RC Enthusiast

Two of the differential screws won't tighten?

I just finished servicing the differentials on my X-Maxx. However, after adding oil to the spider gears on the front differential, two of the screws won't tighten down 100%...they just keep turning. The other two screws tightened just fine. I'm talking about the screws that secure the two halves of the differential together. Is this OK?

RC Qualifier
    The screws will come out
    Replace it with tra7781x
    Or
    7781 plastic
    fabricator

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks, so are the screws stripped? Never mind, I see that the housing is plastic...so the plastic threads must be stripped in the housing. You would think the plastic would last more than the first time I ever opened the differential. You all think I'm Ok to run the X-Maxx tomorrow in this condition? I won't be able to visit my LHS until Sunday.
    Last edited by racin06; 01-12-2018 at 08:58 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by racin06 View Post
    Thanks, so are the screws stripped? Never mind, I see that the housing is plastic...so the plastic threads must be stripped in the housing. You would think the plastic would last more than the first time I ever opened the differential. You all think I'm Ok to run the X-Maxx tomorrow in this condition? I won't be able to visit my LHS until Sunday.
    Yea I had the same issue. After only a few rebuilds the screws strip out. I use the hr cups and use a little loctite and they are more secure. I actually had the screws back out and damage the gears from slight play, been good ever since.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Pull the screws and inspect the threads. Are the threads shaved down? If so get new screws. If not get new stock cups. Either will be cheap. Even both will be way cheaper than 2 alum diff cups. Maybe it only needs better screws? Find the base of the problem b4 you throw money at it.

No I would not run it.
    Last edited by rag6; 01-13-2018 at 12:18 AM.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...