RC poster

Monster Slash 2WD CC SCT 3800kv Gearing

I recently bought a slash 2wd and purchased the Castle Creations SCT 3800kv along with 2.8 duratrax lockup tires. I am only driving it around my yard in the grass and dirt along with a lot of ramping. I was curious which gearing is best for this setup. Im mostly wanting low end but would like a little bit of high end. I only run a Traxxas 5800 2S. Thank you in advance

Not sure what is stock, but when I had 2.8s on my 3800 I ran 15/90 and it was fine for temps.

Remember bigger wheels = more speed per turn of the motor.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    You can gear a good bit higher than that. I ran 32p gears and ran 58/16 on hottest days. That is 3.63:1 ratio. Comparable 48p gearing would be 86/24 which is 3.58. that gearing got me near 40mph on 2s. If your running 3s you will need to gear down a good bit.

This suggestion is just a starting point, you must check temps and adjust for your situation.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC poster
    Should I just gear it as if it were a stampede with the same motor? Castle recommends stampedes to be set at 86/16-20

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy1155 View Post
    Should I just gear it as if it were a stampede with the same motor? Castle recommends stampedes to be set at 86/16-20
    Maybe.. but a stampede is much smaller and lighter.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I wasn't considering the sidewinder esc when I posted that gear set above. While the 3800 motor can handle much taller gearing than what cc recommends, the sidewinder esc cannot. I was using a mamba max pro esc. If you gear the sidewinder esc as tall as my recommendation above, you could overwork it. Sorry for the bad advice.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I wasn't considering the sidewinder esc when I posted that gear set above. While the 3800 motor can handle much taller gearing than what cc recommends, the sidewinder esc cannot. I was using a mamba max pro esc. If you gear the sidewinder esc as tall as my recommendation above, you could overwork it. Sorry for the bad advice.
    Actually i run my sidewinder 83/21 with 2.8 trenchers without problems. I think that cold weather helps a lot xD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    Actually i run my sidewinder 83/21 with 2.8 trenchers without problems. I think that cold weather helps a lot xD.

The Pede is a lighter RC, to take this into account when gearing. And, like Rag6 said, check motor temps, it is a good idea whenever you make changes to your drive train (including tires). Generally you want your motor temps < 160*/f.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    The Pede is a lighter RC, to take this into account when gearing. And, like Rag6 said, check motor temps, it is a good idea whenever you make changes to your drive train (including tires). Generally you want your motor temps < 160*/f.
    I am checking my temps often. Never even close to 140. As I said maybe cold weather and cooling fan helps?