RC poster

Differential locking up

So, my sonís stampede vxl 2wd differential is bound up like it has a locker in it. I have taken it apart, cleaned and greased. It works great until I put the case back together. Then it bind up again. All the parts look good and turn fine until I push the cap all the way on. All the bars and gears are lined up. I have no idea what the fix is. Iíve ordered a new differential, but would really like to know why itís doing this. We have 2 Rusters in the house and I know the transmissions are the same. So if it happens again, Iíll know how to fix it.

Iím sure this has been covered before, but I didnít see anything addressing my issue exactly.

Thanks.

RC Racer
    Welcome aboard! I don't have the answer but someone will be Ali g shortly, I'm sure, that will get you fixed up.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Qualifier
    Have you checked the pinion and spur gear, or disconnect both axles off the diff and see if the wheels and axles turn freely. If those seem ok then either pull the trany and take covers off to check internals which might be the easiest. If you go to traxxas model show room click on your truck left hand column click support scroll down to exploded views pdf it and it will show you the internals don't be to intimidated by the amount of gears either try and do it your self or find someone that knows a little more. It's actually not that bad and kinda fun to learn.

if the diff is completely packed with grease when you put the cap on it will pressurize the grease and that would probably create the effect your describing
    try only filling it up most of the way and see if that works
    other then that im not sure what it could be
    cool ain't cheap -Dan Dreger

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Check to see that the spots where the cross pins mount to the inside of the diff are nit cracked? That is a probl3m ive not encountered or ever heard of. Very spooky haba
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by broitsseth View Post
    if the diff is completely packed with grease when you put the cap on it will pressurize the grease and that would probably create the effect your describing
    try only filling it up most of the way and see if that works
    other then that im not sure what it could be
    1. It's not sealed and it wouldn't do that, I pack mine full.

2. He already said it works fine until in the case.

RC poster
    Something's not right, try parts fro the other diffs or just try the different diff. Or convert it into a drift car.

RC Qualifier
    The gears inside the diff tend to bind. Always have. A pack of small bushed motor shims and some time is the answer. Put the shims on the pin that centers the output gears. Once you have it so that the binding stops, put the cover on and try it. Repeat til it spins free with the cover on and screwed down. Be careful not to over tighten the cover screws as that will cause the diff to bind as well. Lastly, fill diff with grease and reinstall the cover. After That the only thing you should need to do is repack the grease from time to time. If the diff case is changed, the steps will need repeated as each case is just slightly different.
    Does the output shafts have shims between the diff case and the bearing in the trans case? These may be a problem as well. Try removing them or using thinner ones if the above has no effect.
    There is also the option of putting an aftermarket diff that takes 1/8th scale diff fluid. They are all alum. and may have better clearances. I have not used them so do not know.
    Last edited by Snake eyes; 01-18-2018 at 05:06 PM.
    Snake Eyes Racing est. 1994 Stampede/MSC