RC poster

Question 2WD Nitro Slash Starting Problems

I got my Nitro Slash last month with no problems until 2 days ago. I put after run oil in my carburetor 2 days ago. I tried to start my Slash yesterday, but it would not work. I adjusted the high speed needle 1/4 clockwise, as I read that higher nitro content requires a turn in the needle. I'm using 30% nitro.

I also took the cooling head off yesterday to apply some after run oil on the piston head. I had some trouble today with fuel leaking out of the bottom part of the head due to the head not being tight enough. I also turned the HSN 1/4 counter-clockwise afterwards (restoring factory settings).

Apparently my glow plug burnt out, so I installed a new one (EZ Starter showed a glow plug failure) today. I started it up today, and it made this odd scratchy sound, and seemed weak. I took the head off again and put it back on. I started it up an hour ago, and it seemed kinda weak. It wasn't doing wheelies anymore. Then, I flipped it over, and the engine quit. Kinda normal to me, or so it seemed.

I then tried to start it again, but for some reason, the EZ-starter's glow plug light was not lighting up, showing a glow plug failure.

What's the problem? I have no idea what is going on. My engine sounds odd, and now I have a second possible failed glow plug? What should I do?

RC poster
    Iím having the same problem currently. If someone could help us that would be great.

Go back to factory settings on the carb. Don't adjust the needles until the engine is warmed and the tank half full of fuel.

If you took the head off, make sure that the head gasket is back in place and tighten the screws in a star pattern like you would for your auto tire.

Engines need four things to run: air, fuel, glow and compression. Air is pretty much 0.1% of the problem. Fuel needs to be metered to the right amount - factory is a good start. GLow can be confirmed by removing the black wire from the starter, remove the glow plug and attach the blue wire to the plug and then with the wand inserted and hold the plug against a non-anodized part of the block and it should glow. Compression can be felt when turning the engine over by hand with the plug installed. The better way is to disassemble the engine and if the piston goes through the top of the cylinder then it needs rebuilding.

One other problem is that the clutch spring gets stretched and/or a shoe breaks at a pin causing drag. Remove the bell to check the clutch.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Thanks I will try that.