it’s the cause or something else? Any help?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffdaddy View Post
    I replaced the driveshaft, but there’s some serious grinding up front now. Not sure if it’s the cause or something else? Any help?
    I had this problem on my rally a long time ago (the old, unlicensed, rally). The aluminum center driveshaft had bent and torn up my spur gear, front diff, rear diff, all bearings, and front diff housing. The front diff had been shaken around and slowly worn the front diff housing out until the diff was just floating loosely.

There also was a flaw in my rally where the ring gear didn't sit correctly in the diff housing and was rubbing the skid plate (acts as the diff cover) under it. I replaced the screws and the skid plate, I no longer have a problem.

Make sure that your male end of the driveshaft is sitting correctly and not binding. Check the bearings as well. Both of those should solve the problem.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.