RC poster

Stampede 4x4 VXL w/TSM Slipper Clutch acts loose? Never loosened.

I just recently purchased a Stampede 4x4 VXL w/TSM and I am in love with it however I had took it to the park today in a big open field and it was a blast. My girlfriend drives it for 1 minute and well next thing you know it's smoking and it doesn't accelerate like it used too. She flipped it and it was great and funny. The motor was extremely HOT.

I have a 5000 mah 35C battery and everything else is stock, if there is certain things I should do please let me know. I have ordered a smaller battery that will run me at a much slower speed but the fast battery got here first.

I have done a ton of research on this and haven't found anything besides the slipper clutch. I have found a video where someone ran their nitro powered rc with a loose slipper clutch and it ran just like mine. I thought my pinion was slipping with the slipper gear but it seems like the closest thing i could find was a loose slipper clutch and it seems to be acting exactly like mine is.

I'm not sure how this could loosen itself like this? If this is even the issue? I have spoke with someone at an RC shop and I am going in tomorrow unless I can fix the issue myself. I have also read that loosening the slipper clutch will make it so your tires don't peel out as much. My RC can get up to speed but slowly and if I was to hold the radio accelerator (sorry for bad terminology, rookie here) it will get up to speed but much slower.

Also... the smoke may have been caused from a piece of the dead hay/grass getting inside the motor somehow?

Thank you and hope you guys can help!

One thing you can try before you take it in, is to tighten the slipper clutch nut all the way tight. If it runs fine then your slipper was too loose. I never rely on the lock nuts they use and have had many that loosen themselves from the high pitch from the motor or whatever. I think they should put a set screw on it.
    If that works. Tighten the nut all the way down and then loosen 1/4 turn out. I keep mine tight so i never run into the problem of it coming loose. Give it a try. you can at least get the answer you are looking for.

The smoke could have been from your slipper getting very hot too.
    Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    One thing you can try before you take it in, is to tighten the slipper clutch nut all the way tight. If it runs fine then your slipper was too loose. I never rely on the lock nuts they use and have had many that loosen themselves from the high pitch from the motor or whatever. I think they should put a set screw on it.
    If that works. Tighten the nut all the way down and then loosen 1/4 turn out. I keep mine tight so i never run into the problem of it coming loose. Give it a try. you can at least get the answer you are looking for.

The smoke could have been from your slipper getting very hot too.
    So i just took the slipper clutch out and here is some of the photos. I think the slipper pads burnt up, not sure if they will still work in this condition.

Last edited by jcrane164; 01-11-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Pads don't look that bad. You can try a new pad kit but I don't think its you problem. How does the pressure plate look. That does have a tendency to get very slick. Did you tighten the nut and try it. It does look tight already but looks can be deceiving.
    Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    Pads don't look that bad. You can try a new pad kit but I don't think its you problem. How does the pressure plate look. That does have a tendency to get very slick. Did you tighten the nut and try it. It does look tight already but looks can be deceiving.
    I have tightened the nut as much as i could and 1/4 off a little but its slipping bad still. Is there another form of communication that you have, you're literally one of the only people that I've been able to get quality help from.

Last edited by jcrane164; 01-11-2018 at 06:19 PM.

I don't understand why no one else is chiming in on this. I am not an expert but do the best i can to help. Usually someone with more experience jumps right in. Maybe they will now that i mentioned it. Not sure if your problem could be in your diff. With the smoke I guess it could be in the electronics. You can PM me here, if you don't get more help.
    Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    I don't understand why no one else is chiming in on this. I am not an expert but do the best i can to help. Usually someone with more experience jumps right in. Maybe they will now that i mentioned it. Not sure if your problem could be in your diff. With the smoke I guess it could be in the electronics. You can PM me here, if you don't get more help.
    Yea im not sure I took apart the entire thing and here is what the slipper pads look like;

also...

RC poster
    Update: took apart the entire slipper clutch and adjusted the slipper nut as tight as i could and then untightened 1/4 and now its back to normal.

This was good for me because now i know a ton more about this thing.

I don't think anyone else was chiming in because lektro had it covered pretty well. Thanks for the update and I'm glad you are back up and running!

I just read this thread lol. Thats the same style slipper my revo n tmaxx have. Use some sand paper n scuff the pressure plate on the side that touches the pads, it gives it a little grip

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Glad you got it fixed jcrane. next time you should go a little further while you have it apart. The more you take apart the more you learn. If you take things apart and forget how they go back together. Traxxas always has the spec and breakdown sheets. Its a great site. Congrats on getting er fixed. another happy RCer woot woot You might want to look into getting the Gen 3 slipper clutch. Very nice piece.
    Last edited by lektro; 01-11-2018 at 10:16 PM.
    Choose Life !!!