RC Racer

Gearing brushed to brushless

Hi guys, I have ordered the basic brushed system without a body with a view to upgrade to brushless later on.

Does anyone know if the vxl gearing is different to the brushed? I have a 540 brushless system lying around but want to get the most out of it with the recommended gearing.

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I’m running a 35t pinion and a 55t spur on the Titan 12t and it scoots! Temps can be high though with that so have to be weary.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwny Danza View Post
    I’m running a 35t pinion and a 55t spur on the Titan 12t and it scoots! Temps can be high though with that so have to be weary.
    You know, in my brushed 1/16 e-revo, I ran a Titan 12T with 31/45 gearing and was oblivious to temps, because I didn't know any better... I completely ruined that thing after about 5 runs (no, I didn't do speed runs.. I bashed with that gearing..) on 2 NiMh batteries.

The VXL system has a taller gear ratio. I would get a set of pinions from Robinson Racing (just to test, they aren't really for permanent use..) and see where that takes you. Remember, get a 32P pinion gear, not a 48P.
    MERV, Rustler VXL, X-Maxx
    @kbedrich - Thingiverse

RC Qualifier
    Do not get 32p gears!!! They are 48p in the 4tec2. I never ran my brushed motor because I switch motor first thing. My mother vxl one the stock gears seemed way too low and my motor was heating up. I put a bigger pinion and temps went down. Then I went even bigger and temps went back up.

RC Racer
    Hey SL4SHGT8BASHER,

What pinion/spur gears do you use with your VXL ?

My VXL has stock gearing (70 spur - 29 pinion), but on warmer days the motor is hitting the 160 (on 2s).
    I'll probably order the 28 and 26 pinion (didn't find a 27 pinion) and see where I get.

I don't mind losing a bit of speed if that keeps the engine in good shape.

RC Qualifier
    I have not run it in a while so I can't be sure, but I will check when I get home(I may have put the 55t spur). I also have two fans on the motor. It gets hot here in Houston, so I try to overcompensate with cooling as much as possible. Hopefully I can put some runtime on it this weekend and get back to u in the temps

RC Racer
    Thanx.
    I guess you use the 55t spur. After I posted my question I ran into another thread where you mentioned the 55t spur.

You mention using fans to cool the motor.
    Does it help much ?

RC Qualifier
    The fans made a HUGE difference.

RC Qualifier

I got one running 2 fans and one with a single big fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Thanks again for the info & pictures !
    I'll start with a 26 pinion.