RC Racer

Question Question About Converting to a Pull Start

Hi, I am thinking of swapping out the EZ Start system for a pull start. The description for the conversion (part 5170) says that "If the engine was not originally equipped with a starter, a different crankshaft is also required." By starter are they referring to the EZ Start motor?

Thanks in advance!
    Slash 4x4 w/TSM
    Revo 3.3

If your motor has an ez start sytem on it, the pull start you listed has everything you need to fit it.
    Just remove the ez start and fit your pull start.
    How do I know? Did that very thing on my Revo 3.3.

There are multiple shafts for the 3.3. You can have the IPS shaft with and without the starter nub on it. All Revos (except for the Platinum Edition) comes with the crankshaft w/the nub so that the starter shaft can attach to it. All you need to do is remove the EZ-Start and replace with the pull starter. Make sure the washer is left on the shaft between the back plate and the one-way bearing. In addition, the lettering on the OWB needs to face the engine.

The other crankshaft does not have a starter nub and you'll need the blank back plate on the engine and a larger flywheel and a starter box to start the engine.

You can remove the black and red wires but keep the blue and yellow for the glow plug and use the wand to warm the plug up. Or you could purchase a glow ignitor and remove all the wiring and toss the wand in your pile of parts.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    There are multiple shafts for the 3.3. You can have the IPS shaft with and without the starter nub on it. All Revos (except for the Platinum Edition) comes with the crankshaft w/the nub so that the starter shaft can attach to it. All you need to do is remove the EZ-Start and replace with the pull starter. Make sure the washer is left on the shaft between the back plate and the one-way bearing. In addition, the lettering on the OWB needs to face the engine.

The other crankshaft does not have a starter nub and you'll need the blank back plate on the engine and a larger flywheel and a starter box to start the engine.

You can remove the black and red wires but keep the blue and yellow for the glow plug and use the wand to warm the plug up. Or you could purchase a glow ignitor and remove all the wiring and toss the wand in your pile of parts.
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will probably just remove the entire EZ Start system and use a glow igniter. The EZ Start is starting to act up so I think it's time to switch to pull start.
    Slash 4x4 w/TSM
    Revo 3.3

Quote Originally Posted by roadsideracoon View Post
    The EZ Start is starting to act up so I think it's time to switch to pull start.
    The only problem that I've had with EZ Start was with the one way bearing, and I found
    that you don't get away from that with a pull start. More frequent maintenance on the bearing
    took care of that.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2 View Post
    The only problem that I've had with EZ Start was with the one way bearing, and I found
    that you don't get away from that with a pull start. More frequent maintenance on the bearing
    took care of that.
    That's ok. I just hate having to turn it all the way around again if I miss bottom dead center...
    Slash 4x4 w/TSM
    Revo 3.3

The OWB will not allow the crank to turn backwards so if you miss BDC you'll have to spin it another revolution.
    The Super Derecho